PDA

View Full Version : t girls and jobs?

michelle19845
11-30-2006, 03:47 PM
being that i start hrt soon,i will be having to present 24/7 femme now a days or atleast be working towards it even more than i already am.i mostly wear femme androgynous clothing when around family and friends ,what lil there is people and when alone go complete femme.been getting told to cut hair by both sexes ,but still letting it grow.it's currently a half an inch past ears and can be curled or waved.i haven't had money for electrolysis yet but grow hair to where a 5 o clock shadow isn't a worry.my job is in uniforms now male/female wear same thing,but the hours are poor12 hours last week,mostly only 25-28,it was supposed to be full time and i can't get anymore at the way they run things,i do my main thing and 2 side things i took on to try and make things work.i've done what i can work with pretty good people,don't have to worry about what i wear and being read.they have benfits which are supposed to start in january,but at the rate things are poor income most checks are 140 average,not enough.
i wanted to know from fellow t girls,what are some of the better jobs to go for when starting to apppear fulltime everywhere and not having name changed yet.i question walmart,but i shop there so much,most people will know me as female (cashiers) some male.i go like once a week atleast sometimes.i'd like to do some school eventually,but with hormones and needing to get out on own and a poor paying job,things aren't going too well for that.i need a descent work place that isn't a fast speed job and will be accepting if brought up about transgender/ts.any thoughts are appreciated for a job.what do other people here do that represent femme full time?

thanks a bunch,
michelle19845

Lauren B
11-30-2006, 04:52 PM
The Human Rights Campaign website has a list of employers that protect gender identity expression in their written policies. IIRC, there are a handful of retail outlets that are on that list. I'm pretty sure that The Gap and Walgreens are on the list. They don't pay great at a cashier level, to be sure, but it doesn't sound like you're necessarily looking primarily for great pay. However, they'd probably be along the lines of what you are looking for- something that will help you get by in the meantime, but would be no tremendous loss if you were to lose your job for whatever reason. Good luck in your search!:happy:

Scotty
11-30-2006, 07:25 PM
I don't plan to go full time and this is one of the primary reasons!

I would have to be somewhat self-sufficient for a year, then I'd move to Boston and show up as a T-girl and all job interviews would be done as such and I'd strike out time and again I'm sure.

Seems, and I could be wrong, but the way i see it is that working for a liberal employer (Dot-com or something) would be the way to go.

It's one of the toughest things. There's a TG from another forum that is a combat veteran, can't get squat for rights...unemployment ran out etc...and getting a job is going to be tough.

I'm in the IT field and have been for 15+ years, I can only hope that will help if/when that time comes for me down the road.

~Dee~
11-30-2006, 08:09 PM
it can seem like a daunting task...

personally i work for myself .. so people think that im all secure and ok in that i dont have to confront my boss and let them know about my transition ..
but the trouble is that im an artist ..
ive got to present myself to each and every person who wants to potentially buy my things.
so, essentially i can get fired many times over.

to me, its a concern that needed a little bit of thought ...
but when it came down to it, this is who i am .. people can buy from me if they want to .. or they can tell me to go away .. i cant be anyone im not.

afterall, there are many people who have something about themselves thats a cause for concern.. but most find some way to overcome it..
but acceptance is the key.

one of my friends went through the same thinking a little while back .. should she go to interviews as herself, or dress in boy mode? ..

she made the good choice to say to them at the interview that she was TS and that at some point would be coming to work as female.
on her request, they asked the people who would be her immediate co-workers if this would be ok with them ... and well .. she has a nice new job now.

being TS isnt a shameful thing.
there are far far far worse things to be.

CaptLex
11-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Here's a thought . . . instead of wondering what industry would be more accepting of someone who plans to transition, wouldn't it be worth checking out what certain companies' policies are regarding transgendered people - like anti-discrimination and whether they have a committee (or union) in place that will hear grievances? Not that I know how one would go about checking that out. Also, I'm thinking it may depend on the laws in your area.

In my case, I lucked out - I work for a law firm and they know what the law is here in NYC. As one of the partners confided to me, the firm will do anything to avoid my bringing a lawsuit, so they're happy to work with me. Even so, it's not a perfect situation, but it's a lot better than it probably was even a few years ago. Progress is slow.

