PDA

View Full Version : The Shrink

marie354
12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
I see a professional every few months for my depression and am in a weekly combo group (I'm the one with the bright happy attitude or outlook on things and vocal to the point that everyone cannot understand just where I come from). The counseler(s) love it and say I bring a good light to some situations. But, my real question, How should I bring this aspect to light to my doctor to be able to be honest & open about it. Now I don't mean to the group councelor or the other people there, they have enough problems that seem a lot worse than mine. Should I just, say ask about my gay brother and work it into the conversion or just say it right out. Are psychyatrists,(did I spell that right?) better now about understanding?

carla smith
12-14-2006, 09:56 PM
You are now in a combo group and you are seeing another doctor for depression, right?

I think you should be honest with your psychiatrist! What they do is listen to you. Your doctor could care less about your gay brother and will probably wait patiently while gradually steering you back to you and what you think.

Don't be surprised when you tell him and he says, "Good, I’ve been waiting for this, tell me about it" He will probably get you into a group of us!

Have fun out there!

Wenda
12-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Check out the Depression discussion group on the forum. There is a connection. (Not that it is negative) Don't bother with the gay brother thing. As Carla said, if the doctor's reaction is accepting, tell him/her the facts. If the Dr seems judgemental, get the hell out of there and find a new counsellor. I believe that there is a bio-chemical relationship between some types of depression and dressing. I would really like to see/participate in clinicly controlled trials exploring the relationships. My advice, if any professional begins to advise you that you can 'overcome' this urge or 'deal with it", those are certain signs that they do not understand what we are experiencing. Time to find someone who does. All the best. W.

Penny
12-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Check out the Depression discussion group on the forum. There is a connection. (Not that it is negative) Don't bother with the gay brother thing. As Carla said, if the doctor's reaction is accepting, tell him/her the facts. If the Dr seems judgemental, get the hell out of there and find a new counsellor. I believe that there is a bio-chemical relationship between some types of depression and dressing. I would really like to see/participate in clinicly controlled trials exploring the relationships. My advice, if any professional begins to advise you that you can 'overcome' this urge or 'deal with it", those are certain signs that they do not understand what we are experiencing. Time to find someone who does. All the best. W.

:iagree:

:hugs: :

Penny

Joy Carter
12-15-2006, 05:24 AM
Oh Hun he will write it down in your medical records so every medical professional will know. I've been there on that one. I so know how important it is to get every thing out but this is up to you.

Bethanygirl
12-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Your depression cannot be treated by any professional unless he knows about your transgenderism. Period! If you do not wish to reveal yourself to him/her, then quit going, you are wasting money! I hope you find a personal therapist that you are comfortable enough to be completely open and honest with, or a group that is suitable enough for you to do the same with. Repeat; you MUST be completely open and honest with any mental health professional in order for them to treat you effectively!

Good luck dear! :hugs:

tekla west
12-15-2006, 06:14 PM
"you MUST be completely open and honest with any mental health professional in order for them to treat you effectively!"

While I belived that this is true, I asked a friend of mine who is an MD+PhD and runs her own clinical practice. Her take is not only is this a complete waste of time and money for the person going, its also a waste of the doctor's and groups time and effort. She was very specific that this is no doubt hurting the group and not helping it. It also explains why in a depression group you are the one with "bright happy attitude" which would seem to argue against the first.

If you can't tell the truth either you need a new person, or you are not ready to face the reality that must be faced before you get any real help.

Moreover any doctor will see right throught that "well a friend of mine" deal in a New York second (which is pretty darn fast).

DonnaT
12-15-2006, 06:46 PM
If the depression has anything to do with CDing or being trans, then you must be honest with your doc. How else will he be able to treat it properly.

If the depression is for any other reason, like a chemical imbalance or some mental issue, then I don't see a need to talk about CDing or being trans.

CarmenG
12-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I've always thought, that the people are a make up of who you are. Y ou are a combination of everyone that surrounds you,ie; if you hang around a bunch of dorks, then you become a dork. and so on and so on.
Being depressed is not always a bad thing. I find my most pensive moments are when I am depressed Depression is an excuse for feeling bad. We tend to treat the symptoms and not the cause......
Being who you are does not describe a depressive person.
HANG TOUGH BABE....:bighug: