PDA

View Full Version : Wig Cleaning: Advice Anyone?

Suzy Jill Tobe
01-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Hello all,

Apologies if this question has been covered eleswhere (I have searched, but it's a difficult one to isolate).

I have a long, blonde wig that needs cleaning, basically to remove foundation-cream that has marked some of the hairs. I do not have, nor will I be able to get before I want to use the wig, wig shampoo. Therefore, can anyone offer advice on how best to clean a wig without using products designed specifically for that purpose? Is ordinary shampoo harmful to the wig, for example? A lady friend tentatively suggested I try baby shampoo.

With thanks,

Suzy

Julie
01-16-2005, 06:25 PM
One question you will be asked as it is very important will be is the wig human hair or synthetic, they have different ways of caring.

JJ

Suzy Jill Tobe
01-16-2005, 06:53 PM
One question you will be asked as it is very important will be is the wig human hair or synthetic, they have different ways of caring.

JJ
Thanks Julie. Yes, I should have stated that the wig is synthetic.

Jadeanne
01-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Suzy,

I bought my first wig, midlength synthetic at a costume store and they recommended using woolite. That's what I did several times until I bought some more wigs and got a wig care kit.

This is my method:

Use a small amount of woolite in lukewarm water. Turn the wig inside out BEFORE putting it in to wash. Just very gently swoosh it around for several minutes. To rinse, change the water to clear water and swoosh the wig gently to rinse. You may have to change the water again until the suds are rinsed.

DO NOT WRING IT at all to dry. I roll my wig very gently in a towel and then let it air dry, using the woolite bottle or something similar as a wigstand (my kit included a wire stand that I use for both drying and storage. I don't try to do any arranging, combing, or brushing until it is thoroughly dry.

I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Jadeanne

Linda-x
01-17-2005, 02:59 AM
This a great thread you started. While I use a wig shampoo, I would also be interested in hearing of alternatives. Also, how do you detangle your wigs, and should that be done before washing?

danielle_bc
01-17-2005, 03:16 AM
Hi Suzy Jill, I have had lots of wigs, mostly synthetic. I currently have one human hair wig that needs styling and cutting and one synthetic. When I bought my first wig , the wonderful lady that sold it to me suggested using Woolite and for our girlfriends in the USA...Zero. If you use regular shampoo on a synthetic wig, that's fine, don't use the kind with a conditioner in it as it just builds up on the fibers but why would you use expensive shampoo and you likely will use Woolite on sweaters and such already. I hope I have shed some light on your situation. Take care, Huggs Danielle.

Julie
01-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Try this link and see if it helps.

http://teddygirl.com/wig-care.html

JJ

Julie York
01-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Just an idea as I have no idea if this works or not.
Would adding a fabric conditioner help untangle? Isn't that what it does to fibres in woolens to make them soft?

Suzy Jill Tobe
01-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Good Morning Ladies,

Jadeanne, Danielle, Julie J. and Erica: this is all very good advice and warmly appreciated.

Julie Y:

Just an idea as I have no idea if this works or not.
Would adding a fabric conditioner help untangle? Isn't that what it does to fibres in woolens to make them soft?
This thought had occurred to me too. Superficially, I would think so, and I may give this a try too.

I will be washing my wig this evening. If there is interest, I'll sum up the results when the wig has dried and I've had a chance to assess it. I hope I don't end up looking like a punk-rocker!

Sweet Susan
01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
Good Morning Ladies,

I will be washing my wig this evening. If there is interest, I'll sum up the results when the wig has dried and I've had a chance to assess it. I hope I don't end up looking like a punk-rocker!

It could be worse!

April25
01-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Ya I have been wondering how to wash mine. This is a great topic.

Suzy Jill Tobe
01-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Hello Girls,

Later than planned (apologies), but I can now tell you that I have washed my straight, shoulder-length, synthetic blonde wig and it has been a success. I will not be looking like a punk after all :)

The make-up (foundation and powder) that it had picked up -- mostly around the inside of the cap and on the hairs that contacted the side of the face and neck -- was easily removed.

I used Zero by Woolite (for those of you that do not know what this is, I have given details at the end of this posting) and the washing did not take long. As for my method, it was very much that described by Jadeanne earlier in this thread.

Here is a summary of my method, which worked for me. I can make no guarantees for anyone else, of course; you are responsible for how you clean your wigs, not me!; follow these instructions -- or not -- at your own discretion.

(1) I used a pick-comb to gently brush out the wig to remove the tangles.

(2) I turned the wig inside out, so that the base of the cap was facing outwards.

(3) I added 2-capfulls of Zero to a sink-bowl with 4-litres (1-gallon) of cold water (these amounts are in the instructions on the Zero container), and I swished it so that the detergent was evenly mixed.

(4) I carefully laid the wig into the water-detergent mixture, and then gently and frequently pressed on the wig to squeeze the water through it. I did not rub or treat the wig harshly. This lasted 5-minutes, during which the water quickly went murky, showing that the detergent was doing its job.

(5) I poured the used water away and gave the wig three separate soakings in cold, clean water (no detergent) to remove all traces of the detergent (the water remains clear when all the detergent has been removed). Again, I gently pressed on the wig to squeeze the water through it (two soaks were probably sufficient, but I felt one more would make certain: I would have hated having a frothy hair-do in the rain!).

(6) After the last soak, I gently picked up the wig by its cap and allowed it to drain into the bowl until most of the excess water had been removed.

(7) I gently turned the wig the correct way around (pushing the base of the cap so that it was now back on the inside) and laid it down (hair-side up) on a towl, leaving it to dry. First, I let the hair dry (throughout the afternoon and into the evening), then I reversed the cap again (the base outermost), and allowed this to dry (I actually left it overnight).

(8) When the wig was completely dry, I pushed the base of the cap back to the inside and again used a pick-comb to gently brush out the new tangles (very few).

I did not try using a fabric conditioner. I looked around but did not feel confident in using the conditioners I was seeing in the stores.

IMPORTANT:

(1) Allow the wig to AIR DRY at ROOM TEMPERATURE; do NOT use or place near any direct heat source.

(2) Do NOT place the wig on a stand to dry because the weight of the water can stretch the wig and pull it out of shape.

(3) NEVER comb or brush the wig when it is wet. Wigs are VERY delicate when wet, and Erica will be most annoyed :)

ZERO by WOOLITE:

Woolite, or Zero by Woolite, is a detergent for fine-fabric washing. Its label states that it, "safely and effectively cleans the washable clothes you care about - blouses - lingerie - activewear - pantyhose - sweaters - baby clothes and more", and that it is, "great for washables of silk - cotton - wool - cashmere - polyester -acrylic - nylon - rayon and other synthetics".

Thanks again to all you ladies for your advice. In return, I hope this thread has been, and will be, of help to others.

Suzy