PDA

View Full Version : People that look down on men wearing womens clothes

michelleII
11-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Something I have always wondered about but couldn't say anything until I found this forum. Why is it OK for a woman to wear mens clothes in public and be ok in socity where if a man wears womens clothes in public he may be killed for it? The women have been wearing jeans and shirts like a man for a long time, why they are making underware for women that are cut like a mans, they even have a fly. What is up with this? Michelle

Kate Simmons
11-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Women want to feel independent and be like us , doncha know? It's a big burden for women to wear women's clothes. Actually, it's more about comfort than a fashion statement. :happy: Kay

Joy Carter
11-30-2006, 06:17 PM
Women want to feel independent and be like us , doncha know? It's a big burden for women to wear women's clothes. Actually, it's more about comfort than a fashion statement. :happy: Kay

Maybe empowerment ? No cut intended here.

Sweet Jane
11-30-2006, 06:20 PM
people that look down on men wearing womens clothes are usually...............taller

Theresa(TGirl)
11-30-2006, 07:13 PM
people that look down on men wearing womens clothes are usually...............taller

lol.

Ashley in Virginia
11-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Something I have always wondered about but couldn't say anything until I found this forum. Why is it OK for a woman to wear mens clothes in public and be ok in socity where if a man wears womens clothes in public he may be killed for it? The women have been wearing jeans and shirts like a man for a long time, why they are making underware for women that are cut like a mans, they even have a fly. What is up with this? Michelle

Get over it. Sh*t happens. Nothing will change any of it. :2c:

TeriAnn
11-30-2006, 07:29 PM
I have always wondered the same thing how is it ok for the gals to don male attire but not the other way round. Does society somehow think that a male dressed in womens clothes:2c: going to destroy the moral fiber we all are made of.
I do it because the ladies have a varied selection to work with the styles are better over all. They also feel a whole lot better than guy clothes. I have always hated male clothing but we can`t have everything.

Glenda58
11-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Because more women wear mens cloths than men wear womens cloths. It started over fifty years ago when women started to work in factories and wear pants for easy of working. Then they start wearing them out of the factory and people became accustom to seeing them on it's OK. That why we can't go out because it's just one of us at a time.

Penny
11-30-2006, 08:38 PM

And some of them grew right through their brains!

bobby_hansen
11-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Women own the fashion industry... That is, if they don't like something, it doesn't become "popular." Men have no pull. Men's fashion is dictated by what women think look good on us...

How's that for a theory?

Jammie Lyann
11-30-2006, 08:58 PM
It has taken 40 plus year for women to become accepted in wearing mens attire, now that men are coming out more an more it will be another 40 plus year for men to be fully accepted in wear women attire, Be patient the day will come when we can walk in public with out being looked at as a hidious monster. so I figure I'll be about 80 an then I'll be wearing a light weigth night shirt every where I go with a walker an wont care how people look at me cuase Ill be hafe blind an wont see there stares :devil:
Till then enjoy what you can, even if you have to stay hidden behind your own doors :hugs:

Karren H
11-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Well....If they don't like the way I dress.....screw them!! And i'll kick their ass's, even in a skirt, if they try to harm me!!! hehehe

Love Karren

Jesse69
11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I saw a woman dressed in a man's suit at McDonalds with 2 other women and nobody said a thing or reacted bad. But then twice I saw women dressed in a man's shirt and other women called them gay.

I saw a man wearing women's casual wear at a bus stop and no one even bothered him. I even asked him a question and everything else was just normal.

But there are some members in this forum who go out as guys dressed in women's wear. Always nice to read their going out stories on how people reacted to them.

I would never try the guy in a dress look and go out!

Sierra Evon
11-30-2006, 10:11 PM
I've seen many women , wearing all guys clothes too , it sems like such a dual standard , I saw this women the other day at the store she was with her kids , she had on mens Levi's , an Orange County Chopper , T-shirt, but then she had on lip-stick some femme jewelry, and her hair braided in a ponytail.....from the back I thought at first sight it was a man...and yet I noticed that she really got no reactions from others around , we crossed paths , I smiled and said hi, she smiled back at me .......

