PDA

View Full Version : I came out to a complete stranger! Wow!

Paula A
01-13-2005, 06:53 PM
You not going to believe this I was down in Newburgh yesterday driving right down the main drag :p and I saw this hot pink store front, for I think B&V Discount Beauty supply. the window was full of wigs and such. I wheeled my Durango around and parked, we'll finally, I drove back and forth a few times tring to make up my mind and gather up my courage and also it is not a nice part of town, :eek: Mostly to make up my mind and go in.

Anyway I went in and this place was wall to wall wigs and beauty supply. I asked for natural fiber wigs got pointed in the right direction. while I was looking this little oriental lady asked if I needed some assistance. Here is the best part, I said yes, and she asked is this for you and I said um... uh.. aaa... Yes! Im looking for a nice human hair wig and I went a bit from there it just rolled on out. She helped me, she sat me down in front of a mirror and we went through four or five before I settled on one. It was so cool But I was a nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs! Guess what, I walked out of there with human hair wig -wow are they worth it and a cap - you have to purchass a cap when trying on wigs -all for about $38.00

I almost ran out of the place, when I hit the sidewalk I almost clicked up my heels - you know Fred Astair style, but that wouldn't be lady like - about a mile away I wanted to go back to shop the rest of the store. I was so happy about the wig and outing myself I forgot to check out the rest of the place. Her name is Kim and she and her son run the place and she speaks only broken english But Im used to that. However it really is idown n the Gut of town. Anyway when i got on the T-way I had to put it on and drove back to Albany with it that way! (there wasn't much traffice in the ice/rain storm)
I was so wound up. not just because of the cool place where I found some really great deals but because I came out to her and she understood :) and was very helpful I can not wait for the next sales trip back to newburgh because I'm not sure about the style, I was thinking last night it would be neat to be a dark red head.

Anyway I thought I share this with you girls as well. I was just so pumped up, I was on cloud 9, what a high. I'm going to see about getting some photos tommorow if I have time.

Julie
01-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Congratulations Paula, I'm very pleased and proud of you. Well done on the wig also.

JJ

Paula A
01-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Thank you, it feels great the wig, yeaterday I felt as if the weight of the world had lifted off my shoulders if only for a little while. I hope it goes that well when I tell my wife.

Melissa A.
01-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Paula, Was great to read the story again.

Good luck coming out with your wife. You know I will be thinking of you, and hoping for the best. Talk to you soon.

Hugs,

Melissa :)

Vallari
01-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Congratulations on coming out to the store owner. It takes a lot of guts to do that especially for the first time. It can only get easier from this point on! :)

I wish you the best of luck for when you decide to tell your wife.

Wenda
01-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Isn't that great!?! I know what you mean. You encounter a special moment, a special person, a special place...and...it all unfolds...!!! excellent...good for you... enjoy, savour, carry on. wenda.

sherri
01-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Your avatar legs make my mouth water.

Wendy me
01-13-2005, 09:33 PM
sounds like a real good deal the store owner sounded nice,.....good shopping trip

barbiecd
01-13-2005, 09:39 PM
What a Rush! And it turned out well. You should be very proud of yourself hon.
Hugs
Barbie

Tristen Cox
01-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Cool Paula! Sounds more like cloud 19 to me..hehe ;) When you get the chance you should go back and check the rest of the place out, you may have missed some other things you'd like. Good luck with the pictures if you have the time, we'd love to see you.

*hugs*
Tristen

DonnaT
01-14-2005, 07:59 AM
There's a wig shop near DC that is run by a Korean lady. It's where I got the wig in my avatar. Same thing, she has a lot of CD customers locally and has no problem sitting us down and tring different styles on us.

I'll talk frankly with girls at makeup counters too.

sherri
01-14-2005, 12:27 PM
Paula, were you en femme when you bought the wig? If not, I'd say you've found a place where you can, and that, gurl, would have to be a rush. Must do.

I bought my first wig at a kiosk in the mall. I was in drab, but I admitted to the sales girl it was for me. She wanted me to try it on right there, but I said no way. Also purchased a couple of cheapies from a vendor at our local flea market, where I said they were for me. Run by a gay guy.

But recently I went into a local off-the-beaten-path retail wig store, again in drab, and told the male hetero owner I was shopping for myself. He encouraged me to try wigs on, and I purchased a nice one. As I was leaving, I asked him if it would be okay if I came back en femme and he said sure. I look forward to it, big time.

Keep us posted if you go back.

Paula A
01-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Thank you everyone - it certainly was a rush and I encourage anyone who gets the chance to sit down and try on the wigs, a couple that looked good on the dummy did not look all that great on this dummy. Just like the dress, looked good on the rack but makes your butt look fat when you get it home.
I will definatly be going back.

Good luck with the pictures if you have the time, we'd love to see you.Tristen

Well I thought that I would have time this morning to take some pictures however after applying the proper coatings of make up I sat in front of the mirror trying out different styles with my hair to see what looked the best. Before I knew it I was running late for my first appointment. I really lost track of time.

Paula, were you en femme when you bought the wig? If not, I'd say you've found a place where you can, and that, gurl, would have to be a rush. Must do.

I was in normal drab clothes since I was in the area making a sales call. If it is much more of a rush en femme I don't know if I would be able to handle it. My heart did not slow down and the shaking didn't leave my leggs for miles afterward. What fun it would be. It would be even more fun to get a bunch of us girls together for makeovers and wig shopping fun. What a party that would be. we have a top flight beauty salon up here that will schedule time for CDs (evan has a back door) But as you can guess it has top flight costs for all the make up and wigs.

Sweet Susan
01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Outstanding. I've had a similar experience, also while buying a wig. I now go back to that store and the owner, very much a macho man, treats me with respect and dignity. I love it. He fawns over me while in his store and is always helpful, suggestive, and never says anything negative about me or what I do. Also, he always discounts the price. Love it.

sherri
01-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Donna, that is a really cute wig and fits your face so well! Good taste gurl.

Paula A
01-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Susan,
what I find is that if you go into a small shop, no matter what you are buying and deal with the owner 90% of the time you will end up with good service, they want/need your money. nothing wrong with it and after ahile you develope a rapore with the owner it gets even better as they want you to come back. It is so cool and so much fun I guess I'll just have to make more sales calls in that neck of the woods.

DonnaT
01-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks Sherri. My wife helped pick it out.

LindaTS
01-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Way to go Paula. I'm still looking for a place to have my wigs taken care of enfemme in the Utica area. Hope I hit the jackpot like you did.

racheal
01-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Oh WOW, simply ---- outstanding! Way to go!

Paula A
01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Linda;
I don't know if I would go into that place in newburg en-femme, but at least i was able to find a place completely by accident. however there is a place in the albany area only about an hour and twenty from you that has a private back room or used to, anyway I forgot the girls name but she would provide wig fitting/trimming services and make up lessons / make overs. go check out Yavonne's place for crossdressers, (web site - google it) she is another local and she put a lot of frendly places on her site.

Racheal -thanks.

I have to go back that way tommorow, I might just have to go shopping if I have time, to check out the rset of the store.

Stay warm everyone

LindaTS
01-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Linda;
I don't know if I would go into that place in newburg en-femme, but at least i was able to find a place completely by accident. however there is a place in the albany area only about an hour and twenty from you that has a private back room or used to, anyway I forgot the girls name but she would provide wig fitting/trimming services and make up lessons / make overs. go check out Yavonne's place for crossdressers, (web site - google it) she is another local and she put a lot of frendly places on her site.

Racheal -thanks.

I have to go back that way tommorow, I might just have to go shopping if I have time, to check out the rset of the store.

Stay warm everyone

Thanks Paula, I'll keep this in mind in case I can't find something closer to me.

StephanieCD
01-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Bravo! You inspire me to do the same in some small way :) (I'll let you know!) And $38 for a real hair wig?! Did I get that right?