PDA

View Full Version : A funny shopping experience

Jodi
12-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Yesterday, I went Christmas shopping at the mall where I used to work. I was in drab. After I had gotten the items I went for, I stopped into New York & Co. This is the store where I used to work. I had a coupon that gave me $30 off if I spent $75. New York & Co has started to carry shoes. I had seen some ballet flats that I liked so I picked up two pairs at $20 each. I still needed to spend $35 to get my discount. I was carefully perusing through the jewelry. I picked up a nice, long red/black beaded necklace, was looking it over when I heard a woman beside me say "that will look great on you". I turned to her with a big smile and said "really, women have told me that I should wear more red". I then said, "I had better find some matching earrings". I picked up some 3" long shoulder duster earrings that matched. Her comment was--"those are a perfect match". I thanked her continuing with a big grin. At that moment, my friend Kris, who works there, came over and put her arm around me and said--"The dude used to work here". The woman stated, "wow, a chance to get a man's opinion". Here I was carrying two pair of ballet flats and looking at jewelry, and nothing was ever said or intimated as to who I was buying for. BTW, I purchased two pairs of ballet flats, two necklaces, three pairs of earrings, and a nice ring--after the $30 discount, total $47 and change.

The whole gist of this was that I responded with a grin and a sense of humor. This completely deflected any guilt from me. I did not explain as to any reason why I was looking or for whom I might be buying.

When shopping in drab, you must always maintain a positive sense of demeanor, and be ready with a smile and a sense of humor. On one of the other threads where the girl met up with the nasty old SA at Penney's; had she responded with a sense of humor and a smile, she would have totally blown the old gal away.

I posted this to show how I handle things positively. Over the years while shopping, I have gotten many remarks like this from other customers and SA's. I always deflect them with humor and a grin. I honestly don't remember most of the incidents because they are so trivial to me.

Now get out there, smile and shop.

Jodi

RachelDenise
12-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Confidence. You got to have confidence to deflect with humor and a grin. One day........

krisinpink
12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
What a nice experience Jodi :happy:
Good for you, and thanks for sharing your happy dressing story!
Jacqui

Adrienne Heels
12-13-2006, 09:01 PM
That was definitely the best way to handle the situation. Confidence and a smile are so important.

JoAnnDallas
12-14-2006, 10:00 AM
I found the easy way to make a SA light up like a christmas tree, wave a charge card under her nose. I have been in Victoria Secrets and had cool reception from SA's until I wipped out my Angel Card and BINGO, their face lights up and they will fall over backwards to help you. I even had one SA, upon seeing my Angel Card, say "Your a man after my own heart".

If you show them that your there to BUY, you become their best friend. LOL

Kristen Kelly
12-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I found the easy way to make a SA light up like a christmas tree, wave a charge card under her nose. I have been in Victoria Secrets and had cool reception from SA's until I wipped out my Angel Card and BINGO, their face lights up and they will fall over backwards to help you. I even had one SA, upon seeing my Angel Card, say "Your a man after my own heart".

If you show them that your there to BUY, you become their best friend. LOL

That was definitely the best way to handle the situation. Confidence and a smile are so important.

A smile goes a long way, I have a few shopping stories, but the best had to be was in Macy's found 2 pair $40+ jeans for $7.99 ea. and a top for $5 took them to register and SA said "Your wife or GF will love these, what a bargin" to which I said,"She better not touch them they're mine." Heard giggles from 2 customers behind me, and got an ear to ear grin from the SA.