PDA

View Full Version : Unconscious feminine mannerisms

Diana West
12-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Something very subtle just happened.

I'm very careful at work that I don't let any of my feminine mannerisms slip. I'm very conscious of my walk and hand gestures. It's due to the masculine atmosphere that prevades here.

But I suddenly realized that I was doing something at a vending machine that surprised me. It was something I wasn't doing consciously. In fact, it was something that I don't think I would have been able to explain if I hadn't been so conscious of my mannerisms.

I was pressing my selection at the soda machine with my fingers and my palm up. Very dainty.
I watched a couple of other men make a selection and they sort of punched their selection with their knuckles and palm down.

So have you caught yourself any unconscious feminine mannerisms?
Or more importantly, do you know of any subtle feminine gestures that we should be aware of?

(The way I choose my selection at the vending machines will not change. It is very subtle and very feminine, but what fun it is to sneak one under the radar.)

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Not really Janis. I seem to have a "built-in" program for when I'm in each mode that seems to preclude such a thing from happening. I really don't think about it though. Even so, I'm not excessively "manly" as Richard nor excessively "girlish" as Ericka. Most of my mannerisms seem to be kind of generic more or less in both modes. Oh yeah, I may "femme it up" once in a while consciously as Ericka when I'm kidding around (especially with my lesbian friends--they get a huge kick out of it) but for the most part, I pretty much act the same way all the time. I'm me and ain't no gettin' around it. I'm pretty much the same in "real life" as I am on the Forum. Unfortunately, a lot of my CD GF's get flustered when I'm not "ladylike" enough. :p Oh well, that's life I guess. :happy: Ericka Kay

janedoe311
12-07-2006, 03:16 PM
and I fight it. I do not crossdress so I have no outlet.
I have always sat with my legs crossed like a girl, and I find myself standing with my hands on my hips.

linnea
12-07-2006, 03:59 PM
This doesn't happen to me much, but occasionally just after I have had an opportunity to dress for a couple of days without interruption, I find myself having to be extra careful with hand movements and my walk. However, the walk is partly brought on by the shoes and clothing, so when I change into male clothes, it's not too hard to remember.

Marla
12-07-2006, 04:33 PM
All the time, but I just go with it and to heck with what people think. My femine
side is there all the time and I love it!

Emily Ann Brown
12-07-2006, 04:39 PM
I have long noticed that I do not sit with my legs wide apart and my groin widely on display, but with my legs crossed at the ankles. I also tend to sit on a sofa with my feet and calves tucked under my tush.

Emily Ann

LaFem
12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
It's who you are luv! Let it out.

melissaabom
12-07-2006, 04:46 PM
My answer is a resounding yes ..

I have caught myself walking in fem mode goin up stairs or just walking .
It takes a lott of practice to walk like a girl ..so sub conciously I am always
in practice mode .

Melissa :2c:

Christine cd
12-07-2006, 05:06 PM
I too work in a male dominated workforce but i actually try to walk with a wiggle in my hips. I havn't been given the chance to go out enfemme yet so when I do I want to walk like a lady. I don't think anyone has noticed my walk, probably cause my rear end doesn't show because I can wear my shirt tails out and it's partially covered. I do sometimes type with my fingers and wrist up bacause I was taught that in tryping school years ago. *s* I really don't care much what people think but my wife who doesn't like the idea I like to dress does care so I have to be careful not to appear femme. My thoughts are, "this is me, it's taken a long time to accept myself like this and if someone can't accept me then thats there problem, deal with it." I'm not taking a smartassed approach but I feel much better about me and I don't want to change it.
Christine:

krisinpink
12-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I have fun 'slipping one in under the radar' as it were...using feminine gestures, or poses...its fun!

Here is a quick little test I read a while ago....(I flunked it) :(

Without reading further, and right now, look at your fingernails................

Heres how to to score...if you looked with your palm down, HOORAY, if not, you did what I did, and looked while holding your palm up. Looking palm up is alledged to be more feminine -it permits looking at your nails, and how they fit with your hand/outfit etc. It said that looking with your palm up is more of a 'just the facts ma'am' approach and is suggested as being more masculine. I got it wrong the first time, but its a mistake I try not to make anymore!!

carla smith
12-07-2006, 05:32 PM
I adjust my bra straps without thinking about it, all the time when I have the wrong bra on!

Angela E.
12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
My answer is a resounding yes ..

I have caught myself walking in fem mode goin up stairs or just walking .
It takes a lott of practice to walk like a girl ..so sub conciously I am always
in practice mode .

Melissa :2c:

Hope you don`t mind the quote Melissa,but it`s very well put,I agree completely.Unless I make a concentrated effort not to, I just naturally start to act femme.-Angela.:<3: :<3: :GE: :<3: :<3:

MsEva
12-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Try to avoid it, but sometimes when walking down the hall to my office, I notice a bit of a side to side swish...have to be careful! eek.:o

Diana_BiMale_CD
12-07-2006, 08:33 PM
I have two things I have done all my life and can't stop. First I sit with my legs crossed like a girl all the time. Just feel more comfortable like that. I also find my self, like a lot of you mentioned, walking with a swish where ever I go. I use to try to walk in a manly manner, but have given up. No one has ever commented on it, so I guess I will just be comfortable with who I am.

Kimmie W
12-07-2006, 08:51 PM
I've given up trying to act like a man. it just isn't natural to me. Watch your hand movements, watch your walk, watch your mannerisms, watch your speech................. Who has the energy? I like me the way I am.:thumbsup:

marie354
12-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Not really Janis. I seem to have a "built-in" program for when I'm in each mode that seems to preclude such a thing from happening. I really don't think about it though. Even so, I'm not excessively "manly" as Richard nor excessively "girlish" as Ericka. Most of my mannerisms seem to be kind of generic more or less in both modes. Oh yeah, I may "femme it up" once in a while consciously as Ericka when I'm kidding around (especially with my lesbian friends--they get a huge kick out of it) but for the most part, I pretty much act the same way all the time. I'm me and ain't no gettin' around it. I'm pretty much the same in "real life" as I am on the Forum. Unfortunately, a lot of my CD GF's get flustered when I'm not "ladylike" enough. :p Oh well, that's life I guess. :happy: Ericka Kay

I know what you mean. I do change some of my manerisms somewhat but, the big thing is my voice. I'm a baratone. It takes a little effort to stretch it an octave.

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Try to avoid it, but sometimes when walking down the hall to my office, I notice a bit of a side to side swish...have to be careful! eek.:oAnd I'll bet you have a very nice "side swish" too Eva.:happy: Ericka Kay

DarleneCD
12-08-2006, 02:18 AM
I seem to always bend down to pick something up as if I were wearing a skirt. bend at the knees with legs together then squat down. I do it frequently and don't think about it until standing up.

Tiffy
12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
I do it all the freaking time around the house. And have caught myself doing these things without thinking while out or at the store. I know I have been seen by a few women who looked at me funny. I do not really mind but I would hate having to explain it to my friends and stuff. Not to mention I raise game cocks. That is pretty manly and there is no room in that for fem manners or gestures.

Tiffy

Diana West
12-08-2006, 09:50 AM
I have fun 'slipping one in under the radar' as it were...using feminine gestures, or poses...its fun!

Without reading further, and right now, look at your fingernails................

Heres how to to score...if you looked with your palm down, HOORAY, if not, you did what I did, and looked while holding your palm up. Looking palm up is alledged to be more feminine -it permits looking at your nails, and how they fit with your hand/outfit etc. It said that looking with your palm up is more of a 'just the facts ma'am' approach and is suggested as being more masculine. I got it wrong the first time, but its a mistake I try not to make anymore!!

I did what you did. Palm up.

JoAnnDallas
12-08-2006, 10:20 AM
I have caught myself seating at a meeting with my leg across my knee, sitting stieght and my hands resting either in my lap or on my knee. One time when I noticed that I was doing this, I also noticed two ladies at the meeting doing the same thing. I wondered if I unconcessesly started mimicking them.

Then one day I was sitting at the doctors office waiting my turn and I pulled a nail file out of my pocket and was filing my nails, when I notice a couple of other women staring at me. It took me a few moments to reliaze again I was sitting with one leg across my knee, setting stieght, and filing my nails. I just smiled and kept on filing. LOL Guess they thought I was gay or something. LOL

melissaK
12-08-2006, 10:44 AM
Oh my. I have always been a mix. Sometimes I've tried to keep track, but like someone above said, who has the time or energy. Generally I suppose my mannerisms are more feminine than masculine, sit knees together or legs crossed tightly one over another, often rest chin on back of hand, absent mindly play with necklaces, etc.... But I am just me, and no one makes fun or teases.

Through my 20's my primary wardrobe was cowboy boots, women's
jeans, women's open neck long sleeve t's, 2 feet of hair, all topped off with a straw cowboy hat. Even with that I was in such denial then. Friends didn't ever comment to me - and my nickname was "slim."

Really the only teasing I can recall was on a couple occasions after hanging out with my few big burley guy friends who exude maleness (hey, we know it when we see it), and when I started to mimic THEIR actions and mannerisms, THEN they make fun of me for trying to be a big tough guy!

Lindahexi
12-08-2006, 10:58 AM

I just looked at my nails PALM DOWN, never thought about it before, but I guess the femme way is natural for me. I have just given them 2 coats of lacquer, they look good, and I love the smell of the lacquer.:hugs:

Karren H
12-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I think I have more and more every day and they seem to be blending in with the male ones......

Love Karren

Alice D
12-08-2006, 09:23 PM
but with my legs crossed at the ankles.- me too, but I've always done this-just more comfortable.

Josie06
12-08-2006, 09:39 PM
I guess I've always sat with my legs crossed at thee knees, just so much more comfortable. I also sit at time with my legs tucked somewhat under the chair crossed at the ankles, calves/thighs together. My children comment about the way I sit a lot, saying sarcastically "where did you learn to sit like a girl?"

When I bend down, it's legs together like I'm wearing a skirt. I was once told that is the proper way so as not to inadvertently hurt your back or a muscle.

As for the test , it's palm down fingers extended out.

I agree with Marla, "The heck with it, just go with the flow."