PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a human hair wig?

ChristineRenee
01-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi girls,

I'm interested in getting a couple of human hair wigs as all my wigs are synthetic. I know that they are very expensive, but the quality is so superior. I was wondering if any of you out there have purchased one at a very reasonable price and can recommend a website that sells them at same. Thanks.:)

Love,
Christine Renee

Paula A
01-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I just found some at a local shop and after I tried on a few I decided that the difference was worth it. :) The hair looked real, felt real maybe because it is real. It truely was worth it especially since I got a good deal on one. :D

Go for it girl you won't regret it.

Melissa A.
01-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi christine, Get the real hair. RUN and get the real hair. The difference is astounding. Not only does it look better, but you can do stuff with it. style, mousse, spray, rollers, even a curling iron! (careful with that, though). I love mine. Cost me 100 dollars at a local shop. Paula, who answered you also, got a great deal where she got hers. (Hi Paula!)

From what I have seen, they are pretty pricey online. Maybe if you look around your area, you can find a nice one at a good price.

But in my opinion, whatever you spend, it will be worth it!

Good luck, sweetie!

Hugs,

Melissa :)

ChristineRenee
01-13-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks Melissa & Paula. Actually $100 isn't too bad. I googled human hair wig sites and some of the sites on the web want $500-$700. That is just waaaay outa my price range too. I'll keep checking around but I just wondered if anyone got a really good deal from one of the sites online anywhere is all.

Thanks for the feedback gals and good to know you both bought a quality product.:cool:

Love,
Christine Renee

sherri
01-13-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm not trying to be the lone dissenter. In fact, I don't know that I am dissenting. But I have read that human hair wigs deteriorate more rapidly than synthetic, becoming brittle. I have one, but not long enough to know if it's true.

I do know for certain that with synthetic wigs, you get what you pay for and there is a vast difference between the cheapies and the really good ones. I now own two quality synthetics, one blonde and one brunette, that are difficult to tell from real hair and I luv them.

True, human hair wigs can be styled more easily than synthetics. Then again, you pretty much have to style them because they don't hold a style like a synthetic.

I think the real difference between a good wig and a bad one is in how it's tied.

ChristineRenee
01-13-2005, 08:30 PM
That is probably true sherri. I have a number of synthetic wigs and they really
do hold their shape well and I have had most of them for a lot of years now.

Another reason for wanting a human hair wig, other than the many positive things that I have already heard about them, is that I would like to update my look to reflect my true age more. Of course, I could also do that with the synthetic ones as well, but this gives me the opportunity...it sounds better than excuse...to try something new and different as most of my current wigs are so similar in style and color.

Thanks for your input on this sherri.:)

Love,
Christine Renee

sherri
01-13-2005, 08:51 PM
You're welcome sweetie. And as far as I'm concerned, you provided the very best reason for getting a new wig: cuz you want one!!! Let us know what you get, or better yet, show us.

xoxo

Vickie-CD
01-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Christine, my mother retired from a beauty shop (she is deceased now), but I have seen the beauticians do beautiful styling on the human hair wigs. Expensive, yes, but well worth it. They can also be dyed , permed, you name it.
Love,
Vickie

ChristineRenee
01-14-2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks Vickie...I never realized that. That would certainly be a big plus factor in any decision to purchase them.

Thanks again for the info hon!:)

Love,
Christine Renee

MonaSmith
01-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Hi Christine,

I have a couple of human hair wigs and a few synthetic ones. While it is true that the synthetic ones hold their shape better, if you are going for longer straighter hair then human moves and feels much better. I would recomend human hair every time, just try to by the most expensive one you can from a good wig supplier as, as with all things in life, you get what you pay for.

I have had one of my human hair wigs for a few years and, as with your normal head hair, if you don't over process the hairand make sure that you and clean and condition it well, it will last as well as any synthetic.

I hope that helps.

ChristineRenee
01-14-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info Mona. A straighter hairstyle that can be more easily managed is kinda what I'm looking for here. A human hair wig...with a straighter style and a little on the shorter side that would look better on a TG of 53. I don't want to wear wigs anymore that try to make me look 25. I need to update my feminine image and have a wig that is more in line with my age status.

