PDA

View Full Version : An interesting day shopping

Jodi
12-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Yesterday, I was in upstate NY, so decided to hit Woodbury Commons for some shopping. For those who are not familiar, Woodbury Commons is the highend designer outlet mall NW of NYC. I have shopped there many times before, and am known in a number of stores. I was in drab.

My first stop was my favorite Via Spiga store to look at shoes. They had a sign on the window that said 50% off the marked down price on everything. I was greeted by Carol, a young SA, who had waited on me in the past. Sadly, she informed me that the store was closing after the holidays. So, I decided to do some serious looking. The bad part was that the stock was badly picked over. I found a nice pair of black round toe ankle boots and a pair of round toe, bronze pumps with a 4" heels. Retail would have been $475 for both. My bill was $68. I talked with Carol for about 1/2 hour. She mentioned that the Adrienne Vittadini store was also closing. Since I shop AV at home, I was sure to stop. We also discussed men shopping for women's shoes. She told me how nice it was that I always was honest with her and tried on before buying. She told me that she could write a book on the men that slink into the store, scared to death to buy shoes. She said that she has probably heard every lame excuse that could be made up, when she wished they would just sit down and try the shoes on. Lesson here girls--the SA's want to help and sell. Just sit down and try on.

On to the Adrienne Vittadini store. When I entered, I noted that both SA's on duty were men. The sign said everything in the store was 70% off. I started to brouse and the one gentlemen approached me and asked to help. I smiled and told him that I am a cd and I shop for me, and that I shop a lot in the AV store at Grove City, PA. His response was great, do you have anything specific that you want. I found a red knit sweater, and a dressy dark brown top. He took them from me and said, "I'll start a fitting room for you". I found another dress and went to the fitting room. All items fit great. When I came out, he asked if I had checked out the belts. The AV belts are normally very expensive. I found one for $15. My total bill for the visit was $48. Normally, the total for the items would have been in the $400 range. All in all a great shopping experience there.

So girls, when shopping in drab, be honest, smile, have a ball and grab some bargains.

Jodi

Eileen
12-22-2006, 08:47 PM
Jodi your experience once again shows us the most of what we fear is in our own minds. Being honest should be easy, but for most it is very difficult. You have given us a lot to think about!

Eileen

paulaN
12-22-2006, 09:23 PM
jodi you are so right. once you get over the fear factor, it's easy. I have never said to a sales person that I am a crossdresser but I am over the fear of shopping for womans clothes. I don't very often try things on but I am not afraid too when I feel the need to. I wrote a thread not long ago about shopping with the wife and it was great fun. So sistas get out there and shop it's fun and you get lots of nice stuff too.

Suzie Green
12-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Glad you found some lovely things Jodi...I just wish sometimes I was as smart a shopper! :rolleyes:

Christine

Angie G
12-22-2006, 11:33 PM
Jodi that was some great shopping hun :hugs:
Angie

Gingerbaby
12-22-2006, 11:47 PM
and I thought I was a good shopper. You are the best!!! Gingerbaby

jjjjohanne
12-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I have always dreaded shopping with male attendants. So, I always avoid them. Sounds like it is just like the female attendants!

JoAnnDallas
12-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I had a similar experience right before Christmas at the VS store in the local Mall. The SA had no problem that I was their for myself and even offered to set up a dressing room if I found something I liked. Two days before Christmas, things were pretty well picked over. LOL

I have never had a problem browsing the womens alise or buying women items. I don't say who I am buying for, but the VS experience has made me feel more at ease when I do go into the womans departments.

serinalynn
12-27-2006, 04:31 PM
The last time I went to a Lane Bryant outlet store I had several items of womens clothing that I wanted to buy and I said to the SA that the items were for me and all she said was "thats so cool" and asked if I found everything I wanted?

Are there more GG's out there than we think, that say its ok for us MtoF to wear womens clothes? Or is it that the stores don't care and just want us to buy what they have in stock

marie354
12-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Those experiances with ths SA's is very inspiring indeed. I got a pair of stretch jeans a few weeks ago and I've decided that I don't like the way they fit. I never tried them on till I got home. I'm going to buy another pair, (a 6 this time instead of an 8), and just maybe, now from what you've just described, I think that I have enough confidence to ask to try them on before I leave the store.
Wow! I really am starting to feel good about myself, aren't I. I would have never thought to do this 2 months ago. lol
:hugs:

Jodi
12-27-2006, 07:18 PM
The last time I went to a Lane Bryant outlet store I had several items of womens clothing that I wanted to buy and I said to the SA that the items were for me and all she said was "thats so cool" and asked if I found everything I wanted?

Are there more GG's out there than we think, that say its ok for us MtoF to wear womens clothes? Or is it that the stores don't care and just want us to buy what they have in stock.

It is the fact that the stores want to sell. The SA's appreciate it when you are honest and upfront with them. They also appreciate a smile, humor and courtesy. THey will bend over backwards for you. Unless the SA is very young or very new, they all know that men come in to shop and buy for themselves. They want to help and they want to sell.

Jodi

jjjjohanne
12-27-2006, 08:49 PM
I have never had a bad experience with an SA. Only once was I ever in a store that said they didn't permit men in their dressing rooms.

Joe

CalvinKlein
12-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I go to Woodbury Commons outlets often. In 2004 when I was heading back to school (or, actually to college) I made a stop and bought some men's clothes for school at Calvin Klein, but was hesitant to go go and browse tha panties (what I intended on doing). Also, it was only my third or fourth time shopping, first in a store with male and female associates and both men's and women's clothing styles. The lingerie was directly in the middle of the store (a little towards the back). After getting what I needed in men's clothes I must have circled the store for minutes, and kept getting asked if I needed any help. I avoided as many people as possible and finally went for the panties. I wish I had taken more time, but I just bought the first three thongs in large tht I could find and hid them under the pants I had picked out. When I brought my purchase up to the counter the sales associate had a big smile on her face. She unfolded the pants to reveal the panties, and folded them up - to me iut felt like she was holding them in the air for everyone to see. She told me that "Our panties are nonreturnable, so I hope they fit you." I didn't know what to do or say. I think I muttered something like "Alright, they will, thank you." I was keeping my head down praying no one I knew would walk in, and i was obviously shy, red, and probably sweating (it was summer). I feel so much better now about shopping, it's been just over 3 years since my first ever instore purchase and now I even like to go just to browse (usually end up buying something). But at the time I though this SA was so rude to me, but looking back I see a little differently. Ever since, I've had nothing but positive experiences -- especially at my favorite, VICTORIA'S SECRET.

Rachel Morley
12-27-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi Jodi,

Whilst I never have a problem buying feminine clothes en drab, I've never (yet) had the courage to openly say to a SA "yes, these clothes are for me" :eek:

A couple of times recently I've been in a shoe store and really should have tried them on first, but my wife Marla came to my rescue twice. What's a little bit tight on her is a perfect fit for me :happy:

DarleneCD
12-28-2006, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=Jodi;676242]Yesterday, I was in upstate NY, so decided to hit Woodbury Commons for some shopping. For those who are not familiar, Woodbury Commons is the highend designer outlet mall NW of NYC. I have shopped there many times before, and am known in a number of stores. I was in drab.

Jodi It sounds like a great trip. I have been to the commons many times myself. It is a nice feeling to feel like a shopper and not a Spectacle.

However, I do have to correct you on one thing, Woodbury commons is not upstate NY. For years I have heard people refer to the NYC sprawl as upstate NY. If you want to go upstate ny you are going to have to stay in the car for about 3 more hours heading north.

Nothing personal, but as a real upstater I have struggled with that for years. Perhaps it should be referred to as upstate NYC . Hope you understand.

Dar

CalvinKlein
12-28-2006, 01:38 AM
Darlene - Yes, that's one of the reasons I first replied to this post, must have been too busy rememebring my story -- I get mad when I tell the people I go to school with that I'm from Putnam County, just north of NYC and then they refer to where I live as upstate NY. I even joined a group on facebook "Putnam, Westchester, and Rockland Counties are not Upstate new York"

jjjjohanne
12-28-2006, 08:20 AM
The first time I ever tried on clothes in a store, it was a Lane Bryant in a mall far from home. I nervously looked around the store. I was shopping for panties. I asked a clerk a question that did not reveal that I was shopping for me. Later, I built up some nerve and asked the clerk, "Do you allow men to try on clothes?" She gave me a warm, "Sure." Then another clerk started helping me too. Soon, I was in the dressing room and the second clerk was bringing me outfits. I even opened the door to receive the new stuff while wearing the old stuff. She was playing cool, but she seemed like she wasn't entirely used to it. I know I wasn't! There was a dress that I tried on that I really liked. I did not buy it, however.

Gary
12-28-2006, 08:37 AM
thanks for sharing your experience with us. ive never had a problem perusing the womens section of any store, i just dont look around to see who is watching, staring whatever the case. ive only had one sa come up to me and ask if i was finding everything ok, an older woman, and i said yes...but to actually go to try something on...well now i see that it may not be so bad thanks to your having shared this as well as others. i dont normally shop higher end stores so sa's arent much of a problem...have been thru vs with my wife and i do think for me to muster the courage to try something on in a store or openly talk with an sa of my intentions i would really be much more at ease with my wife by my side. i suppose i feel someone may think twice of judging me if she is there, not totally sure why. so maybe when the time does come, if it does, and we are both comfortable with it, i will be able to do so...i have always loved challenging others to think outside the box and what an opportunity. again thanks so much for the story...gary

susie evans
12-28-2006, 07:43 PM
all days shopping for fem clothes are good i have learned over the last few months to just make my self at home and brouse and pick out what i like and don't realy think about all the other people and worry about what they are thinking

Jodi
12-28-2006, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=Jodi;676242]Yesterday, I was in upstate NY, so decided to hit Woodbury Commons for some shopping. For those who are not familiar, Woodbury Commons is the highend designer outlet mall NW of NYC. I have shopped there many times before, and am known in a number of stores. I was in drab.

Jodi It sounds like a great trip. I have been to the commons many times myself. It is a nice feeling to feel like a shopper and not a Spectacle.

However, I do have to correct you on one thing, Woodbury commons is not upstate NY. For years I have heard people refer to the NYC sprawl as upstate NY. If you want to go upstate ny you are going to have to stay in the car for about 3 more hours heading north.

Nothing personal, but as a real upstater I have struggled with that for years. Perhaps it should be referred to as upstate NYC . Hope you understand.

Dar

Darlene, I appreciate your comment:tongueout . I have a good friend who is a native in the City and has lived there all her life. Several years ago, she sarcastically corrected me on geography. "To a true City dweller, anything north of the City is "Upstate". So that is why I refer to it as that.

Jodi (not a New Yorker, but taught what is what by a native.)

Carroll
12-28-2006, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=Jodi;676242]

Dar

I also have to agree:D

Glenda58
12-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Great day of shopping and some great buys to. I never have problems with SAs since I always shop en femme now. Just bought a new winter jacket with a shawl, gloves and hat all on sale.

Michelia
12-29-2006, 03:12 AM
I wish I could find bargains like that!

Jodi, I am very bad in the sense that I cannot help letting the SA know the clothes are for me. I cannot help lifting a skirt or blouse from the rack and placing it against my body to visualize how it fits. I sometimes find their input invaluable. But I must say that even with this behavior of mine, they have never laughed or been anything less than professional.

Of course, I only will buy from or relate to SA's that are friendly to begin with.

I used to be paranoid of male clerks, but I have had a couple be super throrough and helpful and since then lost my fear of that too.

But I still do not like it if I am trying a ladies shoe on and a male customer walks by and spots me. It makes me very uncomfortable.

Michelia