PDA

View Full Version : Outed myself at work today.

DeeInGeorgia
11-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I work at a large defense contractor. The site I work at has a Diversity Council that acts as an advisory panel to management. Every year, half of the 17 members get replaced by new members from the facility. Candidates can be nominated or self nominated.

I nominated myself. Later, I had to provide an essay of why I wanted to be on the Site Council and a bit about myself. Then they interviewed many of the candidates.

I had my interview today in front of 4 past site council presidents (kept as an advisory group for the advisory council even though they are no longer on the council) as well as the upcoming site council president and the overall Division head of all the site councils and a couple others.

Because of the desire to serve on the council, as well as since I now am a member of Tri-Ess, and because I work in the defense industry, for security clearance reasons, I had to Out myself to these people. I ended up also explaining there was a difference between transgender and sexual orientation and that my corporation did not yet recognize transgender in its corporate Diversity statement.

I guess I will really find out now just how serious they are about accepting the differences in people where I work.

Dee

Phoebe Reece
11-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Dee,

That took some major courage to do what you have done. I certainly hope it all works out well for you. You will certainly have something interesting to talk about at our next meeting.

See you again soon.

TeriAnn
11-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I have never outed myself to anyone but my wife BlueBird. She is totally understanding and helps me in anyway possible. Maybe some day I will tell someone else but not right now. I am glad you had the guts to stand up for what you believe in.:^5:

Jesse69
11-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Keep us updated. Can you tell me how to get a security clearance? Would a felony prevent me from getting one?

BREE GG
12-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Good for you :D

I hope it all works out :thumbsup:
Maybe you will help them become more open minded people :hugs:

Eugenie
12-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Congratulations Dee,

That's a great and courageous move. I hope it will not have a negative impact on your job.

Two weeks ago I also outed myself to the president of the association I volunteer for when I am in drab. Actually, I'm the vice president so a fairly exposed position... She was very supportive even though our constituency is not at all concerned with LGBT advocacy.

However we work in the field of non discrimination, so it would have been against our fundamental beliefs if she had been negative... She told me that she wasn't shocked, and that what shocked her was to see people with disabilities in large filthy institutions, not a person dressed as a woman, doing no arm to anybody :love:

All the best to you dear.

:hugs:
Eugenie

Amanda Shaft
12-01-2006, 04:36 AM
Well done you! Thats a very courgeous thing to do and I hope it all works out well for you. I would have been pooping myself just having to face the panel let alone revealing any personally classified secrets to them. I remember a few years ago shaking in fear when the subject of my crossdressing was being dicussed between my then wife and another lady, I guess its just such a deep, and well hidden part of me that expossing it is a courage I've not yet found.
I hope you get the position you want,
take care, Amanda

Penny Lane
12-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Very well done indeed. You are a role model for us all and in years to come when CD'ers are more widely accepted it will because of ladies like yourself who made a stance. More power to you.

Penny x

Joy Carter
12-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Glad for you but I'm worried at the same time. The government does not promote gays into security risk type jobs because of the risk of blackmail. I was denied a security clearance in local government because of my being TG. It was OK because I understood the hazard to the system. If someone found out they could try to get information from me by threatening to tell others about me.

RachelDenise
12-01-2006, 05:48 AM
Good luck Dee. Keep us updated on what happens.

Lawren
12-01-2006, 06:35 AM
I commend you for your bravery. I hope everything works out for you.

Billijo_06
12-01-2006, 06:46 AM
If your company is truly diversified then you are in a minority group. How many CDs are in management? (Probably more than you think)

Perhaps you could be in for a quick promotion…

Good Luck

paulaN
12-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Thank You!!! What you are doing will help us all in the long run. I hope it works out for you. OMG you have a lot of courage.

Lauren Richards
12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Thank you for stepping up to the challenge. I'm glad that you are there helping keep us safe, in both your work and your involvement in the committee.

Lauren

Di
12-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Wow major courage ...kudos to you...let us know how it works out. Best Wishes Di

ColleenCD
12-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Dee,

Your courage is tremendous. We all appreciate the education to those not in the know about transgender issues. As a security level concern goes, if you have informed everyone about your CDing, then there is no blackmail security risk. But that means family and friends also.