Thanks again for the reply and info.:)

Love,
Christine Renee

MonaSmith
01-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the info Mona. A straighter hairstyle that can be more easily managed is kinda what I'm looking for here. A human hair wig...with a straighter style and a little on the shorter side that would look better on a TG of 53. I don't want to wear wigs anymore that try to make me look 25. I need to update my feminine image and have a wig that is more in line with my age status.

Thanks again for the reply and info.:)

Love,
Christine ReneeNo problem Christine, it's my pleasure to share the limited knowledge that I have about these things.

sherri
01-14-2005, 12:09 PM
You raise an interesting point, Christine — matching wig length with age. I too am middle-aged and while I abhor the matronly look, I don't want to overdo the youthfulness either.

So, is long hair inappropriate for an older woman? After analyzing hundreds of online CD photos, my answer is, it depends. A cheap long wig = inappropriate. The 60s Cher look = inappropriate. Really long wigs = inappropriate. The goth look = inappropriate. The stripper look = inappropriate. The Brittney Spears look = inappropriate. But when done tastefully, a longish wig on an older CD can not only work, it can be very attractive. The wig in your avatar pic, for example, looks great.

One thing a longer wig does for me is cover up my shoulders and neck when I'm wearing a top that doesn't fit closely around my neck. Some gurls have beautiful necks, great shoulders. Not me. Maybe when I was younger, but not anymore. (Why didn't I start sooner!?!) Which means if wore only short wigs, as some older women might insist is the only thing appropriate, my wardrobe would be limited to high collared tops, and it's hard enough finding "just right" tops without that limitation. So I have invested in two long wigs and not only do I luv them, I think they are tasteful and suitable for someone my age. There are many other older but lovely CDs who prove this point, too.

My goal is to have six quality wigs of various lengths, styles and colors. Two long, two medium, two short. Blonde, brunette and auburn. Straight and moderately wavy (no curly for me).

BTW, I have dark hair and my wigs also have to conceal my short but obvious sideburns. I once read a CD makeup advisor saying sideburns can be covered up with makeup, but I've seen a CD doing that and it - looked - horrible! Gross! Moral: don't believe everything you read.

I can't wait to see your new wig. Hurry up! :)

Sharon
01-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I have several synthetic and three human hair wigs. The human hair wigs are, by far, much, much better than the synthetic. Not only are they easier to maintain, more natural to the touch, and more realistic in appearance, I find them much more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. This may have more to do with the quality of the cap, but I have never spent more than a hundred dollars for any of them.
The biggest limitation I have found is the lack of variety in large cap sizes.

ChristineRenee
01-14-2005, 12:38 PM
You raise an interesting point, Christine — matching wig length with age. I too am middle-aged and while I abhor the matronly look, I don't want to overdo the youthfulness either.

So, is long hair inappropriate for an older woman? After analyzing hundreds of online CD photos, my answer is, it depends. A cheap long wig = inappropriate. The 60s Cher look = inappropriate. Really long wigs = inappropriate. The goth look = inappropriate. The stripper look = inappropriate. The Brittney Spears look = inappropriate. But when done tastefully, a longish wig on an older CD can not only work, it can be very attractive. The wig in your avatar pic, for example, looks great.

One thing a longer wig does for me is cover up my shoulders and neck when I'm wearing a top that doesn't fit closely around my neck. Some gurls have beautiful necks, great shoulders. Not me. Maybe when I was younger, but not anymore. (Why didn't I start sooner!?!) Which means if wore only short wigs, as some older women might insist is the only thing appropriate, my wardrobe would be limited to high collared tops, and it's hard enough finding "just right" tops without that limitation. So I have invested in two long wigs and not only do I luv them, I think they are tasteful and suitable for someone my age. There are many other older but lovely CDs who prove this point, too.

My goal is to have six quality wigs of various lengths, styles and colors. Two long, two medium, two short. Blonde, brunette and auburn. Straight and moderately wavy (no curly for me).

BTW, I have dark hair and my wigs also have to conceal my short but obvious sideburns. I once read a CD makeup advisor saying sideburns can be covered up with makeup, but I've seen a CD doing that and it - looked - horrible! Gross! Moral: don't believe everything you read.

I can't wait to see your new wig. Hurry up! :)hi again sherri,

sherri, you are right on with your post. Couldn't agree with you more. I want to replace my wig collection too with some high quality human hair wigs. I would like to eventually get 4-6 of them myself in different lengths and colors.

