PDA

View Full Version : Epilating

Josie06
12-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Seen many articles on shaving here that are a couple months to a year old. I though about some "permanent" lotions (Kalo for one) but it's not really. Then I read about epilators and this sounded a bit more interesting.

I read about how it can hurt but also how many swear by them. Shaving once every 4 weeks or so is ... oh, quite tempting.

So I started looking and saw the 'Epilady Discrette' for sale, it's small and compact. It received mixed reviews but over all a B/B+ rating, at on site. More good things than bad were said. Read many ways on using it, such as after a shower and any time, clock-wise motions and with the hair growth and against the hair growth.

What do you girls think? Has anyone used this model? If you use one now, What is your way of epilating?

Looking for help and some wisdom before I dive in. Thanks all.

Janailene
12-05-2006, 09:38 AM
I've used an Epilady for years and now my hair really does not grow back. If there is some growth it is so light that you cannot see it with pantyhose on. I also do my torso with it. It does sting the forst couple of times, but for me it is worth it.

Michelia
12-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks Josie for starting this thread. If anyone has experience with these and others please post. Will appreciate. I have been reading about these things and it appears quality and reliability can be a problem. Also, will they work with relatively thick guy hair, not very thick, but cannot be called light?

Michelia

cathie
12-05-2006, 09:58 AM
I use an Emjoi Optima (Target.com) and have enjoyed it for years. Dual heads so it works more effeciently.

Marla S
12-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks Josie for starting this thread. If anyone has experience with these and others please post. Will appreciate. I have been reading about these things and it appears quality and reliability can be a problem. Also, will they work with relatively thick guy hair, not very thick, but cannot be called light?

Michelia
They do work for thick hair too. Might be a bit more painful, because the hairs usually aren't pulled out immediately, but are plucked several times until they become loose enough. That's a bit unpleasant.
Longer hair should be trimmed to about 5 -10 mm first.

If you are pain sensitive it might be a good idea to find one with exchangabel heads. The Braun 5380 (http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/personal-care/womens-hair-removal/646816/details) and the Braun 5680 (http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/personal-care/womens-hair-removal/646810/prices?other_hits=%3B%3B1677%3B&q=braun+5680) come with an additional narrow head and one with less tweezers. Tough a bit more expensive, you have three epilators in one and you can try what works best.

Personally I have a Braun and I think it is ok. I have a less expensive older Phillips Satinelle (http://www.dikshagifts.com/images/ladies/epilator.jpg)too. Sometimes I have the impression that this one is a bit more comfortable for thicker hair, but if it's only a very small difference.

rachel_in_mi
12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Hello,

I have been working on this for only 2 weeks so it is definitely a work in progress. I purchased the Emjoi Gold caress ( I love drugstore.com :love: ) and it does a great job. I also use the Aveeno positive smooth lotion to moisturize and reduce the regrowth. In 2 weeks I have seen some defnite improvements. At first I had a ton of bumps but I took some advice from here and all I can say is .....EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE :D. My method is a nice hot bath, exfoliate, epilate and moisturize. With consistent moisturizing (twice a day) the bumps disappeared and the second time I used it there were less. I have used it on my hands, chest and abdomen with good success. It does sting at first but is definitely worth it.

Good Luck

rach

ShannonDragon
12-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Works for me!!

:tongueout

Sedona
12-05-2006, 05:05 PM
Not for me,

I have a couple of epilators that I bought a couple of years ago. I have pretty thick dark hair, and the time spent, and the pain involved is not worth it for me. That said, I'm a fan of waxing. I find waxing to be much quicker, with less discomfort (I can't use the epilator without a couple of shots of liquor).

As for Kalo, I've used it, and I think it's a waste of money.

janedoe311
12-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Will not try them.
Do not like the idea of a cream that is strong enought to take out hair.
Wonder what it would do to the skin!

There are threads from people that have gotten burns from cream and spray hair removers.:thumbsdn:

Be carefull!

Joy Carter
12-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Very much like my Epilady Legend. The bumps were there the first two times I used it. But with using an ex foliating sponge and bath oil I think it's much better. The good thing is the hair grows back much slower and finer. And I only have to do the deed about every ten to fourteen days. I do have some in-grown hairs but no other problems. A good thing is buy your self an electric hair shaver (10 to 20 bucks) and use it the first time so you don't over work your epilator. :thumbsup:

Keely
12-05-2006, 07:29 PM
I use an Emjoi also. Hurts like the dickens the first few times but you get used to it. :rolleyes: They do a good job and it lasts a couple of weeks. When the hair grows out it isn't blunt like when you shave so you don't have the rough stubble.

You have a zillion red spots where the hair was pulled but they are gone by the next day.

Glenda58
12-05-2006, 09:32 PM
Will not try them.
Do not like the idea of a cream that is strong enought to take out hair.
Wonder what it would do to the skin!

There are threads from people that have gotten burns from cream and spray hair removers.:thumbsdn:

Be carefull!

They're not creams but multi head tweezers that rotate and pull out your hair by the roots so it doesn't grow back as fast or as offend

Lisa Maren
12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I use the Braun to epilate and it does make for a lot less work for me than shaving. I do have coarse hairs, too. I'm not aware of my hairs being yanked more than once, but I have done it a bit too fast (because it was ouchy the first two or three times) and so I have some stubble due to the hairs breaking and the pores are red for a day or two, but that might also have to do with epilating the next cycle of hairs. I'm optimistic that after a couple more times these will abate.

I still totally think it's worth it. Might start doing my arms with it, too.

Hugs,
Lisa

jennifer easton
12-05-2006, 11:19 PM
This sounds like the answer I've been looking for! how much are these things xoxoxoxJennifer

Joy Carter
12-06-2006, 02:28 AM
This sounds like the answer I've been looking for! how much are these things xoxoxoxJennifer

My Epilady Legend was fifty six bucks. But I had to send it back for repairs because I abused it by not shaving with a hair trimmer fist. So I can say their warranty service is the best because I got back a new one.

Terri Ryan
12-06-2006, 05:16 AM
haven't heard of this method before, how much area does it cover at a time?
sounds better than electrolysis & waxing, shaving feels nice but it does take up a lot of time, particularly when you got as much area to cover as me

Josie06
12-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer easton View Post

The Epilady Discrette I am looking at is $39 at Walgreens, small compact.

Josie06
12-06-2006, 08:49 AM
My Epilady Legend was fifty six bucks. But I had to send it back for repairs because I abused it by not shaving with a hair trimmer fist. So I can say their warranty service is the best because I got back a new one.

Joy, you said you need to trim the hair first. I hadn't read that before. These epillators do not take long hair? The reviews said using it right out of the shower, no mention of hair length. Just differed on how to 'shave': some ankle up to hip, some hip to ankle and one other said a circular motion.

I'm guessing too that since it pulls the hair out there is some cleanup afterward.

Still I like the various reviews that say about four weeks till you use it again. Not a fan of shaving at all, then again not a fan of beards either. But want this for my legs, chest and abdomen (small amounts of hair).

Thanks girls for sharing.

cathie
12-06-2006, 12:01 PM

My Emjoi Optima was about 100 but it only takes about 30 minutes each leg + pits. If I do my stomach and chest as well, another 20 minutes. I got one thru Target.com and the other thru Amazon.com

Joy Carter
12-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Joy, you said you need to trim the hair first. I hadn't read that before. These epillators do not take long hair? The reviews said using it right out of the shower, no mention of hair length. Just differed on how to 'shave': some ankle up to hip, some hip to ankle and one other said a circular motion.

I'm guessing too that since it pulls the hair out there is some cleanup afterward.

Still I like the various reviews that say about four weeks till you use it again. Not a fan of shaving at all, then again not a fan of beards either. But want this for my legs, chest and abdomen (small amounts of hair).

Thanks girls for sharing.

Josi get you self a cheap electric barbers hair clipper, and set the cut to about the length you epilator requires for efficient epilating. I'd think 3/8 Th of an inch would do it. Mine recommends going in a circular motion to cut efficiently. I does take time to do a good job. So I do a leg at a time. But like I said I don't need to touch my legs for almost two weeks. And the hair that does grow bad has no stubble to it and can't be seen through hose. BTW don't shave you face with it that will hurt.:eek: And hey to those who think this is painful "What Are Ya Gurly Men! ":heehee:

Karren H
12-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Real men shave their legs with a sharp straight razor.....:D

Love Karren

lynn27
12-06-2006, 01:19 PM

Michelia

bought my "Emjoi OptiPro" at Target for about $64. even returned it during warranty [I took it apart for cleaning too far] without questions.

If you are concerned about the pain I suggest you get a full body wax done and then begin using this thing once the hair comes back. I was going in for waxing and it was just getting too expensive. Once the waxing thins out the hair the epilator is pretty much pain free and the hair is getting parser and thiner. That may me wishful thinking but I find it is taking less time. I spend 1/2 an hour two or three times a week working on a different areas. I'm currently doing my legs chest arms and stomach.

drawbacks are a few ingrown hairs [problem with waxing too], this model has a curved head and it had trouble doing flat or concave areas [ie. back of knee], you do get addicted to it after a while....

jennifer easton
12-06-2006, 06:27 PM
I dont know about the $100 but $64 sounds good , on the other hand if it does what every one says then $100 would be a deal!! I just hate jumping in with both feet and finding out it's not going to work for me. I dont think you can return it after you use it! Happy holidays xoxoxoxJennifer

Sally24
12-06-2006, 06:41 PM
I've been using a Remington, smooth and silky off and on for 6 months. You definitely need to get the hair short before you do the first session. Otherwise you really overwork the machine and it does grab and pinch more with long hair. You might even just shave and then 3-4 days later start eppilating. When you first start it can be very painful because you have all the hairs there. As you repeat, there are only some of the hairs growing back.

Right now I'm working on my arms because I don't like how they look when shaved. If I do it every other day for a week it seems to look pretty good when I'm ready to go out. I don't mind shaving my legs for a trip out. For a long trip this summer, I eppilated the legs and then did the stragler hairs each morning in just a few minutes. It looked so good that I could wear a bathing suit to the pool and you couldn't see any sign of hairs. I haven't noticed any permanent reduction in the hair but I haven't been at this long.

I've tried home waxing but found it too expensive and I couldn't do it by myself. With an eppilator, you can reach areas that you can't see.

Good Luck!

Sally

Michelia
12-06-2006, 08:32 PM
I never did shave except a last minute thing before my trip a week ago. It just seemed like shaving would have been a very time consuming thing I could not do. I have sugared at home twice and liked it. So it sounds like I will be ready for one of these epilators now. I will put my order in soon.

Thanks to all of you lifesavers!

Michelia

janedoe311
12-07-2006, 07:52 PM
They're not creams but multi head tweezers that rotate and pull out your hair by the roots so it doesn't grow back as fast or as offend

Then getting skin burned.