PDA

View Full Version : Help to tell people

Adam
12-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Right as some of you no some dont i been liveing as male for about a year full time like :D and every one uses my new name (even my folks have for last few weeks yay) but where i work 2 nights a week i been going as male and presenting as male and some of the people no my new name but most dont i am finding it hard to find a way to tell these people because there is so many custermers and ive been there over 10 years so seems everyone nows me im scared to tell them but hate the fact they use my old name ideas please !!!

pocoyo
12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Any chance you could wear a name badge?

Adam
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
i thought of that tbh but then i would get loads of questions while in trying to work plus im shy lol

Kieron Andrew
12-14-2006, 12:38 PM
told you already......christmas cards signed from adam

pocoyo
12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
i thought of that tbh but then i would get loads of questions while in trying to work plus im shy lol

Hmm... well I guess, if you've been presenting as male for a year anyway they know you're well, a man... so why not be brave and just have a quiet word and ask them if they can call you Adam? (Work colleagues I mean).

Er with customers I suppose you could do the same really. Just be polite and say something like "Actually my name's Adam" or "I have changed my name to Adam now, would you mind calling me that? Thank you."
However you do it, good luck!

CaptLex
12-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I was going to suggest the same thing Pocoyo said - he beat me to it. :heehee: I came out at work this year and some people were not informed (for some crazy reason), so whenever someone calls me by the old name, I nicely tell them I've changed my name ("I guess nobody told you . . . ") and tell them what my name is now. I don't go into any explanations, but if they ask I just say I'm going through a gender transition. And while they're letting that sink in, I walk away. :D

Good luck to you, Adam.

Marcie Sexton
12-14-2006, 01:48 PM
I would only suggest that you correct them in a nice way, then continue with the task at hand...May I offer a basket of congrats...You are so much stronger than so many other in our world...one who has chosen a course and stayed on it...I hope all continues well...

Perhaps if there were more of you in this world it would be such a better place to live...

Calliope
12-14-2006, 02:10 PM
[...]so whenever someone calls me by the old name, I nicely tell them I've changed my name ("I guess nobody told you . . . ") and tell them what my name is now.

Sounds about right, what else can ya do?

It's hard to 'revise the past' and habits die slowly; Nietzsche said we always charge a high tax to anyone who makes us change our thinking.

My editor at PSF (online rock&roll publication) still calls me Barry and, like, grrrrrrrr !!!

Adam
12-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Hmm... well I guess, if you've been presenting as male for a year anyway they know you're well, a man... so why not be brave and just have a quiet word and ask them if they can call you Adam? (Work colleagues I mean).

Er with customers I suppose you could do the same really. Just be polite and say something like "Actually my name's Adam" or "I have changed my name to Adam now, would you mind calling me that? Thank you."
However you do it, good luck!

Well thing is i told work collags in may this year they call me adam but still most of the custermers havent picked up on it :eek: i mean don't they wonder why my boss calls me adam :heehee: but just got back fro m another night and ahhhhh still i get my old name said there i so hate going it depresses me as its only there that people use it :sad:

bi_weird
12-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Yeah I bet that's depressing. But remember people are really uncomfortable about these sorts of things 'cause they just don't understand. I'd agree with the other guys to just politely ask them to call you Adam, because a lot of them probably just don't realize that they're being insulting.

Lex
12-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Pocoyo's suggestion is a good one, just have a quiet word with everyone. Plus, I think a name tag is a good idea, then the customers who don't know you will know what to call you, and for those you do know, it'd be a good starting point from which to tell them.