Melinda G
11-30-2006, 10:48 PM
There has always been double standards in our society. Same reason you can have a Black Students Union, but not a White Students Union. Same reason you can have a Black Firefighters association, but not a White Firefighters association. It ain't right. But it isn't going to change. Work around it.

iwearpanties
11-30-2006, 10:54 PM
god its the truth ive had grildfriends and family membertake my clothes espically big shirts and other clothing of mine but any girlfirend i ever when i asked dam you wear my things my cant i yours i got these dam nasty looks .. would any of the Real GGs tell us why ??? hell we on the world looks down on those of us whos dress and wear panties and others things.life not fait ladys and cders :2c:

Rachel Morley
12-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Why is it OK for a woman to wear mens clothes in public and be ok in socity where if a man wears womens clothes in public he may be killed for it?
Unfortunately it's all about the social hierarchy within our society. When a woman dresses in a way that is perceived to be masculine it's not considered a problem because she's "going up the scale". However, when a man dresses in a way that is perceived to be feminine it is a problem because (especially amongst other men) he's lowering himself because in their eyes dressing feminine is being less of a man, and being less of a man is considered a bad thing.

Now, obviously I'm generalizing about the public at large, and not everyone thinks this way, but IMHO the only way we will ever be truly accepted is when women truly get an equal status in society as men. Why hasn't there ever been a female US President? Where are all the female military Generals? Am I making any sense here? The key to it being accepted is the empowerment of women. That’s why all cders should be interested in women’s issues and leveling the playing field instead of complaining that it’s not fair.

The other thing is, we haven't earned the right to wear women's clothes yet. What I mean by that statement is that we can (technically) wear anything we like, there is no law against it. However, unlike women, we haven't yet earned the right to wear whatever we want....not if you want to be socially accepted. In the past women were "not allowed" to wear all sorts of masculine clothes. I'm talking 100 years ago here. They were expected (because of men) to wear certain clothes, corsets, dresses, skirts etc etc....pants and trousers were frowned upon, they were "unaccepted in mainstream society". It wasn't until the women's movement fought for their rights by getting out there and fighting for equality, which included being seen in these different clothes....in other words, they made it happen.

IMHO it's going to be the same for us. We (me included) have to get out there in our feminine clothes and be seen for what we are....transgendered. It's not going to be an easy ride, and we are going to have to take some risks, but if ultimately, if we are going to get accepted more in society then people have to know about us. It's up to us to educate them that we are non threatening, harmless individuals and we are not to be feared...despite what they may perceive. In my opinion people often fear, or dislike, what they don't understand.

I'll get off my soapbox now :sb:

crusadergirl
12-01-2006, 04:15 AM
I get what your all saying and its all true. As for them looking down on us i don't think so they just don't know anything about crossdressing. Most ppl i have talked to had no idea, b/c no one every has the guts to say anything on that subject. YOu hide in fear of what ppl think and then no one will ever understand what a crossdresser is. I for one don't hide. I have told many ppl and i have had really no bad reactions all they did was laugh at me. I told some girls i met today i like wearing panties they said thats hott.

So what i can wear what i want anytime and no one say anything about it, but same old ladies. Ok at work we have a dress code so i have to wear a unform but other then that. If you show no fear people will say nothing bad to you about what you wear. It's simple.

Vicky_Scot
12-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Call me stupid but I think it is simple.

Society say its ok for a woman to wear men's clothes.

Society says it is wrong for men to wear woman's clothes.

And we all know Society is always right don't we.........:(

But until we stick our two fingers up to society and say this is me then it will stay that way.

eleventhdr
12-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Exactly my friend Exactly!

Suzy!

Tiana
12-01-2006, 06:01 AM
i can relate it to my job, there were no traffic enforcement officers in the town i work at and suddenly there were 16 of us and in the first year we had so much verbal abuse but now after over 2 years 95% of people just accept us as part of everyday life so i suppose what i am saying is the only way we are not to be joked about would be for us all to go out dressed everyday and in a few years you will be accepted, society naturally is aggressive towards things they don't understand so they need time to realise we are not a threat to them and in fact are more of the nicer people in this world x

Marla S
12-01-2006, 07:41 AM
What is up with this?
In addition to what has been said:

Feminity is still a second class characteristic.

Women usually don't try to mimic or transform into men. CDs usually try to mimic women, that might strain the acceptance too much.

Feminity on men is usually equaled to gay. Neither the majority of men nor the majority of women want a gay. The gays themselves are usually not very interested in fem dressed men.

Samantha Lough
12-01-2006, 08:19 AM
OK not to start an argument but here goes. Actually it is not any easier for a Female to Male to dress as it is for us. Yes women have BOY cut shorts and boxers and jeans and well flannel shirts and can get away with wearing their SO clothes but when they try and emulate a man they get the same or worse treatment then us. If a genetic man see them well all gloves Are off and the FTM has to prove he is a MAN. They get called names and also are looked down on by other women and to tell the truth I would rather take a punch on the chin then deal with a woman who does not like the way another woman is dressed. Yes we are seen as freaks or worse but I would rather deal with this then what a FTM has to deal with because as the saying goes “ THIS IS A MANS WORLD” and for a woman to want to become a man it is seen as worse then if a man wants to become a woman , and it is our fault it so hard for us to buy women’s clothing because SHOPPING has always been a woman place in society and women can be buying mens clothes or women and other women have no problem, but we as men look out of place or nervous buying women’s clothes, Like I said we made the rules, Second it is not the women who own the fashion world it is men and point of fact most clothing designers are men very few women, my :2c:

Emily Ann Brown
12-01-2006, 08:43 AM
I asked this very thing of my wife (who dresses like a F2M) and her answer was simple..."We are not trying to pass ourselves off as men."

WHATEVER.

Emily Ann

Emma England
12-01-2006, 09:17 AM

That is very true Jane.

They are also very narrow-minded.

I have never seen a problem with men wearing women's clothes myself.

Everyone in the world is equal.

JoAnnDallas
12-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Many times I go out wearing womens T's, slacks, and shoes and no one notices. I have even worn flesh colored lipstick and still no one noticed. Now if I went out wearing a skirt or dress, then I would get noticed. LOL

Emma England
12-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I have worn a skirt, and not got noticed.

princessmichelle
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
:lol: Very good Jane!

More seriously I do wonder if the anger about men in womens clothes has to do with power. But I don't know.

Princess Michelle

JulieCDorlando
12-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Hello,
I haven't been a member of this site for very long, but I have read more than enough threads on this site and other sites on the double standard society has when it comes to women wearing anything they wish including male attire. Fashion designers call that "chic". Some one earlier in a reply to this post mentioned that women "own" the fashion world. I do agree. Women do a majority of the shopping and buying of clothing. I am one that believes that women have earned their right to wear what ever they choose simply because they took on society's view of how women should dress, act etc.
Most CD's cry out for equality but do nothing else. CD's cry out for acceptance but still hide in shame, guilt, embarassment, maybe even unacceptance of ourselves. No one wants to challenge society's view on maleness by stepping out in a dress. No one wants to face the ridicule, embarassment, shame or adversity of such a brave act. Women went through all of this 50 years ago, and look at where they are now. Women have the freedom we as CD's can only dream about. We whine and cry and complain but do nothing other than that. We all want someone else to blaze the path of openess, acceptance. No one wants to take the lead. No CD's, TV's TG's (or any other label) that is in a closet has courage enough to do the impossible. If all of us are willing to step out with courage and determination, perhaps over time we will not have to constantly bemoan society's unacceptance. We are our own worse enemy. We have shame, guilt, fear, and maybe unacceptance. What we do have is only a dream. Please do not flame me. I am only trying to convey what might have to be done in order for us to gain accpetance.