Stephenie S
11-30-2006, 09:39 PM
You could go back to school. Benefits are there for people who are low income. Community Colleges are designed to prepare you for the workplace. The tuition is low and grants can be had if you have no money. Health care is a growing need in our aging society. There are many other trades available if that makes you squeamish, from auto mechanics to refridgeration to law enforcement. Visit your local CC.

Steph

JeanneF
11-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Something to consider is expanding your education to have a greater selection of job choices. Being that you're transitioning, don't be surprised if a company is hesitant to hire you for a customer service/face to face position. Yes, it's discrimination and it sucks, but a company has to make a decision on the presentability of the people that are representing their firm to the world.

For accepting jobs, I have to agree with Scottie - you need to work in a liberal industry, or at least one where your gender isn't an issue. Develop a profession and a skill set that qualifies you for something other than working as a cashier. If you're looking on the low end of the job spectrum, you're going to be competing against "normal" people, and most companies are going to choose the applicant who doesn't bring any "issues" to the table. Remember, in most states it's still legal to discriminate on sexuality and gender identity (I would assume Indiana is one of them, being as conservative of a state as it is).

www.genderadvocates.org has a listing of communities that have ordinances preventing discrimination based on gender identity. (Incidentally, I'm shocked to discover the Covington, KY, right across the river from Cincinnati, has one such law)

I'll readily admit, the job issue is the main thing that prevents me from further exploring transitioning.

Lauren B
11-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Something to consider is expanding your education to have a greater selection of job choices. Being that you're transitioning, don't be surprised if a company is hesitant to hire you for a customer service/face to face position. Yes, it's discrimination and it sucks, but a company has to make a decision on the presentability of the people that are representing their firm to the world.

For accepting jobs, I have to agree with Scottie - you need to work in a liberal industry, or at least one where your gender isn't an issue. Develop a profession and a skill set that qualifies you for something other than working as a cashier. If you're looking on the low end of the job spectrum, you're going to be competing against "normal" people, and most companies are going to choose the applicant who doesn't bring any "issues" to the table. Remember, in most states it's still legal to discriminate on sexuality and gender identity (I would assume Indiana is one of them, being as conservative of a state as it is).

www.genderadvocates.org has a listing of communities that have ordinances preventing discrimination based on gender identity. (Incidentally, I'm shocked to discover the Covington, KY, right across the river from Cincinnati, has one such law)

I'll readily admit, the job issue is the main thing that prevents me from further exploring transitioning.

I thought Michelle had already said that she planned to go to school, but not now, and that she was just looking for solutions to get by for the time being. If I misread that, sorry :o

But anyway, one thing I will not do is allow my career to decide whether or not to transition. If transitioning is the right thing for me, I will find a way to make my career work around it. No job or career is worth me living a life that is something less than its fullest and best.

That said, I agree that there are certain professions (and settings within those professions) that are much better than others. For example, I am a legal assistant. Good. Who works in a jail. Bad. I will definitely not be going full time there, that's for sure:eek: Some of those types of jobs are pretty "in-demand", too, such as nursing or the medical field in general, if you are so inclined.

It might not be smart to pick a career ONLY because it is trans-friendly, though. It has to fit your skill sets and your interests, too.

The way I look at the whole career/TG thing is that I know I don't like my job nor my gender presentation right now, so I'm going to stop, figure out exactly what I do want, and go for it. I'm looking forward to the changes I'm going to be making in my life, because it's going to be what I want. Try to approach it as something challenging but fun and rewarding, as opposed to some burden that is going to be a chore to have to deal with.

michelle19845
12-01-2006, 10:48 PM
i still keep getting average of 2 hours a day on days i work.it makes me so mad,cause the place would be perfect to transition at,they have letters in their pamphlet that say no discrimination against gender,sex,religion,etc. they even give insurance to same sex couples.2 gay guys work there now.it says in the book the same rules for dressing regardless,what sex."an employee may wear:light make up," it's always an employee.they are so into acceptance and treating others equally.i just don't like the hours i'm getting,it's not working out at all.i wish i could move to california in the san francisco area.it's such a joke in indiana.i wish i could just be a housewife.i've tried so many (mostly masculine ) careers and had no luck,can't stand working with all men and have gotten more into health through time.i'll see what happensthanks for your info.

Calliope
12-03-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm a housewife - and, while the work is great, I'm not too fond of my boss.
:bonk:

I'd avoid Wal-Mart for sure, they treat all their employees very bad.

Are there any 'human service' agencies where you live? Mental health counselor positions are entry-level and such companies tout their liberality. It would be a matter of principle for them to hire a TG.

robyn1114
12-10-2006, 07:27 PM
I can relate to looking for a new career path. I'm a couple years away from being able to retire from the military, and I so looking forward to a career that I don't have to hide who I really am. Although I'm scared to death and don't have a clue what I want to do.

Kimberley
12-11-2006, 07:02 AM
I was actually thinking about this very question the other day. My background is in the engineering and trades sector (I hated it but was damned good at it). Anyway, industry and in particular the automotive industry is not generally tolerant or accepting of diversity.

Now I teach part time but here again, the college while having a solid diversity policy is still and old boys network. It works for the students but not the faculty or support staff.

My first love is my photography and in particular my art photography, but selling it is, well; let's just say people dont understand it (my photoimpressionism) or in the case of fine art photos, dont appreciate it. They think anyone can do it, so it is worth squat. (I dont think sooo. Not even an expert with photoshop can match my work.) Doesnt matter about the reviews or accolades, people just wont part with the cash.

Oh well, the search goes on. I simply wont make any kind of life changes until I can support myself.

SusanTL
12-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi.

Great question.

I do not know about other states, but I am from Massachusetts and we are protected by federial law aginst discrimination.

I myself did not want a low lever,low key job. Simply because if the job is low key, so is the pay. I work for a large company. I transistioned on the job and yes it was hard. Lots of wispers and long looks. However, once I got by all that, and time passed. I just became one of the girls. Now its true, not every one accepted me. The ones that did not, just stay away from me and talk behind my back. However, If I am strong enough to go through all this and one day soon srs. I will not let a few people make me feel bad.

My boss tells me I do good job and I never cause trouble. I dress according to the office code for all women. My best advice to you is. get a job or get an education that will pay you good money. Yes, you may be in the lime light, but what the hay.

Its hard to be a woman, but worth it. Everytime I brush my hair or put on lip gloss. I know I have done the right thing for me.

Be proud girfriend, never let anyone get you down.

Hugs - Susan

Sierra Evon
12-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I am currently un-employed , I have a good resume and alot of various job experience, I know that in some cases I've been passed over due to gender issues , even tho I put down on my applications and check the male box, my facial and body deminer is very much female , I will be working agian after the first of the year , at a temp agency, as a file clerk T-girl, low pay but at least its something for me , this was a reccomend by a neighbor of mine GG,
Being a girl is'nt easy.........., but I'll fight the good fight for me , and nobody will break me down , I'm in the girl world for life, and not going back to the man life ever, everything comes with a price this i now know, but so does everything......its my life and I'll get what I want out of it , or else I'll have to just throw a fitt........:happy:

cindianna_jones
12-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree with Susan. Find a job that you are good at and blaze your own path. It sucks no matter what you choose. I worked my career in California, both in the LA area and in Silicon Valley. While there are laws that protect us from discrimination, the truth is that if they want to get rid of you, they will.

So don't worry about it. Find a job. Work hard. And do what you need to do. Be honest in your job and give your employer more than what they pay you for. If you live in a state that doesn't tolerate diversity, save up your money and move.

The two things that will make you successful are money and courage to face down the flack. So save some before you start and get a good job. Let the rest play out.

Don't let a job stand in the way of having a wonderful life my dear. It's just a job.

