PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go to Tri-ess meetings?

Shannon CD
11-29-2006, 12:05 AM
I was wondering how many of us have attended their local Tri-Ess chapter meeting? It seems like a good way to network with other CDs and to be someplace where we feel accepted. I went to one last month and am planning to go to the one here in the L.A. area next weekend.

Any opinions? Anyone members? If so, is it worth joining?

sterling12
11-29-2006, 12:16 AM
Hi Shannon:

Oh yeah, Joanie is a happy, Tri-Ess Gurl! I'll be going to a dinner Friday night and a Meeting in Orlando on Saturday. Out with the Gurl's after the meetings and dinner.

Tampa Chapter meets next week. If I could join a third Group, I'd probably do it.

Some of the nicest people that I've ever met have come about because of my Tri-Ess Affiliation. For me, it really is an important part of my life. It has given me the opportunities to advance and grow. A HUGE first step, when I came out of The Closet.

Tri-Ess gets a big "Thumbs Up", from me!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Joanie B
11-29-2006, 03:43 AM
I was wondering how many of us have attended their local Tri-Ess chapter meeting? It seems like a good way to network with other CDs and to be someplace where we feel accepted. I went to one last month and am planning to go to the one here in the L.A. area next weekend.

Any opinions? Anyone members? If so, is it worth joining?

Hi,
I am a member of Tri Ess near Chicago.
I don't always attend each month, but it seems to be a good place to hang out with other CD/TG's and hopefully learn something. Also, if you are married, they do have a couples sub group, as well as a subgroup for spouses only.

Altho their main constituency is Married Hetero Male to Female CD's, they seem to allow anyone who is a CD to join regardless of marital status. I am single, and I am welcomed.

They also have a national quarterly magazine, and most chapters have a local newsletter, or at least mine does.

Hope this helps.

Hugs,
Joanie B.

JoAnnDallas
11-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I have been trading emails with the Dallas Trie-ess chapter for some time. I was invited to attend HEF2006. I attended Tri-Ess's HEF2006 earlier this month and got to formally meet with the officers of the Dallas Tri-Ess Chapter. It was so great to meet other Tri-Ess members from all over the country that weekend. She emailed me the following Monday, telling me I had my formal interview and welcome to the Dallas Tri-Ess Chapter. I plan to attend the Janurary meeting.

cdbrandi
11-29-2006, 10:42 AM
I have been wanting tp go to a meeting for some time now, but the nearest group is a 4 hour drive away, well actually 3 hours drive time and crossing to a different time zone, and the fact that things just have not fallen into place for me to actually make it to an event yet (money or conflicting events, i live a very hetict life on the weekends). Anyway, here is to hopeing that I will someday make a meeting!!!!

krisinpink
11-29-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm planning to attend my first Tri-Ess meeting in a little under two weeks! I'm looking forward to it!

KarenSusan
11-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Living in the San Francisco Bay area, I think the nearest chapter is in Sacramento. That's a little too far away to drive.

Dawn D.
11-29-2006, 02:27 PM
If there was one in my area I would join and attend.:brokenheart:

Dawn

JenniferR771
11-29-2006, 02:28 PM
I go to Tri-Ess, Lambda Mu chapter in mid Michigan. About 20 attendees, and about 6 wives. Gurls stand around in dresses, wigs and heels and talk about crossdressing, and business. Women wear jeans and flats and gather in kitchen and talk about receipes and decorating. Sometimes there is a guest speaker or makeup or wig demo. Dinner is potluck--usually delicious--we eat good! Location is private and a changeing room is provided--which i use.
Several members from Detroit to Grand Rapids area always come.
New people must meet with the group president (Sandra Stewart) so that he/she can screen out reporters and curiosity seekers. New people can meet with group president on the night of the meeting to save a trip. New people need not dress the first few times. We understand.
Sometimes there is a swap meet where we try to give away excess dresses, wigs, heels and jewelry.

Marcie Sexton
11-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Good for you, I just wish we had a chapter closer than Charlotte, NC. I know there were several splinter chapter that tried to start up in the Huntington/Charleston area, but for one reason or another they all folded...

Consider yourself lucky that you don't live PLUM in the middle of no where and 40 miles from any thing...

I think there is some one else that knows this area who can testify to that too...

KimberlyS
11-29-2006, 03:07 PM
I have not been a member of Tri-Ess due to the fact the nearest one is over 5 hours away. I am in the process of joining the national organization. My wife and I have attended the Tri-Ess SPICE conference a year and a half ago, which was well done and worth going to. Since that time I have been able to join some of those we met at that conference and some others for several outings which two of them both my wife and I attended.

I must say from what I have seen of the organization it is mostly good and they seem to get a bad rap from many because they focus their support for the heterosexual CDer, wifes, and their families. But I know many other organizations focus their support on different needs and groupings like TS's, gay, or some fetish for some examples.

