PDA

View Full Version : Talk Sex With Sue Johanson

Francesca Chantel
12-11-2006, 08:05 PM
My wife and I watched Talk Sex With Sue last night and a caller asked her about the difference between transgendered, transvestites and crossdressers. Sue answered the cross dressing question by saying that it's just for sexual arousal. And that some men wear sexy lingerie under their clothes to justify their fetish and other crossdressers go all out with long gowns and wigs and make up.

I was infuriated by her complete ignorance. As far as she is concerned that there are only two types of crossdressers: Closet x-dressers and drag queens.

I, myself, would say I am neither because I'm not hiding in the closet, nor and I a drag queen of which many seem to be gay.

Thoughts?

Calliope
12-11-2006, 08:10 PM
'Talk shows' are exercises in reductionism, feeding audiences with what they already believe (usually little to nothing), simply adding loud sensationalism. Don't get mad, just turn it off.

And, if [any of us] can find the power within ourselves, get dressed and go out into the community so 'real' people can meet a 'real' CD and get their thoughts rearranged.

Sharon_Rose
12-11-2006, 08:11 PM
While I agree with your comments about what was said, I do believe that there is a third category...the patient. There will be a time when I can dress as who I am. That time comes and goes. I am not a closet person nor am I a drag queen. I have no desire to suffer anguish in the closet, nor do I have the desire to a queen. I prefer to be a lady...one who waits patiently for the opportunity and makes the most of it.

:love:

Sharon
12-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I would say that Sue Johanson doesn't know what she is talking about. Makes you wonder what her qualifications are to be advising people, doesn't it?

Kate Simmons
12-11-2006, 08:17 PM
We had a discussion about Dr. Phil a while back, concerning his narrow minded views on this. People believe these so called "experts" and their blanket observations on things. It's obvious they have not spent any amount of time with the actual people. They may have "credentials" but in all reality, they don't have a "clue". Why bother finding out yourself when this info is doled out by "professionals" especially popular ones? Makes it more convenient for the general public to deal with things,or so they think.:happy: EKR

Sweet Jane
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Sue answered the cross dressing question by saying that it's just for sexual arousal.
Thoughts?

Cool...so I'm not a crossdresser then.

marie354
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
So who's volunteering to go on Dr. Phil and put things right?

dods460
12-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I agree, there are very few crossdressers out there that do it for sexual pleasure. I like to think of myself as a glamaholic anyway:p

Holly
12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Cool...so I'm not a crossdresser then.Perfect answer, Jane. Love it!

Rachel Morley
12-11-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm guessing she's not involved in the TG community so she can only speak from perception or from personal experience. Obviously she hasn't met many of us :(

kathy gg
12-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Just so people get a better idea, Sue Johanson is a nurse who started her career giving practical sexual advice to colleges and high schools and helping with sex education in the Canadian school system. For kids who are rasied in homes where ANY sex is considered HORRIBLE Sue was a light in the tunnel.

No, she has almost no expertise in TG issues. My hubby and I used to watch her show ages ago and I saw her knowledge on tg issues was very limited.

Also, just so this is clarified, this is NOT a talk show. This is a call in show where people call her to ask questions.

Honeslty if anyone watches the show for any period of time you will see the same sort of questions come up a hundred times over....why doesn't my girlfriend have an orgasm while we have sex? Can I get pregnant from digesting sperm? The things that usually get brought up are almost *juvinille* in their cuteness. Think more in lines of questions jr high/high school/college students think about. On the occasion where something is not easily answered by black or white answers....well Sue might not give great advice.

Like I said, she is a nurse. She is NOT a Phd or any practicing Dr. She is first and foremost a *sex educator* She can tell you how to properly roll a condom on your willy....but to get her to explain *tg* issues...well having high expections is just not gonna happen.

Kaitlyn Michele
12-11-2006, 11:31 PM
still frustrating tho..

if lots of people watch and she has any credibility it makes cd'ers seem like something they are not

very sad

Bethanygirl
12-12-2006, 12:02 AM
:blushing: Funny, I thought I was transgendered/transvestite, but I don't dress for sex, in fact, just the OPPOSITE!:blushing:

Shelly Preston
12-12-2006, 12:10 AM
I have never heard of this lady

ITs just a shame that she and others don't bother to educate themselves before giving out advice on issues they dont understand properly

Even worse when its television as it will only cause more predjuice

Trisha
12-12-2006, 12:31 AM
i would go on dr phil show but thay might kick me off as i say what i mean and mean what i say :devil:

Brianne_bc
12-12-2006, 12:36 AM
After having watched the show before I feel what you are getting when you call in to Sue is her opinion. Not fact but her opinion. My opinion is I cant stand her.

Delila
12-12-2006, 12:43 AM
I have seen this shoe before and honestly this lady is a bit of a moron. I think she has good intentions but not the knowledge required to teach these sort of things.

cdjenny
12-12-2006, 02:06 AM
So who's volunteering to go on Dr. Phil and put things right?

i will do it...i will..pick me..pick me...o pick me..:hugs: :love:

i got a few bones too pick with him anyway..my wife belives everything he says.and she trys to imply it in our home...make for a long day..lol

cdjenny
12-12-2006, 02:13 AM
I agree, I like to think of myself as a glamaholic anyway:p

ok but i like to think of my self as a dressaholic:2c:

Kate Simmons
12-12-2006, 02:54 AM
:blushing: Funny, I thought I was transgendered/transvestite, but I don't dress for sex, in fact, just the OPPOSITE!:blushing:Wow, Bethany, now that's a refreshing difference. I like your thinking Hon.:happy: Ericka Kay

Joy Carter
12-12-2006, 04:59 AM
One thing I have learned about so called experts. They all have an

answer for everything. Even if they know nothing about it at all.:2c:

Hey I think I just made up another quote.:D

Kate Simmons
12-12-2006, 05:10 AM
I think the real "experts" on CDing are the members of this Forum, Joy. The only way to truely know it is to "live it", right?:happy: Ericka

Veronica P
12-12-2006, 06:07 AM
We carry the flag. When we're out we need to be respectable and ladylike. The more this happens the more the stereotype will diminish.