ggconfused
12-01-2006, 02:39 PM
god its the truth ive had grildfriends and family membertake my clothes espically big shirts and other clothing of mine but any girlfirend i ever when i asked dam you wear my things my cant i yours i got these dam nasty looks .. would any of the Real GGs tell us why ??? hell we on the world looks down on those of us whos dress and wear panties and others things.life not fait ladys and cders :2c:

I'll do my best to come up with an answer as soon as you tell me why a GG who sleeps around is a **** and a GM is a stud. We have been suffering with double standards forever.

Welcome to the world of being a woman!

crusadergirl
12-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the welcome to the world of women. GGconfused your totally right on what you said. And Julie i like what you had to say. I have complained about the fact that women could wear mens clothes in the past but i didn't really think of it the way you said until, i relized women have gone though the same stuff. It looks to me women have more guts then we do. When i first started cding i was scared of what ppl thought but now the fear is gone. I know one most of my posts i seem like i'm not to serious on this subject, but really i have done alot of reserch on crossdressing.
Like i said before people don't look down on us they just know nothin about us, most are to scared to talk about is are show ppl thats what they enjoy doing. And yeah they mite call you gay, but who cares.
Thanks for all the great input its all cool.

tall_brianna
12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
You live in the wrong place sweety if you can get killed for being dressed as a girl.

Follow the yellow brick road to Emerald City, Dorothy. They're very nice here, even Oz (he's a leather daddy).

There are actually quite a few FTM cross dressers here as well. What's the difference you may ask. These guys go the extra distance; cuffed jeans, white tee shirt, short hair in a Shatner style coiffure... no offense, but kinda of looking like they came off the fight scene set of West Side Story.

Here's the thing: They're just braver! I see them everywhere - grocery store, etc. I could go to the grocery store dressed the way I want and the only reason I'd draw more curiosity is because we (MTF) are not everywhere and are a new attraction. Just be a good little monkey and smile for the nice people on the other side of the glass ;)

-b

-b

Deborah
12-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Women earned the right to wear jeans etc out of necessity while going to work in the factories. They wore the clothes for safety and other reasons that was it.
When a male dresses up now days judging by what everyone posts here they are out to pass and i'll leave you to fill in the last blank

...to be accepted as a G _ _ _.

That is the difference.

Wear a skirt while looking like a male still may be your only chance if everyone starts doing it.

CarmenG
12-01-2006, 09:51 PM

:bonk: :lol2:

mylitta
12-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Been thinking about all this for a couple of days- slow,I know. But a few thoughts from a gg point of view:

Yes it is true that as women we have a lot more freedom to choose how we dress, in some respects, and it isn't logical that it is unacceptable for men to have the same freedom. However- less than 100 years ago women would be verbally or physically attacked for wearing 'male' attire and would be thought of as freaks or outcasts... ring any bells? And it wasn't until 2003 that my daughter was allowed to wear trousers to school- unbelievable!
Also we have pressure from society to conform to various forms of body fascism- be young, be slim, etc etc.

And as the fashion industry seems to design clothes to be worn by models with a dangerously low BMI, I'm not really sure it's run by women- seems more like it's run by men who do not like the female form.

Hope this doen't sound like a rant- I would support anyone's right to dress and to live as they want to- just though I'd point out that the grass isn't always greener.

~Kitty GG~
12-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Take a little look at history.

One day a woman didn't slip out of her corset, dozen petticoats, etc etc.. and put on guy's clothes.. go out for a day of social activities.. say a cotillion..

And find perfect acceptance and be congratulated on her choice of clothing.

And that's not how its gonna happen in reverse.

Love & Hugs
~:star:Kitty:star:~

Amy Hepker
12-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Women can get away with anything. I know I'll pay for that comment. My GLady will kill me for one.