I bought a lot of my synthetic wigs more than a decade ago and they really are somewhat dated for how I look now. Like you, I don't want to look matronly and yet I can't pull off a Cher or Brittany Spears look either...not that I ever would want to.

I'm thinking of getting something maybe with grey highlights or something of that sort. I'm starting to grey quite a bit more now and I think it would be appropos for us (Christine/"Roy") to reflect that change in age and appearance. And yes...definitely no curly. ALL my wigs now are like that. I think because I have such straight hair that I overcompensated when buying wigs for myself before.

Where do you girls all get your human hair wigs at? I would be very interested to know since I want to really shop this out for the best quality ones at the best price.

I would greatly appreciate any links any of you can pass on to me to check out these wigs...and thanks so much for all your responses back on this.:)

Love,
Christine Renee

CharlotteSomers
01-14-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm 31 and my wig is straight and nearly down to my waist. It's also human hair and I absolutley LOVE it. It was the best purchase I've ever made. With this wig I can have it perfectly straight, parted in the center or either side. I can also put rolers in it to make it give it more fullness (like in this pic). I can even put it in nice pony tails on either side. The styling options are endless and I have so much fun playing with it. And yes, long humain straight hair does flow much more naturally then synthetic. It also feels better on your shoulders.

I think as long as you style it to fit the image you're going for, long hair can be good for almost any age as long as the age isn't considered 'elderly'.

http://www.planettgirl.com/Portals/0/MyGallery/Misc/Image5.jpg

I guess this could be considered a 'Cher' look even though I wasn't going for that. I got this wig at http://www.internationalwig.com. They have a big selection of humain hair wigs from decent to very expensive prices.

sherri
01-14-2005, 01:41 PM
Charlotte — girl, I bet Christine will agree with me that at 31, you are still young! Certainly young enough to wear just about anything you want. In fact, I hope you appreciate what a delicious age you're at. But 31 compared to 53? Not exactly apples to apples, sugar. We older girls have issues! Right Christine? :p

You look fabulous in that pic!

sherri
01-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Christine — there are a lot of Clairol customers out there that would disagree with you about the gray hair, but I personally think it can be quite attractive, even downright sexy. Of course I would say that cuz my drab hair is salt and pepper too. :P

I recently had a very good experience buying a really nice synthetic wig on sale at www.paulayoung.com, and they're legendary for their service, but their selection of human hair wigs seems pretty limited to me.

Sherri

Sapphire
01-14-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi Christine Renee, Have you tried eBay..I was on there just recently looking at wigs with my Daughter..I ma not a cd but my friend Melissa is and I was looking for some wigs there for her...there are some beautiful wigs on there real and synthetic..lovely style and colours..I also notice that there were also some eBay shops that catered in shoes and clothes for Crossdressers ect..maybe you could pick up a good one on there..Sapphire..

ChristineRenee
01-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Charlotte — girl, I bet Christine will agree with me that at 31, you are still young! Certainly young enough to wear just about anything you want. In fact, I hope you appreciate what a delicious age you're at. But 31 compared to 53? Not exactly apples to apples, sugar. We older girls have issues! Right Christine? :p

You look fabulous in that pic!One lesson I learned early on (and the hard way) in life is never to complain about your age to an OLDER PERSON!!!!!!! :eek:

Tends to make them a little cranky...k? :mad:

Not that it ever happens to me mind you.....:rolleyes:

Love,
Christine "The Fossil Queen" Renee

CharlotteSomers
01-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Wow! I think you girls misunderstood me. I wasn't complaining about being 31. I was just stating my age for a point of reference for anyone reading this thread. I love being 31. I think the fashions for 30-somethings are really beautiful and sexy.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

sherri
01-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Good lord, I wasn't offended or cranky! Just girl talk — big sister to little sister.
:p

ChristineRenee
01-14-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow! I think you girls misunderstood me. I wasn't complaining about being 31. I was just stating my age for a point of reference for anyone reading this thread. I love being 31. I think the fashions for 30-somethings are really beautiful and sexy.

Sorry if I offended anyone.Sorry Charlotte...I was just "pullin' on your lariat" there. (By that I mean that I was just pretending to be upset to give you a hard time...all in jest);)

You are very beautiful inside and out. You should love being 31...those of us who have been certainly did.

Thanks for letting me "get your goat" and for being such a good sport about it.:)

Love,
Christine Renee