Cindi

joanlynn28
12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm at a point in my life where I am ready to go full time, but just havn't yet. I have worked for the same company for over 27 years and they are not going to get rid of me just because I am transgendered. There is a strict company policy that they will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind related to sexual orientation, gender, sexual harassment, disability, etc. I started hormone therapy over a month ago and I know that I do have to go fulltime within the next six months. I also belong to the union and my company prides itself in diversity in the workplace. There is also a GBLT and their allies support network within the company. Plus there is at least one other post op MTF transexual that works at my company. And we all wear the same work uniforms whether male or female employee. And yes I wear makeup to work most of the time and I do wear nail polish at work too. The only time I am not enfemme is the short eight hours of the day that I am at work. When I work weekends I tend to wear my girl clothes to work on those days. Then again maybe I am fulltime now, I just havn't announced it publicly at work. My employer? It's for a division of Caterpillar.:2c: :heehee: :heehee: :heehee:

Wendi {LI NY}
12-11-2006, 11:03 PM
I was actually thinking about this very question the other day. My background is in the engineering and trades sector (I hated it but was damned good at it). Anyway, industry and in particular the automotive industry is not generally tolerant or accepting of diversity.

Now I teach part time but here again, the college while having a solid diversity policy is still and old boys network. It works for the students but not the faculty or support staff.

My first love is my photography and in particular my art photography, but selling it is, well; let's just say people dont understand it (my photoimpressionism) or in the case of fine art photos, dont appreciate it. They think anyone can do it, so it is worth squat. (I dont think sooo. Not even an expert with photoshop can match my work.) Doesnt matter about the reviews or accolades, people just wont part with the cash.

Oh well, the search goes on. I simply wont make any kind of life changes until I can support myself.

one of the hardest things about transition ..Finding work to support ones self .. :( Wendi

michelle19845
12-12-2006, 02:02 AM
i guess 2 people got fired the other day when i wasn't working,one pullleda knife on another co worker.i am supposed to get a better position that will get more hours weekly and not to mention,it's almost all women who do that position.i get insurance in january if i hold outlong enough and they don't discriminate as a i pry mentioned earlier, there used to be a gaymanager ,but he moved east,now there are just 2 gay servers.all managers say they like me and i try to fill in and do whatever possible,i don't plan to do this forever,but i think i can hold on if iget the other position,they are in a bind cause of being short handed in that section and always giving me compliments about my work and attitude.i could use the insurance badly,cause i am restricted where i can goas of now.
hopefully it can hold out fora while.i wouldn't mind some medical job after some college possibly,i just can't afford it and with moving some day and transitioning ,it's not too easy.

thanks for your comments,

michelle19845

Calliope
12-12-2006, 12:18 PM
I worked my career in California, both in the LA area and in Silicon Valley.

My SO, just recently hired at Google, has seen a T-girl working there.

marie354
12-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I've really enjoyed (can I say that) listening to the comments that I've read here. I've been CDing since the early 60's and I had serious thoughts about doing what you brave gals are doing in the 70's. It really was a hard decision for me to stay just a CD'er and not make the ultimate commitment. I'm glad that you've accepted yourselves for who you are as I have. I still think about what I could have done when I was in my 20's, and maybe I should have. My biggest concerne was the harassment I'd have to go through. The actual transformation of the body takes years even if you have SRS first. Unless you can afford the breast inplants and tummy tuck, electrolysis, etc. It still takes a lot of time. I'm sooo proud of you all for the courage that you've shown and it helps me too, (I've never been out of the house dressed), find my way to that place where I can go out without worring about what others think.
Again I'm proud of all of you. I'm in my mid 50's now, disabled with P.A.D., living on SSDI. As I said... I made a choice long, long ago, that I'm still living with. But if I had done what you have done when I was 25, I could probabally understand what you're going through a little better.
BTW I do have an understanding GGSO that lets me dress while at home. I love her for a lot of other reasons including her understanding of me.

I could rattle on and on and on, (I guess I got the girls gift of gab), but I must stop here... It's time to take a bath and let Sam back out!

janedoe311
12-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I knew a girl that was not all that good looking but had nice legs and made $150 a night from tips (short shift) as a cocktail wattress.

Just a thought. A least it is a little extra money while you go to school.

PS a good push up bra would not hurt.

Katiegirl
12-14-2006, 06:40 PM
michelle19845 - In the UK there are laws now in place on how an employer must treat a TS in transition. If they via from the laid down rules then they can be sued by the TS if she loses or is forced to leave her job. However I am considering transition but also nearing retirement, the problem I have is, do I wait until I retire to transition or face hostility at work law or no law and start now.

+?