PDA

View Full Version : Work Issues

cdeeko
12-15-2006, 11:47 PM
I work at a goodwill thriftstore. And all though I would have no trouble shopping at other Godwill or ant thrift stores I am hesitant to buy girly stuff where I work.
For example a cute pink winter hat that said Angel and a red one that said Hottie came on the salesfloor today and were there when I left. But I could not bring myself to buy them. Because even if mostly in DRAB I might wear them. Could always say they were a gift if I wore in to work. BUT not if I was seen buying them there. AND they were to pretty to force myself not to wear WHENEVER I wanted even to work. SO I just did not buy. BUT this may be worse then just wearing if I wanted.
Am I being silly?

Calliope
12-15-2006, 11:51 PM
I thought Goodwills had a policy prohibiting employees buying from the store where they work. Back in Northampton MA a decade ago, lots of employees scopped up all the goodies, some of them sold the better pieces to vintage shoppes and I was glad to hear that jazz was quashed.

cdeeko
12-16-2006, 12:05 AM
I thought Goodwills had a policy prohibiting employees buying from the store where they work. Back in Northampton MA a decade ago, lots of employees scopped up all the goodies, some of them sold the better pieces to vintage shoppes and I was glad to hear that jazz was quashed.

In ohio we are not allowed to shop while on the clock or while on lunch. But if the store is open we can shop before or after our shift.
But they cannot blindfold us. we will see stuff when we stock stuff.
And hope it is still there when we leave. However hiding stuff is a firing offense. You can only buy stuff if it is allready on salesfloor.
We cannot even shop off racks that we wheel clothes out on. Only off of salesracks
Probably related to what you mentioned.
And IF we shop at any local store we have to fill out a form in a notebook and sign two reciepts.
Almost easier NOT to shop there.:devil:

Calliope
12-16-2006, 12:32 AM
OK - and I do know the anguish of seeing something great and passing it by.

Shucks.

Ah, screw it - if it's still there, buy it tomorrow.

cdeeko
12-16-2006, 12:36 AM
At least what with the frigging holidays I can claim it is a gift for one of my female friends...at least til I wear it.:heehee:

Bethanygirl
12-16-2006, 02:01 AM
What do you care what anyone thinks about your purchases, if it is something you want, and you think it is a good deal, buy it! If someone asks, just tell them it was too good a deal to pass up-just about anyone can understand that philosophy!

rosiegurl
12-16-2006, 02:25 PM
used to be a manager for a goodwill store in KC, there aren't any overall guidlines set up for the goodwill group as a whole, as about the only thing that is nationwide is the name, the rest are local chapters with their own rules, regulations and policies. When I started they were cracking down on emplyee's keeping donations in the back room to buy later. In my own store I instituted a policy of before or after work, but the item had to have been on the sales floor for at least an hour, no nipping out to drop it on a shelf then buying it *grins*

still happened though *laughs*

I think it's just one of the perks for working there. everyjob has it's perks.

personally I would of bought them, and said they were a gift if asked, then worn them anyway *grins*

cdeeko
12-16-2006, 04:36 PM
personally I would of bought them, and said they were a gift if asked, then worn them anyway *grins*

Gonna do that if they are still there when I go back monday. Off this weekend.:D

But I did buy and start wearing a pink Elmo hat today when at Salvation Army Thrif store.:heehee:

Butterfly Bill
12-16-2006, 04:40 PM
I can see how being a crossdresser working in a thrift store could be like being an alcoholic working in a bar.

Teresa Amina
12-16-2006, 07:23 PM
You need an ally who you can call to come in and get them for you. Shopped in a Goodwill yesterday and saw some real ugly things that will never sell; you could hide good stuff inside till needed:devil: , but really it should be a job perk to get the choice stuff. They can't be paying you much to begin with, what's the hurt?

Amy Hepker
12-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Yes