Also I know many of the Tri-Ess groups do a lot of out reach activities to other different organizations, schools, and colleges. And there out reach and education includes the whole TG spectrum.

The only minor bad thing I noticed, and I do not think it is not coming from the Tri-Ess organization but more from those involved that I have met. But they tend to indirectly push CDers to be "more of a CDer" for lack of better words. They want CDers to look their best and go out. And I say that this is minor because that is what many want to do. But I am not sure how comfortable a CDer that just wants to be a guy in femme clothes in some form, and does not want to present a female persona would be within the organization and how accepted he would be on outings. But I would say that I will soon be finding out

Other than that, every organization has its better chapters/groups. A group is only as good as the people within it, and every person does not always click with all other persons. So I would say it is worth at least checking out the group and joining for a year to see how you fit in. They have some great resources and being able to talk with others of similar interests is great, and to do it face to face is more enjoyable to me than doing it on-line because it is more personal and real. This forum is great, but it does miss the up close, personal, visual, and can touch part of a relationships/friendships. Not too many people are married and have never seen and touch their spouse in person. :roflmao: :roflmao:

And as for a chapter being too far away, I say it is more about a person's wants and needs than the distance. I know there are people part to the Denver chapter that come from way up into WY and make most of the meetings. And I also bet there are people within Denver that make few of the meetings.

"The farther you come to get the information, the more you will get out of it." Reed

KimberlyS - CD

Robingirl
11-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I am a member of the Tri-Ess group in South Jersey. Its like any other group - if its a good,friendly,sociable group its well worth being a member. Best way in my opinion is to go as a guest a few times to see how you feel and if you want to join after that. The people make the group, not the other way around. Huggs - Robin

linnea
11-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I've been looking for a chapter to join, but as far as I know, the nearest one to me is at least a couple of hours away. That's too much right now; maybe things will be different in the spring.

Janelle Marshall
11-29-2006, 04:42 PM
I am a member of the Tu Epsilon Mu chapter in MN. I have met some very nice people, cders, wives, and other family members at the meetings. The focus is definately on the hetero cder and SO as that is the national charter focus of Tri-Ess. Our chapter has monthly meetings, monthly outings such as dinner and or a play etc. and a non dressed event for family and friends to let the SOs and family members see everyone as just people. This is a very non-threatening way for dubious SOs to break in to the group. I have not sensed any pressure ever for any member to take their CDing to another level, but the opportunity is there within the group in a supportive, safe and if desired, private only setting. I recommend you look into the local TriEss chapter to see if it is for you.
Janelle

Helen in OK
11-29-2006, 09:10 PM
Shannon,

I have just joined a TriEss chapter. I was at one event last month, and on the 9th of Dec, our chapter will be have a fancy dress dinner.

It is a great way to meet with others who like to dress as well. They will even help you get accustom to being out in "public", not just being out to a tg event.

Helen in OK

Rebecca Petersen
11-29-2006, 09:29 PM
For you No. California girls, there is a chapter in Sacramento. The link is provided below. The home page is outdated, but someone will respond. Good luck.
http://www.geocities.com/Sigma_Delta_Gamma/

Audrey34
11-29-2006, 09:34 PM
I want to go so badly. But I'm still a bit timid to do so. Also, the nearest chapter to me is a long bus ride away and on the weekend it's darn near inpossible to get public transportation to that location! So right now I'm kinda stuck.
-Audrey

Phoebe Reece
11-30-2006, 12:38 AM
I am the newsletter editor and a member of the Administrative Board for the Sigma Epsilon chapter in Atlanta. We have a very active organization. Our monthly meetings are actually a full weekend of activities. We have members who regularly come from all over Georgia, Alabama, North & South Carolina, and Florida to attend our meetings. I can't speak for the other chapters, as all run things a bit differently, but Sigma Epsilon has a lot to offer. Anyone wanting more info can send me a PM.

Paula Rae
11-30-2006, 04:45 AM
In the East Bay Area of Northern California:
There's the "Diablo Valley Girls" who meet on the 1st and 3rd Mondays of every month from 8-11, we meet in Walnut Creek,
our meetings are socials, informal and a lot of fun. If you are interested email me at:
G8est-cd@yahoo,com

Paula Rae

ShannonDragon
11-30-2006, 07:02 PM
I am not a member of Tri-Ess, but do belong to our local (Indianapolis area) support group IXE. We are having our Christmas party the 9th.

:tongueout

mona lisa
11-30-2006, 07:04 PM
...until now

Butterfly Bill
11-30-2006, 08:41 PM
They don't like "bearded ladies", so I've never gone.

Joy Carter
11-30-2006, 08:45 PM
They have not replied to my Email from four months ago.:o

DonnaT
12-01-2006, 02:56 PM
They have not replied to my Email from four months ago.:o

Email them again. The recipient may not have received it for any number of reasons.

Shannon CD
12-02-2006, 12:24 AM
I plan on going to the next meeting, which happens to be their Holiday Party. It is on the Alpha chapter webpage as being held on December 9th. If any of you other gurls are from the Southern California/Los Angeles area I would love to meet someone from this forum. This may be the perfect opportunity to do that.

Rachel Morley
12-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Hummm...what can I say about Tri-Ess. Well on the good side they are a fantastic place to go if you want to take your first tentative steps outside and go to public places en femme. They also have a good degree of friendship and commoradory amongst members. Each chapter can vary quite a bit, ours in Sacramento is quite large and has a strong social theme to it. We rarely talk about anything at our socials except food, drink, shopping and clothes :D Only kidding, but it is always held at a TG friendly resturant and is always full of fun and not of a serious nature at all. It's about being en femme, socializing, and being happy.

Bad things?....well, I'm not going to say too much on this but there's an annual membership fee of about 50 bucks and they are not comfortable with anyone who considers themselves to be anything other than a heterosexual crossdresser.

Maria2004
12-02-2006, 02:16 AM
They don't like "bearded ladies", so I've never gone.

Oh silly Billy, your gay, single and free :happy: Those of us who join Tri-Ess are none of the above. I've read your previous posts and admire your intelligence and insight. What's your real beef with Tri-Ess? I hope you respond in the open (if at all) and not via PM for the benifit of all.

Love :hugs:

Maria

Elizabeth Anne
12-03-2006, 11:23 PM
I have been a member off & on since 1995 of Sigma Epsilon in Atlanta. Our Christmas party is coming up this weekend.

Butterfly Bill
12-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh silly Billy, your gay, single and free :happy: Those of us who join Tri-Ess are none of the above. I've read your previous posts and admire your intelligence and insight. What's your real beef with Tri-Ess? I hope you respond in the open (if at all) and not via PM for the benifit of all.

Love :hugs:

Maria

Their basic trip of you have to look all the way feminine or not at all, nothing in between. This only serves to perpetuate the very rigid gender roles that they protest against. When a man can put on a dress and still remain a man as a woman can now conversely put on trousers, that will be when the revolution is truly realized, not when a man can succeed in deceiving others that he is a woman.

I think that this basic deceit is what bothers a lot of straight people about lots of crossdressers, and I think that a lot of the acceptance that I am able to get is because of my honesty. They see me as a liberated man, and that's cool. I am not somebody unhappy with himself and trying to be a woman, and that is something a lot of people have problems with. I daresay that if rigid sex roles truly broke down, the people who consider themselves transexuals would not feel so much the need to alter thair bodies.

(And I am not gay, altho I am as queer as a 4 dollar and 13 cent bill.)

Krystenw
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
I would, but haven't found any in Utah.

Phoebe Reece
12-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Bill,
The main reasons most Tri-Ess chapters have rules about dressing completely as a woman is because they are trying to encourage participation by as many wives / SO's as possible and are also trying to show the public we are not quite as strange as most think we are. Our chapter in Atlanta has no problem with "bearded ladies" as members. We do have a rule that restricts them from going out in public with the group to functions in public places. They are free to dress in the meeting suite; it's just leaving the suite that's the issue. We have one member (who is also named Bill) who has always had a beard. He "underdresses" when he attends our meetings (at least he says he does). He has talked for two years about shaving the beard, doing makeup, and dressing completely. He hasn't done it yet and that's OK with us. There's no pressure from the rest of us for him to do anything different. We are a support group.

Our chapter's guidelines (or dress code) states:
"We meet in public places such as the hotel and restaurants. We expect members and guests to dress appropriately and act accordingly. Conservative ladylike attire is best for daytime activities and dinner/cocktail dresses are fine for dinner. Provocative, fetish, sexy or androgynous (partial male/female) attire costume is never acceptable."

Maria2004
12-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I think that this basic deceit is what bothers a lot of straight people about lots of crossdressers, and I think that a lot of the acceptance that I am able to get is because of my honesty. They see me as a liberated man, and that's cool. I am not somebody unhappy with himself and trying to be a woman, and that is something a lot of people have problems with.

Yep, total agreement. As far as your previous inditement of Tri-Ess as a whole as being 2 faced I disagree with.

(And I am not gay, altho I am as queer as a 4 dollar and 13 cent bill.)

Opps, sorry about that. I seemed to get that impression from reading your previous posts. Misperceptions can be a curse but can be cleared up via open and honest communication. Thanks for responding Bill. :hugs:

Love

Maria

Di
12-05-2006, 04:29 AM
I would go as a visit first to see if you connect with the group before paying the fee to join.