PDA

View Full Version : Civil Defense

Kelsy
12-01-2006, 07:10 PM
The civil defense logo that has been used for 67 years is being retired and I thought we could adopt it!!:D

hotbobbie
12-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Great just change the colors

janedoe311
12-01-2006, 07:24 PM
I suspect it got some attention because of CD'ers.

Oh well maybe some CD's saw a Civil defense building and thought it was a Cross Dressers club!:heehee:

MJ
12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
insted of black turn it pink :happy: what else

Teresa Amina
12-01-2006, 07:29 PM
...I knew "him" well. Those elementary-school days (otherwise a rotten time) featured the ol' CD triangle prominently. We had those drills where everyone had to go into the school basement past the big green barrels of water and survival supplies, along the crumbling asbestos on the heating ducts (always picked at by us kids:D ), into the depths of janitor-land. The "duck and cover" stuff was passe in Detroit by the time I hit school age but the Cold War atmosphere was still strong in the ol' basement, guided by the comforting CD signs.

trannie T
12-01-2006, 07:30 PM
This has been a test. If this had been an actual alert you would need to change your panties.

Kate Simmons
12-01-2006, 08:00 PM
This has been a test. If this had been an actual alert you would need to change your panties.You got that right, Hon, wouldn't want to get caught in a nuke blast without having clean panties on now, would we?:happy: Kay

Kelsy
12-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Trannie:heehee:

Byllie
12-01-2006, 08:16 PM
How about this ...

MarieTS
12-01-2006, 08:21 PM
The color chage to pink or purple is fine, but the triangle needs to be reversed to the original wide base-narrow top as it suggests a womanly pear shape :heehee:

Kelsy
12-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Nice twist on the triangle Byllie!!:D

Jennifer

Cheryl T
12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Maybe a little pink and baby blue perhaps??

ashleycd49
12-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow! the Civil Defense symbol. Not to show my age, well okay, here's my age ...

Back in 1961 at an elementary schools in Euclid, Ohio, we had "duck and cover" drills. When the alarm sounded the girls ran into the hallway and crouched against the wall. The boys, meanwhile, stood over them leaning against the wall with both hands to protect them ... I guess from a collapsing ceiling, radiation, and any other higgely-piggely event!

I love these memories!

At the time, the next city over, Willowick, had a Nike missile base. The missile silos themselves, however, were a couple miles away in another city. Of course the missiles are long gone and it is unknown if the silos still exist. I doubt it, though. A building now stands on the land they once occupied.

In 1963(?) the missile base property was sold to the city of Willowick and made into a public park, which was later named for Robert Manry, a local resident and Copy Editor for the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper.

As you may recall, he made national news by sailing a tiny, 4 meter (13.5 foot) sailboat called Tinkerbelle across the Atlantic Ocean. Well, this was 1965 and all you fine young ladies out there probably don't recall that story. <sigh>

Well, to finish my story; to this very day, the origianl buildings of the Nike missile site still stand. They are used for meetings and events.

Oops! I guess this reply could be considered hijacking ... sorry the CD symbol just brought back a ton of memories!

klyde
12-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Fun Nie!

Kelsy
12-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey Ashley,

Back in 65 when all of the civil defense drills were goin on I was 10 years old and trying on my first panties!!!:D

Jennifer

Scotty
12-01-2006, 09:07 PM
I like it, so here's my contribution :)

Jodi
12-01-2006, 09:09 PM
That made me think of CONALRAD. When you here this sound, turn to 640 or 1240 for further instructions.

Jodi

Jammie Lyann
12-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Was born in 1966 so I think I missed all of that stuff,
but I like the symbol :D I think it looks better point down but thats my :2c:

marti
12-01-2006, 09:26 PM
We had a Nike missle site near my house here in Los Angeles right in the middle of the San Fernando Valley. It had nuclear tipped missles there until the early 70's.Just yesterday I noticed one of the old Air Raid Sirens all rusty and blowing around in the wind.

Kelsy
12-01-2006, 09:51 PM
And this ! (I hope this doesn't constitute a panty picture)

Jennifer:D

Scotty
12-01-2006, 09:54 PM
I think point down too :)

Leslie Foxx
12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Here's my take:

Kelsy
12-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Nicely done leslie! another

Tina Dixon
12-01-2006, 10:12 PM
:heehee: You people are having fun, never forget the days of the cold war, they tell us kids in school, in case of the bomb to get under our desks, hmmm wonder what that would solve?

Jodi
12-01-2006, 10:37 PM
We had a Nike missle site near my house here in Los Angeles right in the middle of the San Fernando Valley. It had nuclear tipped missles there until the early 70's.Just yesterday I noticed one of the old Air Raid Sirens all rusty and blowing around in the wind.

Sorry Marti. No nukes with the Nike-Herc. The Nike-Herc was strictly for air defense.

Jodi

Scotty
12-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Alaska is strewn wiht those old Nike sites, 2 stories tall -= I think they started tearing them down. They used to use some for bomb practice.

So I played a bit with the images, Night Vision, lights, enamel, etc...

I'm bored tonight I guess....

Teresa Amina
12-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Robert Manry, a local resident and Copy Editor for the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper.

As you may recall, he made national news by sailing a tiny, 4 meter (13.5 foot) sailboat called Tinkerbelle across the Atlantic Ocean. Well, this was 1965 and all you fine young ladies out there probably don't recall that story. <sigh>

Don't remember it in the news (didn't watch or read much news when I was 9) but did read the book a few years later, interesting story.

Aprilrain
12-02-2006, 12:42 AM
wow i love it! So can we copyright it? I like all the pink but think the colorers should be adaptable however we must settle on the orientation of the triangle.

Sejd
12-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi Jennifer
you know, this is actually very funny to me, because when I was drafted being 20 years of age in my homecountry of Denmark, I enlisted as a concious objecter because I refused to bear arms. I had watched what was going on in Vietnam and I didn't want to be a part of a NATO force. So I went into the Civil Defence as a firefighter and served my country for two long years. Had I signed up with the army I would have gotten away with just nine month. I have never regretted my desicion however and would do the same thing today. So in a way, I was a public CD even before I knew what that was. LOL.
I do want to say, that later in life, I have come to respect any other man who decided to serve as a soldier. I honor our troops in Iraq and hope they will come home soon.
Blessings
Sejd

Kelsy
12-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Hi Sejd, CO's who serve in some other capacity get my respect as well. I have two boys in the Navy. My youngest is a Sea Bee who may be visiting the sand box. Thanks for your post!

Jennifer
:happy:

Phyliss
12-02-2006, 05:37 AM
Duck and Cover:

http://www.archive.org/stream/DuckandC1951/DuckandC1951_256kb.mp4

Catholic school in the mid fifties. How well I remember those "drills" of being lead to the basement and kneeling in the darkness while saying the rosary.

My suspicion now is this was just something to with a bunch of scared children when "The Big One" fell.

Kate Simmons
12-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Alaska is strewn wiht those old Nike sites, 2 stories tall -= I think they started tearing them down. They used to use some for bomb practice.

So I played a bit with the images, Night Vision, lights, enamel, etc...

I'm bored tonight I guess....Heh, heh, Leave it to "women" to feminize a symbol that was probably designed by a man. How do you think curtains on windows got started? Not that I'm complaining, mind you.........:happy: Ericka Kay P.S. Think you've got something there, so when do we start wearin' 'em?

Casey Morgan
12-04-2006, 10:42 AM
wow i love it! So can we copyright it?

I would doubt it. I'm sure it's still got some kind of protection on it, and all anybody here has done is create a derivative work.

I'm not familiar with Civil Defense. By the time I started school "duck and cover" had been changed to "bend and kiss". You know, if you see a flash of light bend over and kiss your butt goodbye.

Diana West
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Great just change the colors

Actually I think black, white, and gray is a more apt description.
(Or blue, pink, and purple.)