PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for an "International T* Day" discussion

Eugenie
12-02-2006, 04:01 PM
In the thread "Are you afraid to go out? Let us start a movement", (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45979) several comments asking for action were made by participants.

I felt that it would be useful to open a specific thread to develop here the idea of an International day for all Transgender people. This idea was initiated on a French x-dressers forum by a French T girl, Pauline. The discussion has generated lots of positive reactions.

We soon realized that if we wanted it to be international day, it had to be exposed on an international forum such as this one. Since I'm bilingual I was asked to establish a link with crossdressers.com

The objective of the discussion is to clearly define the aims of such a day and how to obtain a day in the calendar to celebrate every year the freedom of all Trans people.

In a few words, it would be a day when we could try to get some media attention, a day where a better image of us all would be given to the public at large.

I have already posted this information to the "News and Political Discussion group" on Crossdressers.com (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45568) but since this is a private group, I felt this subject deserved higher exposure.

I have also managed to inform an Italian X-dressers group: (TransgenderETravestismo@yahoogroups.com)

As a first result of these preliminary exchanges, it is clear that there is a definitive interest in this idea, which is encouraging.

I have posted a message on "Femmefever" got a reply indicating that there was already a day for the Trans*: the day of remembrance (www.rememberingourdead.org). I think that this is indeed an important day but the idea we have of an "International T* Day" has quite a different goal. However the two days are complementary.

For the date of that International Day for the T*, it seems that October 5 could be conveniently placed on the agenda. October 5 is the birth date of Charles Éon de Beaumont (October 5, 1728-May 21, 1810), usually known as the Chevalier d'Eon

Such an international T Day could rise some awareness about who we are rather than who we are said to be by the medias and entertainment industry. It would show our diversity and our demand for respect of that diversity. It could express our needs for freedom; demand to be protected against all sorts of harassments. Widely available information in that domain could definitely help some members of our community who are in dire distress at home, with no one understanding them, even their closest relatives or partner.

What form should it take?
- An activist day with street parades?
- A symbolic day somewhat like Women's day?
- A media awareness campaign?
- A combination of the above in various shades?

So far the consensus seems to be for having a rather low key event, at least in the few first years.

There would be the possibility to open a website dedicated to that International T Day. The content could be made of "easy to read" explanations about Cross dressing and transgender, translated in as many languages as possible. There could be a page of links to various more specialized sites in as many countries of the world as we could contact and reciprocal links from them to the "International T Day" website. Hopefully other CD friendly organisations would also point to our website on "International T Day"

These are just a few ideas. I think that this subject would merit to be discussed more widely. What do you think?
:hugs:
Eugenie

Eugenie
12-03-2006, 03:04 AM
Dear sisters,

I'm surprised, and to say the truth a bit disapointed, that this thread didn't get any comments, positive or negative.

If the idea of an "International T* Day" is not a good one, or if you think it should be done otherwise, please let us know.
Eugenie

Kate Simmons
12-03-2006, 03:33 AM
I think everyone is still recovering from our recent "flap" of controversy on the site. Guess we are still settling in from that, not to mention some are still reeling from the bad weather storms some have had over here. It may take time for what you propose to "sink in" Eugenie as I don't think most realize the scope and what we would be trying to accomplish with this. As I mentioned in the political forum though, don't be surprised if we don't get many "takers" as it's easier to sit and watch rather to participate. In all honesty though, something like this is what really separates the "men from the boys" and the "women from the girls". Let's give it a little time and see what happens.:happy: Ericka Kay

Bethanygirl
12-03-2006, 03:58 AM
More of the problem that crossdressers face are rooted in western social and cultural intolerances, not in legal barriers or lack of legal protections and rights. Given that, activism is really not very productive for our needs. Awareness is our best tool for changing the social mindset, and really the best way to achieve it is to just "suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune" and come out of the closet. If we become common-place, our society would gradually come to appreciate us. Ask yourself, how many will brave this? No, I personally have been out for almost my entire life, but I understand the fears that hold so many back, even if I do feel many are unwarranted. The idea that activism will help us is to me questionable at best, but honestly, I wish you luck, and find your efforts admirable.

Eugenie
12-03-2006, 04:29 AM
I agree with you Bethany,

In many countries the legal protection exists and it isn't stopping terrible things to happen to some of our sisters. In some countries there is no such protection. ACtually sometimes just the contrary...

I also completely agree on a soft approach to this "T* day", its goal in mu opinion, should be mainly to rise public awarenes.

I sincerely think that the group who would mostly benefit from such an awareness camnaign would be the ones of us who are deeply in the closet, with SOs not knowing or not supportive at all. A better image of Cross Dressing, especially if it comes to mass media attention, would be informative to SOs and, perhaps, help those sisters in very bad situations at home find a compromise with their SOs, if not a total acceptance.

Thanks for the encouragements.
Eugenie

Angela E.
12-03-2006, 09:10 AM
I like the idea and agree that it should be low key.Like Bethany I don`t think any kind of militant activism would help us.Good luck on this,I look forward to hearing more.-Angela.

Kate Simmons
12-03-2006, 09:37 AM
As has been posted in various threads previously, Native Americans and other cultures readily embraced folks with gender duality and recognized the value of them and highly respected them. I personally feel that this is a "gift" and not a "curse". The problem is, as we well know, in the world today it is looked down upon as if we were pariahs or something. A day such as this would show we are not perverts or that we have any kind of "hidden agenda" to subvert society and have no desire to do so. We are just people after all who have a slightly different viewpoint and lifestyle. I must admit that presenting this notion is the "tricky" part. It must be framed in a way so as not to be overt but at the same time letting them know we do indeed exist and have fears, hopes and dreams like everyone else. Any culture that denies this is indeed fooling itself. We've been around since time immemorial and whether they like to admit it or not--we are here! It's high time we stopped cringing in the "closet" though. We, ourselves have to acknowledge we exist first, however and a day like this is the way to do it.Maybe, just maybe folks will lighten their perception of us a little. It won't happen overnight but if we do nothing, it won't happen period and we remain basically alone. TG Orgs have been around for many years but nothing of this scope has ever been attempted that I know of. We've been thrown the "ball" folks. We have to decide what to do with it.:happy: Ericka Kay

Eugenie
12-03-2006, 10:06 AM
In order to try to keep every one up to date with what's happening elsewhere, here is one latest development on the French Forum.

The idea was proposed to open to the public at large, just on the "International T* Day", a special section of the Forum. There, we would answer questions from the public: answering nicely to nice questions and clearly to nasty questions...

This could be a series of links on the main "International T* Day" home page to various languages forums.

Just proposing some food for thoughts...
Eugenie

Glenda58
12-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Thank you Eugenie for taking up this fight for a TG day. I had started the thread Are you afraid to go out? ... Because of all the posts that I had read about CDs who have been outed and now may lose family, friends and their jobs. Just because nobody understands who we are and what we want. I only wish to educate the masses.
I myself have lost family and have been blackmailed about my Cding years ago before we had the Internet. I have found many places to go now but there still is places that we can't go.

Shannon CD
12-03-2006, 04:26 PM
I think it would be a great idea, as long as it portrays a positive image (as it sounds like it is designed). Just remember that the media gets to put their spin on it, as they are the ones who offer information such as this to the general public. Has there been any thought given to how to respond when they are the ones with the airwaves?

Also, I can't help but to stop and think of how far peopple like us have come over the last few decades. We have been represented, both good and bad, in movies and television more frequently as of late. In recent times there have been a few movies that have had very respectable box office numbers and critical reviews, such as "To Wong Foo", "Priscella, Queen of the Desert", "The Bird Cage", and "The Crying Game" to name a few. And although opinions vary greatly over this movie, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" made the term "sweet transvestite" a household word. It still has quite the cult following (which should say something about the level of acceptance that already exists) and I know that several people who would be considered quite normal have no problem dressing up to go see this show even today, over 30 years later.

My point is that progress is slow, but it works. I do think that sometimes it needs a swift kick in the butt, and I believe that a day like the one that you are proposing could very well be what it takes.

As a post script, I can't help but wonder how much further along we are now that we have the internet. 20 years ago those of us who were in the closet had no way of knowing that we were not alone. Without the knowledge of the sheer numbers of us out there we could not entertain an idea such as this because, naturally, we all feel strength in numbers. Now we know. Now we have it. Now, can we make a difference?

Eugenie
12-03-2006, 05:23 PM
I think it would be a great idea, as long as it portrays a positive image (as it sounds like it is designed). Just remember that the media gets to put their spin on it, as they are the ones who offer information such as this to the general public. Has there been any thought given to how to respond when they are the ones with the airwaves?

You are right about the media. Indeed we should be prepared. That's perhaps another reason to start low key, with a "virtual" T* day as described in a previous post. We should nevertheless be prepared to answer questions...

But we are just starting... And you are right too about the great leverage Internet gives to such advocacy projects. We can shar experience befor we get our initiative public...
Eugenie
PS: I won't be able to connect to the internet for a week :thumbsdn: But I may be talking to LGBT advocates at the meetings I'm going to attend.

Marla S
12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
I sincerely think that the group who would mostly benefit from such an awareness camnaign would be the ones of us who are deeply in the closet, with SOs not knowing or not supportive at all. A better image of Cross Dressing, especially if it comes to mass media attention, would be informative to SOs and, perhaps, help those sisters in very bad situations at home find a compromise with their SOs, if not a total acceptance.

I think this is one of the most important, if not the most important, goals to reach first.
Showing the closeted boys and girls that they are not the only ones and to set CDing in a positive light in order to open the minds of the SOs and family.
That would have an self-catalytic effect for us.

@ Positive light.
It would have to be the first task to work out in detail what the Negative-Light actually is. That would include a self-critical view on us, because I think we generate some of the trouble we are faced to ourselves.

In this sense, I am not sure if mentioned movies are very helpful.

In recent times there have been a few movies that have had very respectable box office numbers and critical reviews, such as "To Wong Foo", "Priscella, Queen of the Desert", "The Bird Cage", and "The Crying Game" to name a few. And although opinions vary greatly over this movie, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" made the term "sweet transvestite" a household word.
They show CDing as an oddity in an artificial plot and/or within the gay subculture. (Mass media are already onto that)
That is exactly not what a family father/mother, a TG kid or someone who wants to live a "regular" life needs.
IMO these movies contribute to the odd image of CDing.

Kate Simmons
12-03-2006, 06:18 PM
You are right Marla. It needs to focus on us as just people being people. We need to demystify the image so that it doesn't seem to be so eccentric or threatening as most people believe.:happy: Ericka Kay

Byllie
12-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I too agree it should be a "soft" day. I also feel that beyond showing people who we are, it's important to see that there is no us and them, only we. IMHO the day should focus on tearing down the labels that society uses to pigeon-hole folks.

Shannon CD
12-04-2006, 12:17 AM
In this sense, I am not sure if mentioned movies are very helpful.

They show CDing as an oddity in an artificial plot and/or within the gay subculture. (Mass media are already onto that)
That is exactly not what a family father/mother, a TG kid or someone who wants to live a "regular" life needs.
IMO these movies contribute to the odd image of CDing.

The movies were not set as examples of CD's, but rather TG's. I agree that these movies don't present CD's as we are, my point was that they have helped to get the TG world out to the mainstream public. It is a beginning. Remember that other minorities have been portrayed in a less than flattering light in the early days of Hollywood, but the mere fact that minority actors agreed to play the roles (rather than let others portray them as Caricatures) actually helped them to get their foot in the door and eventually help change the image to a more realistic (if not always more positive) portrayal.

By the way. The Drew Carey Show had a CD character who, although a bit over the top, was, in my opinion, portrayed as the most level headed, responsible, strong, and diplomatic character of the show. That has to be just a little bit promising.

Calliope
12-04-2006, 12:27 AM
Count me in.

No disrespect intended to the courageous Gay & Lesbian groups but I think it's high time to grab a bit of spotlight instead of eternally tagging onto the end of GLBT. It's no surprise many people associate CDs and TGs with homosexuality (and I emphasize being gay is way cool) when GLBT is inevitably crammed together. Clarity from independence, a separate Pride Day, and, always, support for the unified cause.

Right the hell on!

Marla S
12-04-2006, 01:25 AM
The movies were not set as examples of CD's, but rather TG's. I agree that these movies don't present CD's as we are, my point was that they have helped to get the TG world out to the mainstream public. It is a beginning.
You are right. It's a beginning and a foot in the door.

But now it's time to have some CD characters with no particular focus on the Cding in the plot.

I. e. I really don't like to see TG-folks lying on the dissection table in crime dramas anymore, but some CDing officers or meds investigating crimes :D

Kate Simmons
12-04-2006, 07:11 AM
You are right. It's a beginning and a foot in the door.

But now it's time to have some CD characters with no particular focus on the Cding in the plot.

I. e. I really don't like to see TG-folks lying on the dissection table in crime dramas anymore, but some CDing officers or meds investigating crimes :DSounds good Marla. A dream come true really. A lot of times TG folks just want to melt back into the "mainstream" after they transition. I can't fault them for that, they've had enough grief in their lives and they just want to be "normal". Who's to say what "normal" is really though? For folks like us, this way of life is perfectly "normal".Those of us who are determined to be ourselves no matter what have the resolve. In that respect, I can only speak for myself and each and every TG person has to mold their own destiny. No one else is going to do it for them. This is a tremendous opportunity, however, to not only show who we are and what we are made of but to demonstrate we are not a bunch of "quacks". How we view ourselves is important because we can't show others if we are not convinced. If we really believe in ourselves we can make recognition happen but it must be a group effort and not just by a handfull. Sometimes you have to show just how committed you are to something and what your resolve is. Then, even if people don't respect who or what you are personally, they at least respect the fact that you stood up for yourself.:happy: Ericka Kay

kristine239
12-04-2006, 04:29 PM
I hesitate to say it my friends, but I think you spend too much time on your computers and not enough time out in the greater TG community. Organizations such as IFGE, TCNE, Genderpac and others, just to mentiona few, are already working on variations of this idea. This includes Lobby Days in DC.

You need to attend some of the conferences that are held all over the country, like the IFGE Transgender 2007 (www.ifge.org/convention). This is where you meet the movers and shakers that are doing what you are talking about.

Glenda58
12-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks Kristine a lot of us don't know of the organizations you mention. Being new to going out we have not heard of them. I think we should slow but we to be World Wide when we do it. It's good to know that there are groups that are already in place to help. But what we need is how to find these groups in our areas. A group in the UK or Boston doesn't help someone like me in Detroit. They need to get their info on sites like this so we can find them.

Calliope
12-04-2006, 05:25 PM
I hesitate to say it my friends, but I think you spend too much time on your computers and not enough time out in the greater TG community.

In Menlo Park, where I live, I am the 'TG community.' And I'm out every day. But when my toddler takes a nap or my 7-year old plays with her friends out in the courtyard, I'm here.

You need to attend some of the conferences that are held all over the country, like the IFGE Transgender 2007 (www.ifge.org/convention). This is where you meet the movers and shakers that are doing what you are talking about.

Are transportation expenses sliding scale?

Kate Simmons
12-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Don't get me started Day. I feel the idea of international T-Day is to show that Joe (or Josephine) Shmoe who lives on the corner of your street and is cringing in the "closet" is just a regular person like everyone else under his pantyhose (or whatever). Talking, conventions, meeting and lobbying notwithstanding, we basically need to make a POSITIVE statement about ourselves without sitting there complaining how bad we all have it and how everyone picks on us poor little TG people. As far as I'm concerned it should be about people being people and people caring about people regardless of their taste in fashion. Short and sweet but to the point, no?:happy: Ericka Kay

Marla S
12-04-2006, 06:29 PM
.You need to attend some of the conferences that are held all over the country, like the IFGE Transgender 2007 (www.ifge.org/convention). This is where you meet the movers and shakers that are doing what you are talking about.

I've read the schedule and I am not sure if it covers what we are talking about here. The titles of the speaches are very interesting indeed and I am sure they are valuable for those who attend ... but, and I agree with Ericka/Rich here, where is the speach about opening the closet, setting CDing in a positive light ?
In this sense the Menlo Park 'TG community' seems to be more active right now.

Calliope
12-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Short and sweet but to the point, no?

Like a laser beam, babe.

Eugenie
12-11-2006, 08:55 AM
I hesitate to say it my friends, but I think you spend too much time on your computers and not enough time out in the greater TG community. Organizations such as IFGE, TCNE, Genderpac and others, just to mentiona few, are already working on variations of this idea. This includes Lobby Days in DC.

Thanks a lot Kristine,

The idea of this day started on a French speaking forum and it is wonderful that large organisations are working on the same idea. Even in the days of Internet, not all information is readly accessible.

Over here in Europe, we have contacted the ABC (Association Beaumont Continental), An LGBT organisation (ILGA Europe), several other forums. So far the only one that was mentionned to us was Remenbrance Day for Trans people who have been victims of violence.

So it is great that we now have a more solid ground to pursue this idea.

I would however second the positoin of Ericka, this days might benefit mostly those people who just aren't ready to attend conventions yet. How would they explain to their SOs that they are taking a few days off to a Transgender convention.

However you are completely right when you say that it is there, at conventions, that things are happening in matter of advocacy. Let's hope some of us will have the means to attend and to defend some of the points that we have made so far on this and other forums. Forums bring to conventions debates the breadth of a worldwide brainstorming.

I hope that we will manage to convince European official trans* organisations to embrace the idea of an International T* Day as well... If the North American ones are already well advanced in that project that may push them to react fast...

Eugenie

Eugenie
12-23-2006, 11:47 AM
The "International T* Day" project seems to be idle... But things are happening behind the scene...:happy:

On the discussion that takes place on the other subgroup of crossdressers.com dedicated to political discussions, Paula Jaye mentioned that the UK already has a TG day of celebration and that this could be a good starting point. http://sparkle.org.uk/sparkle_2007.htm

Of course, a project like the creation of an International T* Day isn't build up in a couple of month...

There is a definite interest from the part of the European LGBT movement. I have a meeting with ILGA Europe Admin Director firmly planned on February 5 2007.

I discovered that an informal network was formed very recently "The European TransGender Network" http://tgeu.net/

I've contacted the chairperson and we should meet at the beginning of 2007.

But I hope also that some of you across the Atlantic and elsewhere will engage in some contacts with the North American and other Transgender organisations.

I'll be back to you as soon as I will have more news.

Eugenie