PDA

View Full Version : Went to a "straight" Restaurant dressed

Shannon CD
12-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey all,

I went to visit a friend in Palm Springs yesterday. I knew going down there that we would probably go out somewhere with me dressed, but I figured it would just be the local LGBT club. Not this time...:D .

After spending the afternoon looking through shops in drab, we wentr back to her place where I showered, shaved, and dressed. She said she was hungry and we decided to go to a small Mexican restaurant. I was nervous, but not as much as normal. When we got there I noticed through the window that there were more men than women, which made me uncomfortable, and just about decided to suggest we find someplace else. That's when I noticed the tables on the patio were all open and they had heaters on. We asked if we could be served outside and took a table under a heater. During the course of the dinner none of the staff acted as though I were out of place. Customers came and went without giving me a second look. (Actually 1 guy came up and asked if I had an extra cigarette. I gave him one and he left without any comment.)

We sat and ate and chatted for quite some time. It was very nice. I will probably be more inclined to go inside the next time.

Calliope
12-17-2006, 01:22 PM
During the course of the dinner none of the staff acted as though I were out of place. Customers came and went without giving me a second look.

Just goes to show most people are just living their lives. Workers, of course, are just working. So - the food was good?

Gee, Palm Springs - Sonny ('Laugh At Me') Bono used to be its mayor. Cool.

Holly
12-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Shannon, glad you had a good time. Been to PS many times. I live less than an hour away from there. Unless you live east of Palm Springs, you were probably less than 10 miles from my house at some point in your trip there. Did that restaurant happen to be on Palm Canyon Boulevard?

tekla west
12-17-2006, 01:34 PM
It might have been a "straight" place, but Palm Springs is the gay vacation destination of choice in SF. Its also very, very rich. Not to say that there are one set of rules for rich people and another set for poor working slobs, nah.

Shannon CD
12-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Shannon, glad you had a good time. Been to PS many times. I live less than an hour away from there. Unless you live east of Palm Springs, you were probably less than 10 miles from my house at some point in your trip there. Did that restaurant happen to be on Palm Canyon Boulevard?

As a matter of fact it was. I think it was called "Marisol's" or something like that. It's on the south end, after the blevd changes back to a 2 way street.

I probably did pass you at some point. I took the 15 to the 215 to the 10, if that helps.

I wasn't hungry myself, so I just had a diet coke. I've eaten there before in male mode and the food is very good.

Eugenie
12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
That must be a great experience. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with us. These stories are very important to us and make us fee a bit like you. They certainly help us seeing the "outside world" more positively.

I hope that I will have the thrill and the pleasure to do the same in the near future.

A CD friend of mine has invited me to a restaurant for the next time I'll visit her in Brussels. That will probably be at the begining of 2007. She even offered to dress herself in drab to make me feel more comfortable : the two of us would look more like an ordinary couple while going to the restaurant than two CDs would. I admit that his kind offer makes me feel more secure...

Il' share with you all here. I feel it is a must since I enjoy so much reading your stories. They have given me the strength to go out.

:hugs:
Eugenie

Glenda58
12-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Having gone to a normal place you will find that most people don't care. That's all I go to now even by myself. Have always been treated like a lady by the wait staff and others people there. So Shannon just go and be yourself even with 2 gurls.

Bobby
12-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Next time you are in Palm Springs go to the restaurant named "Shame on the Moon". It is gay / CD friendly and the food and service are exceptional. Best Bannna Nepolitian I have ever eaten in my life is available there every evening. Bobby

Karren H
12-17-2006, 02:17 PM
They have gay resturants somewhere?? lol

Karren

Amy Hepker
12-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I am glad to hear your friend let you get dressed up and went out with you. This is a dream of my to be able to go out again. It has been many years and I had so much fun doing it before, that the memories are still there. Did your friend help you get dressed or help with your makeup or hair.

Shannon CD
12-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Did your friend help you get dressed or help with your makeup or hair.

The only thing she did was to make sure that a couple of items that I had in the wash were put in the dryer and get them for me when they were done. Other than that I always dress myself and most of my GG friends don't wear much make-up, so I have probably got more experience doing this kind than they do.

Joyciecd
12-17-2006, 03:09 PM
I love having a guy take me out to eat. It is also a great feeling to meet him there after he is seated and I breeze in, find the table, peck on the cheek, then settle in for the meal. A nice dinner followed by a movie then relaxing at his place later with a glass of wine and in leisure lingerie, i.e. silk big leg PJ's, ah, it doesn't get any better than that!

suzy
12-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Shannon,

That sounds marvelous!

I bet you ahd the time of your life. Goes to show you that most people are not looking to "make us" at every corner! I can just imagine how exciting it must have been. Great story! Thanks!:hugs:

Jodi
12-17-2006, 07:59 PM

Karren

Yea Karren they do, but you have to get out of the Burg, West Virginia, and Utah to find them.

Jodi

Rachel Morley
12-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi Shannon,

It's great news that you reached a milestone and when out in public, en femme, to a "regular restaurant". I know that perhaps it might not seem a big to deal to some but it sure was a big deal for me when I first did it. Nowadays, my wife and I regularly go out to regular restaurants in Sacramento with me en femme and so far I've never had a problem. People always treat me as the gender I present. Thanks for sharing, it's good to hear success stories like this one.

Kieron Andrew
12-17-2006, 08:46 PM

Karren
i was thinking the same

Kimkandy
12-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Sounds good... I also went out en femme today to a restaurant...

McDonalds, I had a :troll: quarter pounder with cheese meal... not sure if I really passed...

I was out shopping and bought a couple of dresses and some black suede boots... then I went to see :devil: Eragon the sword and sorcery movie.

Kim

:dom: :violin: :violin: :violin:

Helen in OK
12-17-2006, 10:06 PM
It is amazing just how much fun going to a "regular" restaurant can be. Last weekend, I had the opportunity to do just that when my TriEss chapter had it's December meeting. We went to a high end restaurant which is located in an old converted dorm on the University of Arkansas campus. We were a party of 8, with 3 GG's. We were all treated with dignity and respect, our waiter never made a miscue by using the wrong pronoun.

Our party was the only one there in skirts or dresses, all other GG's wore pants.

After we paid we all went to visit the Ladies room, where I reapplied my lipstick.

We then went into the lounge for an after dinner drink, where we had to go to the bar to order. When I got to the bar the bartender left for a moment, and as I waited I did feel a little uncomfortable, as I felt like a lot of people were looking at me, but I never heard any comments.

I would do this again in a heart beat. And, it never hurts to be in a group for the first couple of times, for moral support.

Helen in OK

susan lewis
12-19-2006, 12:27 PM
I have only been out several times while dressed and have had no problems. It was fun ordering girl food like salad and white wine.

Sam-antha
12-19-2006, 12:42 PM
But, did you enjoy the food as well as the company ? }:)
~Samm