PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts (in manifesto?)...

Bethanygirl
12-08-2006, 12:37 AM
I know being transgendered is hard today, but it was almost impossible back when I first came out of the closet. In the late 60's, early 70's, there was no word or concept for 'transgendered'. Transvestites were laughingly admitted to in comedy skits, but the idea of a male wishing to actually live as a woman was not even seriously considered even by mainstream psycological and medical practicioners. I started living as a woman full-time in late 1970, and had to find my way without any literature, counseling, or support groups. There was no appreciable sympathy by the medical, social, community of any kind, and something as simple as buying clothes became issues of morality for the store personel if they even suspected you were buying for yourself. Mail order was rudimentary, with no electronic banking. And getting electrolysis done was impossible, or would have been if it hadn't been for the fledgling gay community, which had serious problems of their own. Somehow, even in these dark ages of oppression, I made it.

This isn't a sour grapes post,(really!) or a toot my own horn post. (really, really!) this is a, if I could make it then, then you can certainly make it now encouragement post.

Honestly, it was incredibly hard, at times I was sure I would die, yet here, so many years later, I am healthy, happy, have a family I love, and been true to myself through it all. So to all you younger tranny's out there, I say that with all the progress, (of course there could be more) in social, medical, and political thought. With all the literature, internet, support groups, (forums!) and medical proceedures/medications available to you, then you can certainly embrace who you are, and find the life you were born to lead! Do it while you are young, don't wait until the momentum of your life holds you back further and further from true happiness.

There has never been a better time in western history to be transgendered and find peace, love and happiness. I envy you younger people that. For the rest of you who may wish to say I make it sound too easy, and but this, and but that, I am not saying it will be easy. I say listen to the agony of the lives of trangendered, transvestites, and transexuals that are older, if you can get them to tell you of the horrors of trying to cope in those days. Anything is better than that, and we've actually come a long way. Live the dream, and good luck you younger people.
:love:
(Whew, I sound like Che Guvera, and Helen Gurley Brown all rolled into one! Sorry if this thread got a little 'heavy'):blushing:

StacyCD
12-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Bethany I agree completely that attitudes have changed a lot for the better and hopefully the trend will continue. However, while I was in the closet, the internet allowed me to find that I was not alone (strange and a bit wierd maybe but not alone). Forums like this one where I was a guest for several years before registering have been very supportive of those of us that need to express our feminine side and the support and acceptance that we give each other allows us to survive the people who don't understand us.

Teresa Amina
12-08-2006, 06:22 AM
In the late 60's, early 70's, there was no word or concept for 'transgendered'. Transvestites were laughingly admitted to in comedy skits, but the idea of a male wishing to actually live as a woman was not even seriously considered even by mainstream psycological and medical practicioners. I started living as a woman full-time in late 1970

Wow, I just can't imagine the guts it took. In late 1970 I turned 15 and was running like hell to get away from myself because of the complete lack of understanding of all this. It was only this year that I found out, through this site and others, that there are so many of us TGs out there. At least the young'uns have resources to turn to and a somewhat more tolerant atmosphere in which to find their paths in life.

Kate Simmons
12-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Wow, I just can't imagine the guts it took. In late 1970 I turned 15 and was running like hell to get away from myself because of the complete lack of understanding of all this. It was only this year that I found out, through this site and others, that there are so many of us TGs out there. At least the young'uns have resources to turn to and a somewhat more tolerant atmosphere in which to find their paths in life.Yeah, looks like Bethany was kind of a "pioneer" for herself. It was kind of cloistered back in those days. I was CDing of course but deep in the "closet". I was newly married with two little boys who needed a Dad. There were a couple of "seedy" TV(transvestite--as we were known as then)catalogs and I even subscribed to a FI(female impersonator) newsletter. I always tried to intercept the mail before my wife to spare her feelings even though she knew about me. I ordered wigs and clothes through the mail. Sometimes I got them sometimes my wife did and sent them back.Hell of a way to live really. I drove around (mostly at night) a lot and kind of "flirted" with the truck drivers while driving on the interstates who were always on the lookout for women. Made me feel good in kind of a limited way. Nowadays, as you say, it is tough being a CD but was a hell of a lot tougher back then. I just wanted to reinterate that. With a somewhat "relaxed" atmosphere today, I finally "came out" in 2001 but still it's been an uphill battle until recently. The family does not accept me as Ericka but at least I've made peace with myself and I've accepted this as being part of who I am. It's nice to have the Forum here and read what others go through and it's nice to receive and offer the mutual support. Such a thing was unheard when I was younger and most of us were left to our own devices. We've come a long way as a community and individuals . I'm curious to see what the future brings.:happy: Ericka Kay

Chiana
12-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Great post Bethanygirl. I would suspect that I am a little older than you so I know a little about the era we lived in. The difference is that I lacked the confidence to do what I really wanted to do. Even when a golden opportunity was placed in my lap, I shyed away and refused to admit it. I missed so much....

I admire you. :love:

Sharon
12-08-2006, 11:08 AM
It's people like you, Bethany, who helped make it just a bit easier for all of us who have followed you.

Thank you! :happy:

crossing-the-rain
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Totally agreed and understand what you meant,cause we are nearly the same age,same generation.How lucky you are ,young ladies .
Rain.

gennee
12-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Bethanygirl, thank you for your lovely post. I am a transvestite who only started dressing 19 months ago at age 56. I discovered that I was transgendered at that time. I never had any gender issues growing up but possibly this was dormant inside of me waiting for the right time to blossom.

Now I love who I am and am content and liberated. I wondered what if I discovered that I was transgender in the early seventies? I don't know if any of the services we have now were available back then. Bethany, you are a VICTOR. Your story needs to be shared with many people because I believe some need to hear it.

Gennee

Dragster
12-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Bethany, are you sure you were doing all that in the 60s and 70s. Looking at your avatar, you couldn't have been born then! And if you were, I want to know to know exactly what your beauty routine is!!!

Tony

Bethanygirl
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Bethany, are you sure you were doing all that in the 60s and 70s. Looking at your avatar, you couldn't have been born then! And if you were, I want to know to know exactly what your beauty routine is!!!

Tony

You are sooo sweet! I was born in 1955, and my beauty routine is pretty limited, I use cleanser and moisturizer, (Mary Kay) and their microderm cleanser in the shower.

Thanks! I feel better! :love:

Bethanygirl
12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Now I love who I am and am content and liberated. I wondered what if I discovered that I was transgender in the early seventies? I don't know if any of the services we have now were available back then. Bethany, you are a VICTOR. Your story needs to be shared with many people because I believe some need to hear it.

Gennee

Actually, I have been writing my life story, my story site is listed in my profile.:happy:

LaFem
12-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Congratulations Bethany. I come from the same period and I suffered the same barriers. I however did not have the inner strength to follow my gender. I thought being a TV was the best I could do. You have my utmost respect. By the way, you look great!

Bethanygirl
12-08-2006, 12:59 PM
:blushing:
Congratulations Bethany. I come from the same period and I suffered the same barriers. I however did not have the inner strength to follow my gender. I thought being a TV was the best I could do. You have my utmost respect. By the way, you look great!

Thank you!

OK, look, this is starting to be embarassing, I will NOT respond to this post anymore! :blushing:

suzy
12-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Bethany,

Thanks for the supportive post. Thank God things are better now and pray to God they will continue to become even better as time moves on.:hugs:

Penny
12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Bethany. I was born in the 40's. I first tried on woman's cloths at age 11 and and for me, it wasn't a problem; it was just childsplay. By the time I became an young adult, I was in trouble because I was still crossdressing and had no idea why. My quest for knowledge commensed but material was limited and much like Erica, I resorted to transvestite and transexual magizines. In those days, tranies were thought "to have one ore in the water", "one brick short of a full load" or in other words "not all there". But I knew I wasn't mentally ill. I don't now, nor did I back then, pose a threat to myself or others.
What you did was absolutely amazing. You must have done it on a leap of faith that it was the right thing to do because as I said, knowledge was limited. I look forward to reading about your painfully rewarding life.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Penny

Calliope
12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
There has never been a better time in western history to be transgendered and find peace, love and happiness. I envy you younger people that.

And we all owe you an inestimable thanks for the trail you first blazed.

(ps - Che really was a hunk, eh?)

Diana West
12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Sometimes I wish I would have acknowledged the joys of CD years ago. But part of my acceptance and develop is due to the Internet which wasn't around when I was going up.

I've been reading your story, Bethany. It is very touching.

JeanneF
12-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Bethany -

As a younger transgendered girl, I have nothing but respect and admiration for what women like you went through. The efforts of those in the 60s/70s/80s who paved the road to make our sociery more accepting should only be lauded. As I've been gradually coming out to more and more of my friends, I have found nothing buy acceptance. I can only believe that acceptance exists because of the efforts of those who have come before and endured the discrimination, violence and hate.

It reminds me of the quote by Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."