PDA

View Full Version : Wigs? Are they a must?

marie354
12-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Just a simple question. For those of us that have real hair, although mine's receding a bit with male pattern baldness, are there styles of setting or perming your own that are passable both ways?

Karren H
12-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I love wigs because they provide soooo many more looks that just my own hair.....which sucks btw...lol Used to have long hair when younger but keep it short for practical reasons now...

Karren

Calliope
12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
I do double ponytails, high as the sky, for maximum fem and just let it blow when I don't give a rat's derriere.

krisinpink
12-12-2006, 09:43 PM
I have long hair, but the male pattern thing is very strong, and even though I can do ponytails about anyway I'd care to, I think a wig is the way to go.

Kate Simmons
12-12-2006, 10:17 PM
They are for me Hon. I'm bald as a bat otherwise. Come to think of it, I'm still of thinking of trying that "Ericka dressed to the nines bald pate look". Whaddya think? You know me, I'll do anything once, hell I might like it like Ilia from the first Star Trek movie.:happy: Ericka Kay

Bethanygirl
12-12-2006, 10:31 PM
One word: Rogaine. Let your hair grow! It is hot and itchy under a wig, I tried it once, and couldn't stand it...

Samantha B L
12-12-2006, 11:28 PM
I'm thankful for wigs.I own 4 and they are my favorite part of my "stash" and I have an ambition that I'll have like 50 or 100 of them somehow,someday. When i was 19 and 20 years old I had hair past my shoulders which I often streaked or dyed peroxide blonde.I had hours of divine fun with it when nobody was around blowdrying it,brushing it,styling it and even curling and teasing it.I had some rollers and bobby pins and berrets.I'd make myself look like everyone form Ronnie Spector to Katherine Hepburn.I would sometimes take long walks at night done up like that.I did a "beehive" a couple of times. That was 30 years ago.In the past 20 years I've had wigs and my natural hair is shorter than shoulder length in that time.I don't mean to sound biased. You still see guys with shoulder length hair once in awhile but it stopped being a current style circa 1980 or earlier.While we're all on the subject of hair and wigs I wanted a "Betty's Beauty Parlor Set" when I was 7.They advertised those on TV when I was 7.Samantha

NatalieBliss
12-12-2006, 11:43 PM
It all depends on your hairline really.

Debb
12-13-2006, 03:34 AM
I prefer and have gone with my "real" hair now for a while.

I prefer the "look" of wigs since they offer many styles with almost none of the work .. but I never felt comfortable in a wig, and I always felt a bit "disguised".

Wendy me
12-13-2006, 04:53 AM
i had wigs before no more my hair has been growing for over 2 years now and almost half way down my back .... in the summer high pony tail keep it some what off my neck .... what a pain in the butt .... but well worth it...........

Lawren
12-13-2006, 08:41 AM
You could check with a local stylist to see if there are any unisex styles that will help hide the receding hairline.

JenniferMint
12-13-2006, 09:09 AM
My boyfriend isn't a CD, but he keeps long hair. He's been mistaken for a girl from behind, too. (No one would mistake him for a girl from the front though; he has a heavy beard.)

Depending on your circumstances, you might get away with just leaving your hair long and loose. It would be appropriate when en femme. As for when en drab, well some guys have long hair too. I suppose if you're good at passing en femme, trying to use the same hairstyle in drab might get you mistaken for a girl but you can always use your voice to assert your masculinity.

I'm growing my hair out myself and the longest part of the front is down to my nose. Just another inch or two and I can style it in something cute and femme. Not sure what it'll make me look like in male mode but I'm not really concerned about my male image so if people mistake me for a girl I don't mind :)