PDA

View Full Version : New Suit!

CaptLex
12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Our office Christmas party is in two weeks, so I decided I need a real man's suit for the occasion (I only really have separate pants and blazers). So, I gathered up all my courage and went to find one after work today. I went to a local department store that specializes in designer clothes at discount prices and cornered a salesman (actually, it turned out he was the floor manager). He looked a little surprised, but was very helpful and totally professional (even shook my hand and said, "It's been a pleasure, Lex" when we were done).

He found me a suit (in my price range) that fit so well, it doesn't need much alteration - just a little shortening of the legs and arms. When it came time to try it on, he suggested I use a large storage closet (I didn't mind) and the suit will be ready next week, so I'll have it in plenty of time for the party. I guess I didn't pass very well 'cause he asked me if I'd be wearing it with the type of shoes I had on or with high heels (I guess that binder didn't fool him). :p

It's a very dark grey (almost black) pinstripe. Now I just have to figure out what shirt and tie I'll be wearing with it (maybe red for the holidays). I was walking on air when I left the store and had to celebrate, so I bought (what else?) a bottle of rum on my way home. Cheers! :D

Kimberley
12-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Shirt and tie? Hmmmm.

I went to a wedding last weekend (en drab :sad: ) Wore a burgundy cotton shirt with a printed burgundy silk tie. My suit was a mid-grey double breasted Oscar de la Renta. Looked okay :yawn: At least as far as drab goes; for me.

Anyway, I like colour as opposed to white shirts and a coordinated tie. Is that the female in me coming out or just the fashion side? You decide.

Good luck Capn. Just make sure whatever you choose works with the cutlass and scabbord.:D

:hugs:
Kimberley.

Kieron Andrew
12-05-2006, 09:11 PM
suit and tie for the holiday's.....now im jealous!!!!

Marla S
12-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Cheers and congratulations :Party2:

I am not a professional in wearing suits, therefore I can't give you a tip for the shirt and tie, but on this side of the forum I dare to say that I bought my second tie ever two weeks ago. I even had some fun doing it :hiding:

Holly
12-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Hiummmm gark grey, almost black. Let's see... how about a dark berry in keeping with the season. Maybe a Holly Berry? Congrats Lex.

Calliope
12-05-2006, 09:56 PM
It's a very dark grey (almost black) pinstripe. Now I just have to figure out what shirt and tie I'll be wearing with it (maybe red for the holidays).

Most excellent!

Somebody needs to brings back that Godfather look, and, hell yeh, you're just the man for the job!

(Remember all the sharp-lookin' boys in the New Wave era?)

Kieron Andrew
12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
im with Holly, dark berry red!

Kate Simmons
12-06-2006, 02:18 AM
I'll bet you look really sharp, Hon. Now if I could just see you in it. Okay, okay, I promise to behave. Can't blame a girl for trying though (Sigh!):happy: Ericka Kay

~Dee~
12-06-2006, 02:40 AM
hmm ..

im having trouble picturing it all ..
gee .... if i only could see a picture of it .. it would help my poor little brain understand what you are trying to tell me ..
:D

cheers!

Kieron Andrew
12-06-2006, 02:58 AM
I'll bet you look really sharp, Hon. Now if I could just see you in it. Okay, okay, I promise to behave. Can't blame a girl for trying though (Sigh!):happy: Ericka Kay

hmm ..

im having trouble picturing it all ..
gee .... if i only could see a picture of it .. it would help my poor little brain understand what you are trying to tell me ..
:D

cheers!
:roflmao: nice try girls but i know it wont work ive been trying for god knows how long

Kate Simmons
12-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Ulp! Kieron is on to us Dee. I hate it when a guy figures me out. Kind of unsettling to know that they know that we know that they know, ya know?:rolleyes: Ericka

Kieron Andrew
12-06-2006, 03:42 AM
Ulp! Kieron is on to us Dee. I hate it when a guy figures me out. Kind of unsettling to know that they know that we know that they know, ya know?:rolleyes: Ericka
:tongueout