Anyway, a job well done, and the Diversity Council needs your input.

Colleen

Sweet Jane
12-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Hi

goodness, what a big decision. I hope that everything works out well for you

Billijo49504
12-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Wow!!! That sure was a brave thing to do. I hope you don't get hurt by your honesty, and that you get your appointment to the group. Heck, for being that brave, they should name you president of the council...:love: ...BJ

Victoria Anne
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
wow..I commend you Dee for the courage you showed in outing yourself. I could not do it,you are an inspiration to us all and now our representative. I wish you all the luck and hope you will be appointed to the diversity council.You deserve it.

Diana West
12-01-2006, 01:16 PM
It is certainly a brave and noble thing you did.

And I hope your Diversity Council recognizes it as such.

Wendy me
12-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Keep us updated. Can you tell me how to get a security clearance? Would a felony prevent me from getting one?

no not at all most companies want a felon to have a security clearance... really do we think before we ask silly questions?????.........

flatlander_48
12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
"When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid."

Audre Lord

Calliope
12-01-2006, 01:47 PM
I guess I will really find out now just how serious they are about accepting the differences in people where I work.

Every TG in the world owes you a big thanks.

Especially if your employers are knuckleheads.

Go you.

Sophia Rearen
12-01-2006, 02:01 PM
You da man, er uhm, woman!:clap:

princessmichelle
12-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Dee,

Oh my! Good luck indeed.

Princess Michelle

tall_brianna
12-01-2006, 06:16 PM
I would like to nominate Dee to president of this forum! Awesome work. Well done indeed!

-b

shawnaraylynn
12-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Kudos, I say let the suffed shirts deal with us then they'll know what they are missing.

trannie T
12-02-2006, 01:09 AM
I admire people with more courage than I posess.

GypsyKaren
12-02-2006, 05:37 AM
I wish you the best of luck Dee, I hope it works out better for you than it did me. I had the support of the workers, but management didn't care for me being TS and forced me into retirement, but I have no regrets. If we can't stand up for ourselves to be ourselves, what's the point?

Karen

Billie Jean
12-02-2006, 02:42 PM
That took a lot of guts. Good luck in your endeavor. Billie Jean

krisinpink
12-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Your courage is exemplary! Thank-you Thank-you. All the best of luck to you!

DeeInGeorgia
12-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement. But it still scares me some when I think about what I have done.

Huggs,

Dee

Thora
12-06-2006, 06:47 PM
If your company has a Human Resource department, contact them right now. If you have any problems at all with your co-workers, your Human Resources department will have need to apply appropriate pressuere to stop harassment. The earlier they are in on this, the better. Also you need to talk to your boss. If he/she is a good manager, they need to block harassment before it begins. Look into the Human Resource Council (google it) for advice for you, your management and your co-workers.

Then give yourself a big treat, chocolate, flowers, whatever makes you happy. :D You have jumped where many should. Most of us cannot. I'm out to most all social situations, except work. I should be out at work, I'm part of the LGBT affiliate on the job. I just can't handle telling co-workers that I've been lying to them for 23 years when I said I am a man. I don't know if they'd understand the fact that the binary isn't half the story.

Angela E.
12-06-2006, 07:04 PM
:yt: :yrtw: What more could I add to whats already been said?You have much more courage than most.I hope everything works out for the best.Love ya-Angela:<3: :<3: :<3: :doll: :<3: :<3: :<3:

JenniferR771
12-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Thanks Dee.
One of our members at local TRi-ess volunteered to be on a study group for writing guidelines and Corporate Human Resources policy for LGBT employees. Most of the writing is completed--big wigs have to reveiw it. He (she) works for a super major corporation. I can put you in touch if you wish.
Regards,
Jennifer

Billie Jean
12-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Thank you all for the encouragement. But it still scares me some when I think about what I have done.

Huggs,

DeeWhy be scared? Don't you know that you can trust the government? Just ask any Native American. LOL Billie Jean:heehee:

Diana West
12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Most of the writing is completed--big wigs have to reveiw it.

Just how big were their wigs? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Joanna Renee'
12-08-2006, 11:00 AM
That took some courage hope it turns out well.