PDA

View Full Version : Dress for myself or to please others.

Maggie Kay
12-08-2006, 11:01 AM
The other day I was mailing a couple of packages at the PO. I passed a Salvation Army bell ringer and he just left his station to open the door for me. I was dressed in my usual outfit, pony tail, billed cap style hat, Zirconia earrings, rose colored women's polo shirt, women's pull on pants, and a pair of slip on "mules". I said, "You don't have to do that" but he said, "I'm not doing anything here, I might as well make myself useful." The way he said it and his body language were clearly indicative that he thought I was an older woman. I thanked him and went into the PO. A day later, I passed him again. No packages but I just said "Hello" and smiled. NO REACTION. He just stared at me with eyes of anger. This is the kind of thing where being TG really gets awkward. I wasn't out to fool him or make him doubt his manliness. I was just going to the post office. I have to constantly figure out how to avoid this and sometimes, I dread going out. When I feel that way, I usually drag out my eight year old men's wear and am in a funk all day because I am being false to myself. Looking like a bum doesn't help. I suppose that I shouldn't care what people think and just live my life, but I don't like the idea that I might be upsetting people. I am a sensitive sort who is very empathetic and I feel for these people. ARGGGHHHHH.....

gennee
12-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I dress for myself and don't care what anybody thinks or how they react.

Gennee

MsJanessa
12-08-2006, 12:03 PM
A bell ringer for the salvation army?---think of it for a minute hon---they try to hire people for that job who might be otherwise unemloyable---including street people who may have some "emotional issues"---Doesn't mean that stable, well adjusted people couldn't be bell ringers---I'm sure that most are but I've also seen some who were anything but stable---you probably just caught him at a good time the first instance and at a bad time the second---don't give it too much thought.

Maggie Kay
12-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Really the issue is just an example. The fellow was a retired guy and most of these S.A. folks here are volunteers from a very small posh town. You'd have to be here to appreciate it but some are upper middle class folks... I guess I should have mentioned that in my post.

Kay

MsJanessa
12-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Really the issue is just an example. The fellow was a retired guy and most of these S.A. folks here are volunteers from a very small posh town. You'd have to be here to appreciate it but some are upper middle class folks... I guess I should have mentioned that in my post.

Kay

Then his lack of graciousness and manners is on him, not you----still shouldn't give it a second thought.

JulieMichelle
12-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Sorry, I must've missed it... what was the difference between the first and second time you went past him? Besides his reaction, I mean. I take it he "read" you the second time. Were you dressed differently? or?

That must've been frustrating. Hope it's better next time.
:)
Julie