PDA

View Full Version : Proper Terminology

Diana West
12-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Is there a difference between the terms gurl, gyrl, or womyn?

Is one preferable to others?
Are some of these offensive?

Are there others that I'm unaware?

Joyciecd
12-07-2006, 01:51 PM
I am a CD who describes herself and others similar as "girl".

Kimkandy
12-07-2006, 02:11 PM

Not really... they are all baaaddd speeelllingss and unngramakticalz... I just use girl and woman... guess I'm old school.

Kim

:dom: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Calliope
12-07-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm now using the 'Maoist Internationalist Movement' term womyn. For kicks, mainly - there sure ain't no girly girls in that crowd.

Peggy55
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
There is no difference...they are all incorrectly spelled! smile

pocoyo
12-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I read somewhere the other day that "gurl" means young person of either sex :eek: I think it was from Chaucer's english or something.

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Never heard of those other aminals. If you are referring to when I'm en femme, I'm a "girl"(more or less). Guess some people are just trying to be "campy" or just can't plain spell. And I thought I was nutty--Geez!:happy: Ericka Kay

Karren H
12-07-2006, 02:43 PM
I don't care much for the alternative spelling that some use.....not really offended but if someone pops in out of the blue on IM and says "Hey gurl".....9 times out of 10 the are and will be ignored!!

Rather be called "Hey you" or "girl" or better yet "pretty lady" ......."beautiful woman"......"foxy chick"........"Karren"......... Hehehe. But then that's just me!!

For sure.......an opening line is everything.........Mahn!!! :D

Love Karren

Diana West
12-07-2006, 02:47 PM
That's what I love about this site. I'm getting some honest, intelligent feedback with some wit! You guys, -er- girls, -er- gyrls, -er- womyn, -er- women, -er- girls, -er- You people are great!

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 03:08 PM
That's what I love about this site. I'm getting some honest, intelligent feedback with some wit! You guys, -er- girls, -er- gyrls, -er- womyn, -er- women, -er- girls, -er- You people are great!Or you could say "peeps" if you want to get "technical"Janis. I agree with the intelligent part but humor-well,goodness gracious me-No! A proper "lady" would never resort to such a barbarism to illustrate a point--now would she?:heehee: Ericka Kay

pocoyo
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
That's what I love about this site. I'm getting some honest, intelligent feedback with some wit! You guys, -er- girls, -er- gyrls, -er- womyn, -er- women, -er- girls, -er- You people are great!

And bois, er boys!

Penny
12-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Not really... they are all baaaddd speeelllingss and unngramakticalz... I just use girl and woman... guess I'm old school.

Kim

:dom: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

And lady! Now that I'm older, I don't mind being called "Mam" too.

:hugs:

Penny

Marla S
12-07-2006, 03:46 PM
English .... what a language :rolleyes: ;)

linnea
12-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Bad spellings, affectations, efforts to be campy, efforts to distinguish between being GG and CD, etc.--there are lots of reasons. The was a somewhat militant branch of the early women's [womyn's] movement that wanted to use a spelling that didn't include "men" in the word "women." There was even an effort to change the word "MENstruation." I don't think that "gurl" ever appears in Chaucer's work, but it's possible since consistent spelling was not a big issue in those days, nor in Shakespeare's times either. Shakespeare spelled his own name several different ways. I've used "gurl" on occasion, but I do prefer "woman," "girl," "lady," or "ma'am."

Charleen
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Just don't call me late for dinner!!

pocoyo
12-07-2006, 04:21 PM
“What eyleth you? Some gay gurl, God it wot, Hath brought you thus upon the very trot” I think that's from the Canterbury Tales, Chaucer. Probably like the only time he used it or something lol.
Not meaning gay of course anyone worrying! Hehe.

Dunno bout the origin of it meaning young person of either sex but I read that somewhere.

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 04:33 PM
“What eyleth you? Some gay gurl, God it wot, Hath brought you thus upon the very trot” I think that's from the Canterbury Tales, Chaucer. Probably like the only time he used it or something lol.

Dunno bout the origin of it meaning young person of either sex but I read that somewhere.Back in those days, "gay" meant "happy". All "gurls" were of course "happy", so I guess that means that back then, all "gurls" were "gay".(if you use logic , that is)Go figure!:rolleyes: Ericka

pocoyo
12-07-2006, 04:45 PM
lol!! Indeed :happy:

CaptLex
12-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Dunno bout the origin of it meaning young person of either sex but I read that somewhere.
:clap: We have the most talented and literate boys . . . *beams proudly* :D

LaFem
12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Understandable, readable, correct spelling and punctuation will always be in style, just like nylon stockings, nice make-up, and lacy lingerie. In the early days of the Internet, when bandwidth was very limited, abbreviations and NOT SHOUTING made some sense. Now it's just bad grammar and lazy. The Google Toolbar has a spell check, free, try it. Not that anyone cares, but I usually don't read postings that have no capitals and bad spelling. I don't think I'm the only one.

Kate Simmons
12-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Understandable, readable, correct spelling and punctuation will always be in style, just like nylon stockings, nice make-up, and lacy lingerie. In the early days of the Internet, when bandwidth was very limited, abbreviations and NOT SHOUTING made some sense. Now it's just bad grammar and lazy. The Google Toolbar has a spell check, free, try it. Not that anyone cares, but I usually don't read postings that have no capitals and bad spelling. I don't think I'm the only one.Don't go "there" Hon. Tammi will get you like she got me. I appreciated it, though. Opened my eyes bigtime. The important thing is what everyone is saying (or trying to say) and the fact that they have the courage to post to begin with.:happy: Ericka Kay

Angela E.
12-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Girl,woman or lady does it for me.The only cutesy spelling I`ve ever liked is grrrrl ,as in Riot Grrrrl.-Angela.:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :doll: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

DawnRodgers
12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
As far as I know the alternative spellings for the feminine are , or are meant to, differentiate us ladies from those that are genetic females. As to who or what decided that is the way it should be - I don't really know. Frankly, I don't want to be differentiated. I prefer to be addressed as Dawn and descripitively called miss, mrs., girl, lady, woman or ma'am depending where in this coutry, or world, I am and, of course, how I am dressed. Would love to be able to be called by those feminine names even in jeans and sneakers. Probably could if I wore makeup and jewelry.
Dawn.

Wilma28
12-07-2006, 06:19 PM

Is one preferable to others?
Are some of these offensive?

Are there others that I'm unaware?

I don't mind what you call me.....as long as you call me often !!!

Sierra Evon
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
I use that term alot , cuz thats how I dress, and thats me to a tee, Sierra the Girly, Gurl.........:happy:

Diana_BiMale_CD
12-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Gosh, I sure have been misled. I always thought Cder's liked the term gurl, instead of girl. How wrong I have been. I'm fairly new to being honest with myself and others about my feminine feelings, so please excuse my mistake in using gurl since I joined this site. I promise all you wonderful "gurls" Oh I mean "girls" that I will be very careful from now on and only use the correct spelling "Girl" "Woman", etc. in reference to all you wonderful ladies and myself from now on. Cross my fingers and toes.
Hugs and Kisses
Diana:love:

Leslie Foxx
12-07-2006, 07:15 PM
I find all the variants somewhat perjorative. The one that really gets under my skin is "Galz"! Don't know why, but it does.

Michelia
12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Maybe most of us are older and perhaps is why we do not care as a group for these spellings. They have caught my attention sometimes during my relatively short experience with the internet. Are they really terms associated with CDing at all? They seem to be predominantly used by some younger people in an effort to be cool or to identify with a certain group. Maybe when some of us use these terms we are trying to identify with the (younger) "gurls" and do not really mean any disrespect?

I know this question smacks of naivete. No insult intended to anybody here. Just wondering.

Michelia

Robin Leigh
12-07-2006, 08:15 PM

I've always thought the spelling "gurl" was ugly. I prefer to avoid it.
I've never seen the spelling "gyrl" before. I've only ever seen "womyn" as a term used by radical lesbians to describe themselves.

I prefer to use the spelling "girl". If I feel it necessary to point out I'm not refering to a GG I'll sometimes use the term tgirl or t-girl, which I find fairly neutral.

Not that anyone cares, but I usually don't read postings that have no capitals and bad spelling. I don't think I'm the only one.

As Erica indicated, it's considered extremely bad form here to comment on other people's spelling & grammar. I, too, mostly ignore the ugly posts...

Robin

LaFem
12-08-2006, 01:15 PM
tank u...i gots da mesug....i suer dint wan ta afend none....sawrey... mi b gud gerl now.

suzy
12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
YES!!! What Dawn said!:D