PDA

View Full Version : Family name

ubokvt
12-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Hi guys would appreciate you views on this. Does your family name in any way effect you perception of male. I know I'm asking this wrong but....

I was the last male of my family that bears the family name. My family tried to impress on me the importance of the family name, history and tradition and my duty to the family because of it. Its tied to the tradition of women takeing the mans name, My SO refused god love her heart and stregth. Just wondered if any of this played with you. If /when you Transition what will you do as a family name. What of children? any thoughts.

CaptLex
12-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Interesting question, U . . . as it turns out, I do have my family (or "maiden") name and my son has it too, so that didn't have any influence on my decision to transition. Of course, even if my son hadn't decided to take my name as his, I'm not going to have more children, so I would have still been the last of the clan. Nope, still can't say the name has anything to do with it. Never heard anyone say that either. :confused:

pocoyo
12-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Well I'd just keep my surname as it is like a normal son and my children would have the same name... like any normal Dad.

Abraxas
12-10-2006, 05:32 AM
I've given just a little thought to this. When I legally change my name, I plan on doing the whole thing. Reason being, I've gone through a surname change already, and my current one is just impossible for most people to pronounce. When I was born, it was Allen, now it's a rather frightening-looking Iranian name with 14 letters.
After that, though, I'm not sure if I would change it if I got married. Perhaps I'd do one of those hyphenated names or something. *shrugs*
Strange thing, as much as I am dying to meet a wonderful bloke and stay with him forever and ever, when I have little futuristic fantasies, I always see myself alone. Or, if I imagine myself having kids, there's never anyone else involved, like a husband or boyfriend or anything. At this point in time, I don't really see any likelihood of meeting a guy I'd get into a long-term relationship with, but that's just based on past experiences and pessimism. So I guess I couldn't really tell ya what I'd end up doing if I ever got the opportunity.