PDA

View Full Version : NYTimes Article: Supporting Boys or Girls When the Line Isn’t Clear

Byllie
12-02-2006, 12:42 AM
This is a very interesting article. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/02/us/02child.html?hp&ex=1165122000&en=4ba55558f8787f74&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Stephenie S
12-02-2006, 01:30 AM
I think there is not much to say. Who, after all, is the final authority on who we are? Is it not ourselves? Who among us wants to give that right to someone else? It only stands to reason that the child is the ultimate authority of who he is. It's about time we recognised this. I applaud all those brave parents who are allowing their children to express who they really are. Notice that in every instance of reported problems it is the adults, not the children, who generate the problem. Children are quite accepting. To quote that song in "South Pacific", "We have to be carefully taught".

There is NO question in my mind that whatever the age, the child is the only one to be able to say for sure. Change his mind later? Switch back. Where's the problem? Not in the child's mind, that's for sure. It's only in the narrow minds of the adults around him.

Stephenie

princessmichelle
12-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Interesting article indeed, Byllie. Thanks for sharing it.

Princess Michelle

princessmichelle
12-02-2006, 02:26 AM
So if I understand this right, the new thinking is that accepting kids gender variant behavior is good for their self esteem, while the old idea of making them conform resulted in kids who were depressed or even suicidal. Is that a fair summary?

Surprisingly, I think the article would have been stronger if they had given a more cogent argument against accepting gender variant behavior and had even given an example of someone who was "cured." Did the article not do this because there aren't many or was it just practical reasons?

For a long time I've wished I was the opposite gender, but I want to understand the critics of crossdressing. Why? So that I can make a more informed decison about my own life.

Interesting article indeed.

Princess Michelle