PDA

View Full Version : Changes in attitude

lara_myklund
05-23-2004, 06:05 PM
I posted this in the 'lounge' a few weeks ago, and no-one really looked at it (aawwww....), but I wasn't sure if this was cos no-one looks at posts there:

Got into a conversation at work today about how peoples attitudes have changed in the last few decades on a number of issues, such as homosexuality, gender and race.
It got me thinking, if society can radically alter it's attitudes to these (alright - there is still racism, sexism and homophobia, but nothing like the 50's 60's 70's or even 80's), maybe in the next decade or so, crossdressing might become much more openly accepted.
Things like a particularly thought-provoking film, a popular high-profile cross-dresser coming out of the closet, a crossdressing storyline in a Soap Opera, and there could be a dramatic change in attitudes - crossdressing could even become trendy!

The internet has given us a chance to communicate feelings like this, in a way that in the past might have been buried deep deep down (feel the love baby).
Five or maybe ten years ago could you have imagined participating in a forum of this sort? For the majority of crossdressers, it was a secret the they might well have taken to the grave.
If a few entreprenuers realised how much money there potentially is around cross-dressing, the marketing people could make big inroads into people perceptions, and internet sale could be the catalyst for this.
Crossdressing, something that was previously unmeasurable, suddenly is. Hit counters on sites like this speak for themselves.
It is amazing how quickly attitudes change when there is money to be made.

Am I too optimistic?

Gabrielle
05-23-2004, 06:57 PM
I think you are correct.

Everything in life does revolve around money.

I think that some have already started to see that. If you look at the fashion shows from over the past few years, you would notice an increase in men fashion that falls to a more metrosexual or even down right feminine look.

Now, if only there were more serious films or such regarding crossdressing.
Only, I haven't seem any yet. Most of what I have seen have crossdressing as a way to get a laugh. Which does not help the image.

I think you are correct.
Maybe we should start a business and try to capitalize on this. :D

Abraxas
05-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I do think it will become more widely accepted in time...
As for a high- profile guy... Eddie Izzard, who started out with a small cult following, is quickly becoming more and more famous. He's an open transvestite; came out when he was 23. He's mainly a comedian but is taking more and more roles in films because his main ambition is to be a dramatic actor. You can check him out in "the Cat's Meow" where he plays Charlie Chaplin, "All the Queen's Men" where he plays a transvestite, "Mystery Men"-- Tony P. (gets killed by a bowling ball)...
As for new films that will be coming out in the next year or so: "Romance and Cigarettes," "The Wild," "Five Children and It," "Oceans Twelve," and his new documentary "Diva 51".
I think this will be good for the transvestite/ crossdresser community.

eleventhdr
05-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah crossdressing was not always high profile like it has bcome of very recent. But it was alwaya ther maybe underground in the 60's like a lot of stuff was back then I lived through those times. So I can recall how it was i do wish I had found it back then myself things might be diffferent for me and a lot of others as well if we had found it back then. But crossdressing has always been around for a very long time you do see. So yeah sure we can still win the day for us now and for those who went before . So we must never give up. Thank's this cd never will. Jay Suzy Ann!.