Beckii_aCDInOz
12-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Unfortunately closed minded, ingnorant people don't carry signs. Hmmm, another good law that should be passed.

Lets hope Sue's sex talk next week isn't titled sex and mental illness, probably another one to tell ya to go take your meds. :p :p :p

Rachel Newark
12-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Ladies

do remember when discussing the opinions of 'experts' that :

an EX is a has-been, and

a SPURT is a drip under pressure

:happy:

Rachel Newark

Marcie Sexton
12-12-2006, 09:11 AM
In my humble opinion, they are all eat up with a terrible case of "dumb ass", to be so smart, they certainly seem to be closed minded...

I take what they say with a grain of salt and have banned them from my house...:2c:

Kate Simmons
12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Ladies

an EX is a has-been, and

Rachel NewarkHmm, I was gonna say that Rachel but didn't think anyone here would "get" it. I shouldn't question the theory that CD's have above average intelligence I guess. I claim "blonde" though. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it (D'oh!):heehee: Ericka Kay

Penny
12-12-2006, 09:42 AM
My wife is a nurse and her exposure to pshchological nursing while in school provided clear cut differences between tvs and tss. None of her books remotely depicted Sue's answer. So either Sue is an uneducated educator, graduated at the bottom of her class, a liar or an idiot. I believe the latter because the smart person would have defered on an unknown subject.:thumbsdn:

:hugs:

Penny

Diana West
12-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Talk shows like that are for the lazy.
They want to be given the answer instead of researching it themselves.
They also lack the one crucial ability. The ability to question, which is something that all the talk show host does for them.
They also cannot in an interesting conversation, that is an exchange of ideas.

I don't blame the host. They do the best they can and they would never claim to be the one and only expert on any subject. They are just presenting their point of view.

Having said that, please realize that I don't watch those talk shows. I think all those hosts are idiots.

Ranee Daze
12-12-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree, there are very few crossdressers out there that do it for sexual pleasure. I like to think of myself as a glamaholic anyway:p

Then I am part of the very few. Sexuality is always a part of my dressing

USNguyNskirt
12-12-2006, 04:25 PM
My wife and I also saw this episode. My wife was P*ssed. She wanted to call in so bad. Her explanation was absolutely ridiculous and absurd. She generalizes so much. She left out the fact that females could be crossdressers too, that guys could be completely enfemme and not be gay or just wear the undergarments...Ugg, I really like her show, but she should not try to explain something she either (a) didnt have/ didnt want to take the time to explain, or (b) didnt know what she was talking about. In either case, it really was a tragedy.

rosiegurl
12-12-2006, 05:24 PM
like it or not, the general public are complete idiots who believe anything they are told.

heard a great quote once " a mob has half the IQ of the dumbest member"

so unfortuanly, while you or I may see how ridiculous her assertations are (don't start me on MR phil *laughs*) the general public believe what she says.

yes, we should all call, write in etc and complain about how far off the mark she was, and any other idiots spouting that kind of junk.

My SO has expressley forbidden me from appearing on the MR phil show (refuse to call anyone that stupid DR) though I am game for it, and to go on this sue whoever show.

Sasha Anne Meadows
12-12-2006, 06:03 PM
This whole thing is so instructive girls. With crap like that out there is there any wonder that we are misunderstood? These kinds of things are what turn off the public to us or at least hold us in contempt.

Here is an analogy. 150 years ago doctors skoffed at the indea that there was such a thing as germs. Doctors whiped skalpels on their dirty boots during surgery. So whe you want to do some real harm. go to the experts for advice on many matters.

We are normal, we are real and we are misunderstood. But some day girls!!! Just keep the faith.

Love to you all

Sasha Anne

Jennifer Giovannetta
12-12-2006, 06:10 PM
This does not surprise me. Some of the women in these shows, for some reason have an ax to grind with men in general. Making men look foolish or perverted is accepted. She said that some cross dressing men wear lingere under their clothes. It could be that this is an attempt to make us look foolish. I wonder if she would of said such things if the person in question was a female to male dresser. The reason these things are said might be to appeal to the woman at home who might not be that well informed.

Joy Carter
12-13-2006, 06:21 AM
I think the real "experts" on CDing are the members of this Forum, Joy. The only way to truely know it is to "live it", right?:happy: Ericka

Right on Erica ! I wonder if this person has even met a CD TG person.

ReginaK
12-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Ladies

an EX is a has-been, and

Rachel Newark:heehee: I love that!

Kimberley
12-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This is not new. Sue Johanson has consistantly minimized the LGBT communities throughout her career. She has been taken to task at every university and college where she has spoken. She's all for vanilla hetero sex but beyond that is ignorant of any issues of the LGBT community and appears to have done nothing to educate herself on them.

When she spoke at Lakehead University in 2000 her fees were paid in large part by the pride committee yet she refused to acknowledge their presence or needs for education on STD's etc.

Even so, she does reach the larger population which is a good thing. Too bad she cant be inclusive with our groups.

When she was at our college, I walked out on her, along with a number of others.

:hugs:
Kimberley