Kate Simmons
12-06-2006, 03:51 AM
:p So, there you big silly. Hey, I wonder if Cap would at least take a pic of the suit to show us?Then maybe I could picture it. I just love a man with a good sense of fashion.:heehee:

Kieron Andrew
12-06-2006, 04:05 AM
:p So, there you big silly. Hey, I wonder if Cap would at least take a pic of the suit to show us?Then maybe I could picture it. I just love a man with a good sense of fashion.:heehee:you might actually get away with that one lol, i was gonna post him a digital camera if he was gonna use the excuse of not having one lol

Kate Simmons
12-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Good idea. I was thinking of that also but well, being a "girl" didn't want to make it too obvious. Guys can get away with stuff like that with other guys. Gals aren't in the "club" you know, I'm "stuck" over here with all these "giddy females".:rolleyes: Ericka

Kieron Andrew
12-06-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm "stuck" over here with all these "giddy females".:rolleyes: Ericka
i dont wanna be you when the other girls read that lol

Kate Simmons
12-06-2006, 04:29 AM
Well, I'm on the GM Forum also, Kemo Sabe, so me havvum ammunition(and arrows!) to defend myself against these "paleface women".:p Ericka

pocoyo
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Wheee, good one Lex! I bet you felt great :D

(even shook my hand and said, "It's been a pleasure, Lex" when we were done).
Awww, very cool.
Love the sound of your suit, it sounds really stylish!

Bloomin' good on ya! (And the rum woo!)

CaptLex
12-06-2006, 10:40 AM
:p So, there you big silly. Hey, I wonder if Cap would at least take a pic of the suit to show us?Then maybe I could picture it. I just love a man with a good sense of fashion.:heehee:
I promise to try to take a pic of the suit when I get it (and find a tie). But I can't promise you'll see me in it. Now I just have to wrestle the camera away from my son. :spank:

Sandra
12-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Sounds really stylish Capt, now if I get you a case or two of rum will you put a pic for us to see? Please :happy:

CaptLex
12-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Sounds really stylish Capt, now if I get you a case or two of rum will you put a pic for us to see? Please :happy:
That's VERY tempting, Sandra . . . make it Bacardi light! :thumbsup:

Kate Simmons
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
That's VERY tempting, Sandra . . . make it Bacardi light! :thumbsup:Don't fall for it Hon. They are trying to get you drunk. Probably wouldn't work anyway, cause you could probably drink us all under the table being the Captain and all. Pic of the suit will do fine for now. I kinda admire a man of mystery myself. Keeps me in-um-anticipation.:heehee: Ericka

CaptLex
12-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Don't fall for it Hon. They are trying to get you drunk. Probably wouldn't work anyway, cause you could probably drink us all under the table being the Captain and all.
You're right on that one, Ericka . . . :devil:

I'm thinking of going with this tie . . .

http://www.tieguys.com/Detailed/4779.html

Most times my whimsical side wins out over my stylish side. :tongueout

Di
12-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Love the tie.....what shirt have you decided on? And love A pin stripe suit....really sharp :thumbsup:

Reminds me of a song...every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

CaptLex
12-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Love the tie.....what shirt have you decided on? And love A pin stripe suit....really sharp :thumbsup:

Reminds me of a song...every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.
Thanks, Di . . . probably just a plain white shirt - don't want to have too many colors happening at once (or they'll mistake me for the Christmas tree). :heehee:

Di
12-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Sounds perfect.....very sharp.....Now I can't wait till the party....want to hear all about it............:D

ubokvt
12-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Ok capn tryin to understand this picture thing, hope you like mine, yeah. Hmmmm, maybe take a pic and crop the head so we can get an idea, yeah that's it "crop his head offf"

Seriously though we need to see the shoes, and belt, I believe it should be leather. It sounds like you bought a quite nice suit so of course you'll need cuff links, be sure they match with your university ring. We have to see the tie, any ideas on the shirt collar, and very important the tie pin. I reccomend the tie pin versus the clip, much more elegant. Now what type of or color hankie in the breast pocket and what for the suit coat coller a pin or flower, please no small american flag its sooooo clique. You didn't mention does it come with a vest. Isn't this fun.:tongueout

~Dee~
12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Ulp! Kieron is on to us Dee. I hate it when a guy figures me out. Kind of unsettling to know that they know that we know that they know, ya know? Ericka

hmm ... maybe ours ways arent all that subtle ... but i figured they'd all be drunk by now. :tongueout

go to plan B, Ericka!

................ what do you mean we dont have a plan B ??

Capt'n, i think thats a most respectable tie... elegant, dignified, suitable for someone of your fine breeding yadda yadda ... wheres the pic?

Capt'n, you leave me no choice .. :devil:

everyone get out your wallets, purses or sock rolls ..
we are starting the:

:devil: "Get the Capt'n's Picture Fund.":devil:

remember, this is for an excellent cause ..
its just whether it ends up in bribery or private detectives ... im not sure yet.

but yeah .. the tie still looks good.
:happy:

ubokvt
12-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey what is this, on our side we get adds for beaded gowns and corsets and they get adds for suits and tuxs. Goggle is watching

Tina Dixon
12-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Well stud I just hope you show us gals a picture of you all dressed up:lovestruck:

CaptLex
12-07-2006, 12:06 AM
Ok capn tryin to understand this picture thing, hope you like mine, yeah. Hmmmm, maybe take a pic and crop the head so we can get an idea, yeah that's it "crop his head offf"
Hey, that might work . . .

Seriously though we need to see the shoes, and belt, I believe it should be leather. It sounds like you bought a quite nice suit so of course you'll need cuff links, be sure they match with your university ring. We have to see the tie, any ideas on the shirt collar, and very important the tie pin. I reccomend the tie pin versus the clip, much more elegant. Now what type of or color hankie in the breast pocket and what for the suit coat coller a pin or flower, please no small american flag its sooooo clique. You didn't mention does it come with a vest. Isn't this fun.:tongueout

Well, the suit is still at the store being altered until the end of next week, and the party is not for two weeks, so I'll have to ask you guys to be patient. Meanwhile, I'll try to answer these questions and paint a mental picture . . .

The shirt I'm thinking of wearing doesn't require cuff links (I would love to get some cuff links, though).

The collar is not buttoned down or anything, just a plain pointy collar.

I don't know if I'll wear a tie pin, but I do have a Mickey Mouse pin I can wear on the lapel of the jacket - that will match the tie (and my Mickey watch :heehee:). No, no flags for me . . .

No, it doesn't come with a vest - I'll probably already be too hot with all the layers I have to wear, but I do like vests.

I was definitely thinking of getting a red hanky to match the tie - good idea!

So . . . how's all that sound? I'm open for suggestions ladies and gents . . .

CaptLex
12-07-2006, 12:11 AM
Capt'n, you leave me no choice .. :devil:

everyone get out your wallets, purses or sock rolls ..
we are starting the:

:devil: "Get the Capt'n's Picture Fund.":devil:

remember, this is for an excellent cause ..
its just whether it ends up in bribery or private detectives ... im not sure yet.

:lol2: Best spent on a good photographer, I think. :p

ubokvt
12-07-2006, 12:49 AM
yes you need some cufflinks may I suggest http://www.justcufflinks.com/catalog_detail.cfm?sort=yes&keyword=&sortbyORD=4&sortbyCAT=35&sortbyFEAT=0&rct=17&begin=17 Sellect a set amd we will take up a collection we will send the cabin boys around tonight

CaptLex
12-07-2006, 01:15 AM
yes you need some cufflinks may I suggest http://www.justcufflinks.com/catalog_detail.cfm?sort=yes&keyword=&sortbyORD=4&sortbyCAT=35&sortbyFEAT=0&rct=17&begin=17 Sellect a set amd we will take up a collection we will send the cabin boys around tonight
Oh, cool site! All the pirate ones are great! Decisions, decisions . . . :cool:

Teresa Amina
12-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Say Capt'n, I just happened to have this suit (the Wedding and Funeral suit all guys need to have) and thought I'd post a pic here since yours isn't available yet. Not quite my style anymore, maybe it's like yours?

CaptLex
12-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Say Capt'n, I just happened to have this suit (the Wedding and Funeral suit all guys need to have) and thought I'd post a pic here since yours isn't available yet. Not quite my style anymore, maybe it's like yours?
That's a very nice suit, Teresa, but to be honest I thought it was a woman's suit - maybe it's the blouse that's making me think that. Very sharp! :thumbsup: Yeah, I'd love a suit like that.

Kieron Andrew
12-07-2006, 11:25 AM
That's a very nice suit, Teresa, but to be honest I thought it was a woman's suit - maybe it's the blouse that's making me think that. Very sharp! :thumbsup: Yeah, I'd love a suit like that.
it is a woman's suit look at the buttons......opposite way to mens

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
That's a very nice suit, Teresa, but to be honest I thought it was a woman's suit - maybe it's the blouse that's making me think that. Very sharp! :thumbsup: Yeah, I'd love a suit like that.Gotta watch Teresa, Cap. I thought the same as you. Hey get that "head out of the clouds for a minute girl".MMM, Okay , I believe ya (I think!):heehee: Ericka Kay

CaptLex
12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
You're right, Kieron, I always forget to look at the buttons. You're a regular Sherlock Holmes, you are . . . :thumbsup:

Sandra
12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Don't fall for it Hon. They are trying to get you drunk. Probably wouldn't work anyway, cause you could probably drink us all under the table being the Captain and all. Pic of the suit will do fine for now. I kinda admire a man of mystery myself. Keeps me in-um-anticipation.:heehee: Ericka

As if :rolleyes:

Kieron Andrew
12-07-2006, 01:16 PM
You're right, Kieron, I always forget to look at the buttons. You're a regular Sherlock Holmes, you are . . . :thumbsup:
Nah jus been wearing men's clothes wayyyyyyy too long:heehee:

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 01:34 PM
You're right, Kieron, I always forget to look at the buttons. You're a regular Sherlock Holmes, you are . . . :thumbsup:Yeah, can't pull one over on that guy for sure. Maybe he can give some pointers in my PI course I'm taking.:happy: Ericka

Kieron Andrew
12-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Maybe he can give some pointers in my PI course I'm taking.:happy: Ericka
PI course?? whats that then?

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 02:26 PM
PI course?? whats that then?Since I'm semi-retired now, I'm taking a course to be a private investigator. Guess who's going to do the "field work"? Hint: I plan to call my business EKR Investigations:happy:

Teresa Amina
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM

Gotcha! I just used the inside button hole from the "wrong" side to go right over left in honor of my adoptive gender:happy: Nice thing with double breasted suits- lots of room for adjustments.

pocoyo
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Since I'm semi-retired now, I'm taking a course to be a private investigator. Guess who's going to do the "field work"? Hint: I plan to call my business EKR Investigations:happy:

Erickayrich... could you BE any cooler?! lol :happy:

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
Gotcha! I just used the inside button hole from the "wrong" side to go right over left in honor of my adoptive gender:happy: Nice thing with double breasted suits- lots of room for adjustments.That's okay Teresa, Cap's a good egg. He won't hold that against you. Gotta watch Kieron though, he don't miss a trick.....................:p Ericka Kay

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Erickayrich... could you BE any cooler?! lol :happy:Not unless I stick my head in the icebox, Poc. Hey, where DID that beer go anyway?:happy: EKR

pocoyo
12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Not unless I stick my head in the icebox, Poc. Hey, where DID that beer go anyway?:happy: EKR

*hic* coudenn tellya forsure :cheers: bu' it wassen me, nope.

CaptLex
12-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Gotcha! I just used the inside button hole from the "wrong" side to go right over left in honor of my adoptive gender:happy: Nice thing with double breasted suits- lots of room for adjustments.
Tryin' to fool the captain, eh? Good thing Kieron is on watch! It's still a nice suit . . . too bad double-breasted jackets don't suit me. They sure look nice on other people. :happy:

Pocoyo, I think Erica/Rich/Kay lives nine lives all in one . . . secret agent/private eye/ship's wench . . .

pocoyo
12-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Hahaha! Superickayrich :D

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Tryin' to fool the captain, eh? Good thing Kieron is on watch! It's still a nice suit . . . too bad double-breasted jackets don't suit me. They sure look nice on other people. :happy:

Pocoyo, I think Erica/Rich/Kay lives nine lives all in one . . . secret agent/private eye/ship's wench . . .You're too nice Cap. Even though Teresa is my friend, I think I'd have to keelhaul her for that one. As far as myself, don't forget "rampaging she devil". Well, not really,but it sounded good anyway.:heehee: Erickayrich

Teresa Amina
12-07-2006, 08:48 PM
You're too nice Cap. Even though Teresa is my friend, I think I'd have to keelhaul her for that one

Ooooh! If something simple gets such a reaction I'm just going to have to keep an eye on things here. Who'd a thunk it that pirates had so much fun...:D

dancinginthedark
12-07-2006, 09:19 PM

http://www.tieguys.com/Detailed/4779.html

Most times my whimsical side wins out over my stylish side. :tongueout

Congrats on taking that step and buying a nice suit for yourself Capt. I took at look see at the tie you're considering. I love it kiddo, being a sucker for whimsical and Mickey myself. I think your spot on with thinking of going with a white shirt. I can see it now: that lovely red with a snowy white back drop. You're going to look so great~ have fun at the party. Now were's the rum? :D

Dancin

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Ooooh! If something simple gets such a reaction I'm just going to have to keep an eye on things here. Who'd a thunk it that pirates had so much fun...:DSorry Hon but I'm "putty" when it comes to Buccaneers. Nothin' personal you understand.:happy: Ericka

CaptLex
12-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Okay, here's a pic of the new suit, as promised.

Yeah, I know what you want to see . . . I'm working up to that. :hiding:

Teresa Amina
12-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Shouldn't that be a Pirate Mickey? Maybe after X-mas....

CaptLex
12-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Shouldn't that be a Pirate Mickey? Maybe after X-mas....
You know me too well, Teresa. I did want a Pirate Mickey one, but couldn't find it. The Disney Store didn't even have the Santa Mickey one - I had to get it online. Maybe after Christmas . . .

Dasein9
12-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Good choice, Lex. Charcoal goes with everything, so you can do blues and even a subtle green if you feel daring.

I do recommend an undershirt even with the binder. It keeps the anti-p from getting on the nice dress shirt and making it yellow on the armpits.

With the charcoal, I favour a french blue.

pocoyo
12-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Hehe, most dashing :D
It was funny 'cos I scrolled down (forgetting about the mickey tie) thinking "oh how very smart..." then Mickey appeared LOL... aww very christmassy and jolly :D

And yes... can't wait to see you in it!
Bet you have an awesome time in it too...

CaptLex
12-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Good choice, Lex. Charcoal goes with everything, so you can do blues and even a subtle green if you feel daring.

I do recommend an undershirt even with the binder. It keeps the anti-p from getting on the nice dress shirt and making it yellow on the armpits.

With the charcoal, I favour a french blue.
Thanks, I chose the color 'cause I can wear it with all my current shirts: white, gray, red, pink and blue (I don't do green). My undershirts are all sleeveless, so that wouldn't help with the stains, but so far my shirts have been stainless - maybe it's the brand of AP I use? I wish I didn't have to wear so many layers: binder, shirt, tie and jacket . . . . it won't give me much mobility for dancing at the party. :p

Poc, I swear I'll work on getting a decent pic taken of me in it - can't promise anything. :happy: