PDA

View Full Version : fancy dance

lowlavalentine
12-20-2006, 12:44 AM
A few years back I had the pleasure to attend a Pow-Wow in northern Ontario. One of the best events was the Fancy Dance. These guys were not only artistic, but superbly conditioned, and their dances were amazing. Their costumes were equally amazing; very elaborate replete with feathers, beads, leather and fur. In Indian culture these outfits were considered fully male, but by crossdressing standards they came across as quite dragish.

Why is it that I am so drawn to outfits that have such little utility? In boy mode I'm not the clothes horse that my eldest metrosexual son is, but I can hold my own with my male counterparts. When it comes to my female wardrobe though, all bets are off. In my younger days I was more into lingerie and the Fredericks of Hollywood style (are they still in business?). I no longer have the inclination or the body to do those sorts of garments justice. Lately I've been attracted to dressier outfits - although I'm not opposed to a short skirt to add spice.

There was something very sensual about the Fancy Dancers - drums, singing, smooth tanned skin, costumes with beads and feathers - an odd combination for men. For crossdressers our reality is somewhat parallel; techno beat, smooth skin and costumes with lace - an odd combination for men. Similar beat, different fancy dance.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1020887/spot11sm.jpg

Angie G
12-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Lowla in your younger days is that a new pic you look fabulous hun go for the sexy stuff :hugs:
Angie

Marla S
12-20-2006, 01:49 AM
A few years back I had the pleasure to attend a Pow-Wow in northern Ontario. One of the best events was the Fancy Dance. These guys were not only artistic, but superbly conditioned, and their dances were amazing. Their costumes were equally amazing; very elaborate replete with feathers, beads, leather and fur. In Indian culture these outfits were considered fully male, but by crossdressing standards they came across as quite dragish.

Why is it that I am so drawn to outfits that have such little utility? In boy mode I'm not the clothes horse that my eldest metrosexual son is, but I can hold my own with my male counterparts. When it comes to my female wardrobe though, all bets are off.
Clothes have different meanings, which are culture dependent.
In the western culture we have nothing that is comparable to the meaning of the costumes of the Fancy dancers (or Indian culture). To relate this to crossdressing or not, just doesn't make any sense.
Clothes in women's culture have a different meaning than in the men's culture, even for the metrosexuals (don't like that word).
So switching between the modes means switching between cultures. I don't find it surprising that one has different styles or focuses within the different cultures, because different cultures focus on different things

Yeah, and you look great (envious)