PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hair straightening products

Patti Remick
12-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on finding a good hairstraightening product that I could use by myself at home. I dont mean the straightening irons and such. Dont they make chemical hair straighteners/relaxers? I was hoping to find something that was not too harsh. My hair is fairly wavy and corse and would like it to be softer and straighter.

Thanks,
Patti

Beckii_aCDInOz
12-14-2006, 02:20 PM
You rang :D

Hi Patti I'm an ex hairdresser of 16 years so I'll give you some tips & some alternatives to think about.

I'd personally avoid using any type of chemical straightening product. For one unless you know what your doing, you run this risk of burning your hair (turns to jello) or worse burning your scalp.

What I used to use was a combination of perm solution, plain flour and thick cardboard strips. Though trying to do this process yourself would be a nightmare. Cut cardboard strips to the length of your hair (about 15 strips -depending on thickness of hair), section out 1/4 to 1/2 inch sections of hair, place cardboard under hair section and paint with perm/flour mixture. Repeat till all hair is done. (mixture should be consistency cake batter).

Put on timer and wait 15 - 20 min, slowly rinse mixture from hair (be gentle with hair as perm solution has made it soft), rinse for @ least 4 - 5 min with warm water. Pat hair dry with towel (DO NOT REMOVE CARDBOARD)

Open perm neutraliser and cover all hair, wait 5 min and then slowly remove cardboard. Rinse with warm water and apply conditioner (Gently) rinse again.

CAUTION You new hair takes a good 24 - 48 hours to set properly. So to keep your straight hair longer avoid swimming in a pool, washing your hair vigorously or anything else that may stress your hair for the first 24 - 48 hours.

The other alternative (though wont give totally straight hair) is to perm you hair on really huge rods or even use BIG hair rollers.

Doing this you will still have a slight wave in your hair, but, you could then blow dry it straight with a round brush.

If however your pretty insistent on having straight hair, I'd get a qualified hairdresser to perform the service. There is too many things that could go wrong, much worse you could wind up giving yourself a chemical hair cut.

hugs

x

beckii