PDA

View Full Version : Part 2 - Outed Myself at Work

DeeInGeorgia
12-13-2006, 03:06 AM
After my interview for the Diversity Council, I went back to my work area and let my supervisor know I was back from the interview. I have been working for him for a bit over a year. We talked a bit about what the Diversity Council did and why the company needed a Diversity Council.

So then he inquired why I thought I should be on the council, and I replied that I represented a part of divesity that I thought was under represented on the council. He asked what that was and I replied I was not ready yet to tell him.

SO we come to yesterday. Performance Appraisal time. I received a "Satisfactory" performance rating. My supervisor and I talked for a bit about my performance, and at the end, I reminded him about our conversation about the Diversity Council and I told him I was ready to tell him what my particular diversity was. He said OK, and I told him about being transgendered and being a crossdresser.

He was fine with that, and said he had had some interest in transgender, in that he had watched two different TV programs on the Discovery Channel dealing with transgender, one being an episode called something like "Gender, Its Not About Sex". So we talked about transgender a little bit. It was evident his knowledge about transgender came from those TV programs and not first person experience. He was perfectly OK with it, and with me being transgender.

And no word yet if I made the Council or not.

Dee

DAVIDA
12-13-2006, 07:04 AM
I'm glad to hear that things are progressing well so far at work.
It was very nice to meet you. Keep us posted about work.
Love,DAVIDA

Joyciecd
12-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Dee, I cannot adequately express my admiration for your bravery and honesty. I have been reading this Forum for a long, long time, and cannot recall a post that surpasses yours in those areas. You deserve the very best as you go forward. They would be insane to keep you from the Council. You are precisely the kind of quality person that belongs there. The best of luck to you.

dods460
12-13-2006, 07:42 AM
It's always nice to hear that someone has made CDing more of a non issue, it's great that you have a well rounded self confidence and it's people like you that make me want to go out in full glam mode and just go shopping. well done.
I also told my boss and he was happy I felt comfortable telling him, he also made an appointment for me with his wife who works for Mary Kay, just proves you can never call someones reaction.

Adrienne Heels
12-13-2006, 08:06 AM
You are so brave to come out at work like that!!

shannonsilk
12-13-2006, 12:05 PM
good for yoou dee and dods both. very brave and it shows u never know how people will react

Kimberley
12-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Good boss.

I hope his attitude remains. Somehow I think it will.

Now we just have to hope you get on that council.

:hugs:
Kimberley

SherriePall
12-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Dee -- More importantly than the diversity council, you have come out to your boss who is, apparently, okay with your crossdressing. Good luck. And to you, too, Dods.

Calliope
12-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Dee, nice timing - very politic, I think.

The council? You'll rule it.

DeeInGeorgia
12-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I just found out I did not make the cut. I guess I will try again next year.

Dee

Calliope
12-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Rats - I'm really sorry to hear that.

Next year - if you'll have 'em!

Joyciecd
12-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Bummmmmmmmmmer and double bummmmmmmmmmer!

Debra Lynn
12-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Dee, even though you didn't make the cut this year, keep trying. It's people like you who want to do the right thing that helps make everyone's existance better!

Thora
12-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Sorry you didn't make the cut Dee. You still make us proud.

BTW. You usually don't have to be part of your companies diversity department/group to make an impact.

You GO girl!

DeeInGeorgia
12-19-2006, 06:08 PM
At the end of my interview for the Diversity Council, the going out Chairman suggested that I should get involved with the Affinity Groups. The company has had 2 people listed as heads of the Affinity and Network Group Liason Focus Area for 2 years now. One of those people happens to be my Director that my Sr. Manager reports to.

I contacted the Diversity Council asking what Affinity Groups per presently located at my work site. Follows is their reply.

"The only approved group is WAVE, a women’s affinity group. We are currently awaiting company issue of an affinity group approval process. All other groups are on hold pending issue of the company procedure."

This answer kind of gives the wrong impression of how important the company considers Diversity.

Other Divisions of the Corporation have more Affinity Groups. Where I work is only about 4 to 6 years behind other divisions.

Dee