PDA

View Full Version : Got Driver's License changed.

durden
12-18-2006, 12:41 AM
So a few weeks ago I sent in some papers to the state's main licensing place to have some info on my driver's license changed. I have an androgynous first name, but I'm not so lucky w/my middle. So I wanted to have it changed to the first letter. I also wanted to have the F switched to the M. I filled out all of the correction papers & even attached a letter from my therapist [that I got when I first started seeing her] talking about the process I'm going through. Long story short, I got the papers back a few days ago telling me that they couldn't process my request. That they wouldn't switch my gender unless I attached paperwork from a doctor showing I had surgery, or that I had some sort of legal documentation.

I was feeling pretty awful at that point, because it seemed like I'd never get it done. So I then came up w/the idea to just walk into a DMV and ask them to switch it. I also needed a new photo taken, since the license I have shows a feminine picture from 3.5 years ago.

So I walked in and spoke w/some dude at the desk. As soon as I approached him he's like "Hey buddy, what can I do for ya?" I told him that I wanted some info on my license changed. Basically, talked about the middle name thing being shortened. Then I showed him the pic on the license and said I needed something else changed. He's like "Oh yeah. It definitely looks like you need something changed. We'll go ahead and get that all squared away for you."

The dude was so cool about it. At one point he turned his computer monitor around so it was facing me and asked what all I wanted changed. So yeah, I got the middle name down to just the first letter and had the F stripped & replaced w/the M. He was even asking me if I got taller or anything... basically he wanted everything to be right for me.

I don't think that the experience could have been any better for me. To get someone that was so understanding & not make a big deal about it. He didn't even want any paperwork from me. He just looked at me & got it. I can't even tell you how happy I am to have a new picture & an M. It's very relieving.

I was able to go out that night & give the bartender my license & not have any problems. :D

What about the rest of you? Anyone else get their license switched? How was your experience?

bi_weird
12-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Yay for you! Congrats on that, and that's awesome that the clerk was so cool. It's always nice to meet those random people who are just cool with the whole idea.

AmyCarter
12-18-2006, 01:36 AM
It's worth a trip up to pittsburg and a change of address temporarily just for that. I'm going to try next june locally but i'll keep that in mind.

Abraxas
12-18-2006, 04:06 AM
Very awesome! I haven't gotten my licence changed yet, no, but I was thinking about doing it in July, since it expires then anyway. I hope I get the same luck you did!
:thumbsup:

RachelDenise
12-18-2006, 05:45 AM
Very cool. I hate going to the DMV but your experience sounds great!

Adam
12-18-2006, 06:12 AM
yay thats well cool glad he was nice and it got done.

i got my license change via post i did not attach any sort of letter at all i just sent in the form and my say Dec (thats a name change document) and i got sent back my new license in my new name.

there is no M/F on the UK licenses because the gender marker is hidden in the code every license has its own code i am thinking they probably didn't change my code but in a few years i will get the photo changed so i Will do that at the same time :D

CaptLex
12-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Congrats, Durden, that's awesome! It's crazy how the good or bad luck we have with these things usually depends on who we happen to get. Somebody else in that office may not have been so understanding. I'm glad you got a cool guy to take care of it. Also, walking into the DMV was obviously the right idea as he saw immediately that you needed that changed. Someone who doesn't see you, just your application may not have the same reaction. I hope to have mine changed at some point, but I know it won't be soon. Congrats again! :cheers:

pocoyo
12-18-2006, 07:23 AM
Aww Durden, that's so cool!
Well done, I'm so pleased for you :D :thumbsup:

durden
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Congrats, Durden, that's awesome! It's crazy how the good or bad luck we have with these things usually depends on who we happen to get. Somebody else in that office may not have been so understanding. I'm glad you got a cool guy to take care of it. Also, walking into the DMV was obviously the right idea as he saw immediately that you needed that changed. Someone who doesn't see you, just your application may not have the same reaction. I hope to have mine changed at some point, but I know it won't be soon. Congrats again! :cheers:

You're right, Cap. As lucky as I was to have it changed, I could have been equally unlucky. It sucks that most of the things we have to do [documents changed, doctor visits, restroom experiences during early transition months, etc.] are all based on how well someone else will take/interact with us. If society just opened their minds a bit, things could be easier for everyone.

Next on my list is my social security card & my insurance. We'll see how those ones go. My birth certificate will be a huge challenge, because PA won't let you change it unless you've had both bottom & top surgery.

Evert
12-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Congrats!! :D

Nice to know there are still nice people in the world... :D

Taylor105
02-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Late reply but playing catch up. I am so happy for you that you got the change on your license. I totally relate. I need to get a new license like yesterday. lol You all have seen my pic. Well, my license is several years old and in the pic I have all one length long naturally culy hair down below the shoulderblades. I also weighed 130 versus my 90 pounds today. And the real topper is that in the pic I have violet contact lenses in. haha So as you can see by my avatar I look absolutely nothing like that pic. I get carded continually for alcohol because I look like a kid and I actually had one lady tell me she wouldn't sell to me. I was like throwing a fit that she had to sell it to me and if she thought that was not me I would stand there while she called in the police to verify it. I think she realized I was telling the truth because what kid would stand there and say call the cops if you don't believe me? So I am sick of the hassle and the two or three glances back and forth from the license to me. We are planning on moving to a new state soon so I will wait until I move but yeah....I need to change mine too.

CaptLex
02-18-2007, 01:08 PM
I'll have to try and change my driver's license when it expires in two years. It would be nice if they could just let me change the "F" to an "M" without a hassle, but since I'm not doing a legal name change, I expect some moron at the DMV is going to shoo me away. We'll see . . .

I also need to re-new my passport which already expired, but I'm dreading a hassle there too. :rolleyes: Meanwhile, I can't leave the country . . .

ZenFrost
02-18-2007, 11:29 PM
I've been thinking about changing both my name and my license. The only problem is that my mother can't stand the name I want and she complains about it all the time. I've always heard that it was just easier to walk in and do it there instead of by mail. I'm a little iffy about it where I live though because TG/TS people aren't taken to too well here, and I think if I asked someone to change it they would say no.