PDA

View Full Version : Moving...

GraceUSA
01-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Its time for me to move again but I have a slight problem this time around... too many clothes to hide from my friends that are going to be helping me out. Got so comfortable just hanging clothes as they should in the closet that they expanded to about a third of my wardrobe.

The expensive route is to buy storage containers and put the clothes in but since I'm lacking a job (and extra cash) that is out. Easy route is to tell my friends but I'm not ready to open up that side of me to them yet. I'll probably move the vast majority of my clothes a day or so before but I'm not garentied that my new closet will stay closed. Any ideas will help.

One the same note, I'm going to have to tell my new roommate (which is also my younger brother) about my choice in clothes. Any prayers would be appriated on making this go smoothly.

Grace

T-girlMichelle
01-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Take all your clothes, fold them nice and neat, put them in brown paper grocery sacks or cardboard boxes and tape them up. Then move them the day before and put them in the closet or somewhere out of the way. I've had to move on the cheap a few times and it works. Oh yeh dont leave them to long folded or you'll have a lot of ironing to do.

Rikki
01-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Do like Michelle says, box the up and move the day before and store them untill you can unpack safely. About telling your room mate, good luck.

Rikki

GraceUSA
01-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the tip, will do that.

DanaJ
01-19-2005, 02:58 PM
...or just put your girlie clothes on the bottom of a box or bag, and put your guy clothes on top :)

DanaJ

DonnaT
01-19-2005, 03:46 PM
You could also drape a trash bag over them while still on the hanger (hole in the center bottom of bag for hangers), and tie the bag closed at the bottom. A home made clothes bag.

Holly
01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Or just wear 'em. Wear them all!:)

racheal
01-20-2005, 09:52 PM
I remember I had some friends move me to my new place here a couple of years ago. They were very good - never looked in any boxes, of course, those special 'taped (uh oh there's that tape again) boxes' I had marked bedroom and that was all. I had I think about nine boxes for the 'bedroom' and seven of them were heavily filled. :)

Wendy me
01-20-2005, 09:53 PM
grace girlfreind frist of all what size are you??????????oh thats good ..........now pack up all those girly things...............ok packed????????good ....................now...........
send them to me...........that was easy...........no buds to find out...........thats ok
no need to thank me.....................

Wenda
01-21-2005, 12:13 AM
For tops, shorts, lingerie, etc, fold, box, tape, as the others have said. For full lenght items, dresses,etc, you can get cardboard 'wardrobes' with bars to hang your longer clothes on. Most have 'handle' openings on the sides that you use to pick them up. You can leave your stuff in them for months. exeperience. wenda. ps, good luck. I HATE moving!. w.

GraceUSA
01-21-2005, 12:51 AM
grace girlfreind frist of all what size are you??????????oh thats good ..........now pack up all those girly things...............ok packed????????good ....................now...........
send them to me...........that was easy...........no buds to find out...........thats ok
no need to thank me.....................

thanks Wendy for the smile. And on second thought maybe it might not be best to employee your storage services, I have a feeling most of my things would be "misplaced".

Getting to the point of having most of my items I don't use on a daily basis packed and I'm cleaning out the rest of my bed room and bath to make sure I don't pack any trash when moving day comes. I have some luggage that will fit most of the items in my drawers and I think I'll use the suggestion of trash bags as garmment bags that Donna suggested. Just do all my hanging clothes that way so none stands out.

I still need to find a time to tell my brother. Been wanting to this week but his work been busy and I'm been busy driving all over the place with interviews, working on friends machines or helping family out with projects. Need to talk to him sometime next week but I'm not sure when I'll have the chance. Maybe I should get coffee one night with him to work out details on the place and talk to him about my choice in clothes.

Grace

Janet K.
01-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Another tip for moving----most grocery stores will save boxes for you if you ask them to---go during the early evening before the night stockers come in and ask the manager on duty if they could ask the night manager to save some large boxes (like the ones that toilet tissue & paper towels come in) and you will come by later that night to pick them up. Most of the time they will be very helpful and have the boxes ready for you when you show up. Just a little tip from a former graveyard shift grocery store cashier.

Wendy me
01-24-2005, 10:19 AM
grace sounds like you got things in order.................the offer is still open ............

LaceyNicole
06-16-2005, 09:44 AM
are you moving in the same city, or to another city, if it is to another city and you need a moving truck Uhaul offers one month of free storage at either end, with a oneway rental, so that might be an option.

Sigrid
06-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Take all your clothes, fold them nice and neat, put them in brown paper grocery sacks or cardboard boxes and tape them up.
What Michelle said... simple enough.

Just remember to mark the boxes on the outside with big black marking pen; bras & panties, frilly dresses, fancy gowns, pumps and cute sandels, pvc and rubber... so you can get the clothes you realy want soon after your settled without having to open up all the boxes.

~Sigrid

Sharon
06-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Take note of the original post -- it was made in January. The move has assumedly been completed by now.