PDA

View Full Version : Never let a chance go

Phyliss
12-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Under the heading of NEVER let a chance go by:

On the way home today my phone rings. My wife with a "honey do" thing.
"When you get in the garage please get the sack on the floor behind the driver seat and bring it up with you."
"What's in it?"
"I went to the liquor store today and got some stuff for Christmas."
"What'd you get?"
"Some Kaluah and three bottles of Baileys"
"Why three?"
"They had the regular one and a caramel and a mint"
Side note here. In case anybody doesn't remember my having said so, I don't drink anymore. (Used to suck it down hard and finally got smart 28 yrs ago, one day at a time)
"Oh, that's nice. Do you trust me to bring it up?"
"I trust you"
"Are you sure you trust me?"
"I trust you"
"You're not worried I'll guzzel it all down by the time I get indoors? Except for the mint, BleacK phooey"
"I trust you"
"Thank you, It took a long time to gain your trust in that regard. I'll just have to gain the same kind of trust in "other" aspects of my life."
"Yes.........it'll take some time."
"That's all I'm asking for now. Just trust me to be careful about this"
"O.K."
"Thank you, bye , bye, love you."

Something I know. When given a chance to present your side of the story, take it. Sometimes even the most simple conversation can lead to bigger things.
The short phone call is a perfect example. I've been able to "prove myself" when it comes to NOT drinking, now I have to "prove myself" when it comes to CDing. Just little things, I know, but almost everything starts out little.

marie354
12-20-2006, 07:43 PM
I can understand. I've been trying to quit cigarettes this week. It really doesn't look very feminin. Besides most places don't allow it anymore either and maybe I'll live longer! There are always the plusses to keep us going!
:love: :love: :love:

Tiffy
12-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Phyliss,You are so very right dear about pleading or telling your side when you can. And because it was short it was not unpleasant to your wife. I bet she liked that too. I would say very well done and a great tip.

Marie,I put down my cig and got up outta my chair and walked away. That was two months ago. The only thing I miss, the look of lipstick on a cig butt. Go figure. And you have to stay busy hun. Use that nervous energy to clean or something. And best of luck in kicking it's butt.......lol (pun intended)

Tiffy

Calliope
12-20-2006, 09:37 PM
"Some Kaluah and three bottles of Baileys"

Hey, if you guys ever move to Menlo Park, let me know.

janet p
12-20-2006, 09:56 PM
Phyliss, I'm confused why would your SO ask you to bring in the bottles knowing that you have had problems with them before? This sounds more like a test then trust. I know you pasted with no problem but why do it? I'm not trying to start problems,but why? Please fogive me if I way out in left field.:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Penny
12-20-2006, 10:31 PM
You are so right on Phyliss. It sometimes it takes much time and effort to gain trust but practically no time to lose it. I have faith that all will go well, perhaps not always soothe, but well.

:hugs:

Penny

Phyliss
12-21-2006, 04:17 AM
Phyliss, I'm confused why would your SO ask you to bring in the bottles knowing that you have had problems with them before? This sounds more like a test then trust. I know you pasted with no problem but why do it? I'm not trying to start problems,but why? Please fogive me if I way out in left field.

She simply forgot to bring them in and was just too lazy to go get them herself. Hey, she's got a "husband/slave" and knows it. :D
Not that I mind doing little things for her. Keeps me outta the "dog house' and allows me the ability to "do my thing" when I am able without much comment from her.