PDA

View Full Version : Notes on make up

Roxie_31
01-18-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi all!
I've been reading many threads on varying make-up related topics here lately. No doubt many here (even me) have questions or concerns regarding make up. I just thought I'd throw my two cents in. Recently, I decided to study esthetics and make up artistry, mostly for my own benefit, but also as a possible career change in the future. I certainly dont claim to know everything, but just some things I've learned which I thought I would share.(Isn't that what this forum's for?)

If you're going to buy makeup, buy the best you can afford. cheaper stuff wont give you good results, wont last as long, and may even be harmful. I prefer MAC and Artistry cosmetics(which are a splurge for me), but I have good success with most national brands

DO NOT buy USED make up! Unless you know the person really well, you cant confirm the quality, and even worse, you could inherit a nasty skin condition/disease. Use your wife's, or buy your own, but never buy used!!!

Make up expires! If it looks or smells funny, or is more than a few months old, replace it! Eye infections are not worth the price of new mascara.
Powders generally last much longer, however some colors may lose stregnth.

I like to research my products before I try/buy. Some pruducts contain things which may not be the best for your skin. Think about your skin type, and try to select things that are beneficial. Take care of your skin girls. You have to live with it!

If I think of more, I'll post it here. Any other advice or suggestions are welcome

love ya,
Roxie

Fallen Angel
01-18-2005, 07:52 PM
i agee unfortionaly many of us have to shave and that leaves your pores open hypo sensitive is a good start i never use anything thats been worn by another i dont even use my room mates eye liners or lipsticks how i started to learn was trial and error theres nothing worst than to get rashes or even an infection by buying some thing cheap i know by the time you shop for items it adds up 7.00 eye liner good foundation 30.00 and so fourth set a buget by a little at a time its well spent and the results are fantastic

Sharon
01-18-2005, 08:00 PM
DO NOT buy USED make up! Unless you know the person really well, you cant confirm the quality, and even worse, you could inherit a nasty skin condition/disease. Use your wife's, or buy your own, but never buy used!!!

Used make-up!? :eek: I would just as soon buy used undergarments!

Roxie_31
01-18-2005, 08:03 PM

Icky! But yes, I've seen make up for sale on ebay and others! Double icky on the undies!

Tristen Cox
01-18-2005, 08:49 PM

Sharon? can I have those back then please?

Roxie_31
01-18-2005, 11:01 PM
Well, obviously, this thread turned into a big joke. So sorry I posted it! Was just tryin ta help. I guess no one wants my objectives, nor my free advice. I shall keep them to myself. So sorry...

Steffie
01-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Don't be like that roxie, some of us have taken your advice....
I have been buying good stuff for awjile now the same as you over time have built up a make up case that would be quite expensive to buy all at once. It's good to know I'm on the right track, thank you....

I have the right concealer, foundation now and over the next few months plan to buy some good quality eye make up particully eye shadow ete as I have already got my mascara and now just need to get the last part right.

Good luck with your study as I find the whole subject interesting and please please let me know of any other helpful hints you find along the way.

Steffie xxxx

P.S. having trouble with pores on the nose and all the study I have seen hasn't helped so far.... so if you have any further knowledge I would love for you to share it with us.