Joy Carter
12-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Women own the fashion industry... That is, if they don't like something, it doesn't become "popular." Men have no pull. Men's fashion is dictated by what women think look good on us...

How's that for a theory?

I read in a women's magazine that one clothes designer designed "his" clothes to look good on him, but sold them to women. May explain why there are some real outlandish women's clothes out there.:rolleyes:

Joy Carter
12-03-2006, 10:38 AM
I'll do my best to come up with an answer as soon as you tell me why a GG who sleeps around is a **** and a GM is a stud. We have been suffering with double standards forever.

Welcome to the world of being a woman!

Ah ggconfused, here's one GM that has never thought that way. I know I was raised to respect women and my mother made it a point to me over and over. The only thing is she was so angry at my father for leaving her that she also made me feel bad about being a male. To sight an example is my wife, she is the delight of my life I do every thing I can to make her feel valued in this world. So yeah there are some of out there who really are on your side.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

ronnie06
12-03-2006, 11:14 AM
I believe the answers given are close to correct----
women dressing in men's clothes are not, trying to be men, just women relaxing in unrestrictive clothing, BUT!
in my eyes only here---
they demanded equalness--burning bras and all, and yet some still cling to, "oh, I'm a woman, I can't do that heavy dirty work" today.
what happened years ago, from WWII, is another lifetime, and another era.
what is today,...is not the same.
social acceptance is S L O W.....
hang in there.
it may be another 50 yrs but it will someday be okay for guys to dress-up,,,

good luck to all
"veronica" in wisconsin

CaptLex
12-03-2006, 11:33 AM
they demanded equalness--burning bras and all, and yet some still cling to, "oh, I'm a woman, I can't do that heavy dirty work" today. what happened years ago, from WWII, is another lifetime, and another era.
Ronnie:

I agree with most of what you said, but I want to comment on this point. Some women do the "heavy dirty work", and they had to fight for that right too. Today women are no longer held to only positions of nurses, schoolteachers and secretaries - some are construction works, firefighters, police officers and soldiers, but they weren't accepted in those fields immediately.

Angela gg
12-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Look how many years it took for women to be able to wear men's style clothing. Have a look at how they made women look feminine back in the day. Riding a horse side saddle was the only way for her to be considered a lady. There are some christian faith walks that still consider it taboo for a woman to wear pants! Let us hope and pray that very soon it will be acceptable for men to dress according to their personal preference without reprisal.

AmberTG
12-04-2006, 04:30 AM
You have to also remember that there are a lot of people in this world, like fundamental christians for instance, who think we should be "culled from the herd" They simply find us revolting, it goes to their very core being, if it was legal, they would be most happy to simply shoot us and be done with it. My wife was telling me that she was at her father's house last weekend and Ellen Degeneres came on the TV an he, in her words, "went nuts" He started hollering about her being an abomination to God and just kept carrying on about it at length. I know he thinks the same way about cross dressers, I've heard plenty of comments about that subject also.

JulieCDorlando
12-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Hello,
It is sad to know that a certain group of people have so much hate within their heart when they profess to being a christian. They do have a wrong attitude when they judge, and condemn those of us who live in an alternative lifestyle. They are commanded by the one (Jesus) they follow to "love thy neighbor", "judge not least ye be judge", "by the standards that you judge, those very same standards will be used when you are before the throne in judgement". "God is love". not of hate. Through out time these very same christians have always took inititive to start wars (crusades, the conquering of the new world)and abused, even murdered people (spanish inquistion), for the holier than thou mentality. Funny how they take only particial scriptural truth and twist it to condemn us all. Depending on my mood I usually ignore them for they are ignorant in their ways. In return show these ignorant ones love (tollerance, and acceptance).Bottom line of my post here is just as some CD's bring a negative image upon us all by acting a certain way. Not all christians are as terrible as the ones you meet or know. Gandi once said "I like your Christ. I just don't like your christians". Please forgive thosethat have wronged you and love them none the less.
:2c: