PDA

View Full Version : Trusting makeup instincts

sandra-leigh
12-17-2006, 02:57 PM
I had my makeup done professionally yesterday in preparation for the masquerade xmas dinner (qv). I guess I had been thinking of something more glamourous or sexy, but once out of the harsh lights of the makeup area, in context with my dress and wig, it looked fine.

When I was asked about lipstick colour, I expressed distrust of the really red. I have found in the past that really prominent reds don't feel right to me. They feel too... I don't quite know. Artificial, or out of place, or not appropriate for me. When I wear a prominent red lipstick, I feel like I'm "playing dress-up", and I feel self-conscious, and feel uncomfortable, like I'm going to attract a lot of stares and snickers "Look at the guy dressed up as an exaggeration of a woman!". But for a lesser brilliant red lipstick, I don't worry about such things -- only about whether it has worn off ;-)

Anyhow, the makeup artists quickly agreed that a brighter red would not look right on me -- too much of a contrast to my fair skin.

What they tried, and what looked quite good on me, was a red-tinged brown, reminiscent of a darker bronze.

This colour outcome was interesting to me because by myself, it has been the mocha and bronze (and even gold) that I have been experimenting with and wearing outside -- but without knowing whether those colours looked right for me. And when I was choosing eyeshadow afterwards, to take away with me, one of the colours they suggested was a gold -- an eyeshadow colour that I've chosen myself several times.

What I learned from this is that I should not be afraid to experiment with less-common colours that "feel right to me". I am not very good yet at picking out what will look "great" on me, and I'm even worse at applying it in interesting ways, but it seems that I do have enough instinct to know that a bit non-traditional might turn out to be what is right for me.

Karren H
12-17-2006, 03:00 PM
cool!! I love to experiment sooo much that every time I dress it's an experiment.... hehe Keeps L'oreal stock pumped up I'm sure of that!! :)

Love Karren

Kate Simmons
12-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Once you get the "basics" down with makeup, it's a lot of fun to experiment like Karren said. It's only limited by your imagination really.:happy: EKR

melissaK
12-17-2006, 03:34 PM
"And her face is like a sail,
Speck of white so fair and pale,
Have you seen the lady fairer"

From her photos it seems Karen's already earned her BA in make-up, and she's clearly excelling in her MS degree program . . . . much to L'oreal's delight. :heehee:

Tess-leigh, you say your fair skinned - as in red haired fair? I'm a red head and I always had trouble with finding "comfortable" colors. Red does require a certain "Marilyn Monroe" attitude to back it up!

My wife liked my lipstick in bronzy colors, she said they made my eyes look green (they are light brown and change a lot depending upon light and clothing colors) and they were comfortable subdued colors. Still I favored lighter purple or pink overtones more. . . . Then too the whims of Madison Avenue fashion change throughout my life have made sure the notion of looking good remains elusive . . . which fuels my anti-establishment streak that makes me prefer the "no make-up at all, natural look." (Sometimes I'm just an old hippie chick at heart, but not all the time.)

Calliope
12-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Funny, I got so conservative. Once I had a pail of eyeshadow colors, lipsticks galore and who-knows-what-else? Ultimately, it's down to one lipstick shade and two eyeshadows. Compared to my neighbors, soccar moms, I'm still flashier - so, no, until I'm hitting the dance floor again, I better stay put.

sandra-leigh
12-17-2006, 04:07 PM
Tess-leigh, you say your fair skinned - as in red haired fair?

No, no hint of red in my hair. My hair colour is "dirty blonde", varying between about a brown #15 (winter) and an ash #19 (if I've been out in the summer sun). I went for a #12 (brown) for my wig; #10 is about the darkest I could go and still have it look "plausible" against my skin.

Because my hair colour naturally varies by such a range, I am relatively restricted in what I can wear as a wig and have it be plausible and yet not look like my normal hair; that is, I want my wig colour to be different enough that people do not see the general outline of my face and see the tint of my hair and immediately mentally pattern match to it being drab-me. I might be able to get away with a hint of red, but my skin is not the "Irish white" to support a noticable red.

melissaK
12-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, tess-leigh, Blonds do have more fun . . . and most blondes can stay out in the sun more than us red heads too!

And as for shifting colors, my wife corrects me - says I am living in the past on the red-hair - its faded from bright copper to a tarnished bonze, with plenty of plain old white at the temples, and the hairline is giving the global warming retreating glaciers a run for their money. :heehee: