PDA

View Full Version : Trying on Clothes

Sarah38b
01-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Do any of you girls ever try on womans clothes at places such as Wal-Mart? I am too scared to try it at Wal-Mart. They usually have old ladies manning the fitting rooms. Don't want them to freak out and possibly cause a scene. I tend to go for unmanned fitting rooms. There usually isn't anybody at the K-Mart fitting rooms and I like the Meijer fitting rooms as well. Oh and Kohls is excellent. People leave the clothes they try on right in the fitting rooms as posted. So once in a while I find a nice ladies sweater or something in there and try it on.

Sarah

DonnaT
01-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I've managed to sneak into a couple of fitting rooms with my wife. Hecht's and Macy's (I think).

Wendy me
01-20-2005, 11:04 AM
some of the shops that are good are were the sales girls are on commision ............
thay will even get the next size for you..............off hours are good to go.........

ChristineRenee
01-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Our JC Penney's stores here don't monitor either, no cameras, no attendants. I've tried on lotsa women's clothes there...take them in the fitting room along with some men's drab wear on top to conceal them.

racheal
01-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Regrettably, I take my chances, buy it, try it on at home, then if it doesn't fit, return it right away, but that does not work for panties and bras - final sale only, like usual. :)

Linda-x
01-20-2005, 02:43 PM
I was in a Fred Meyer's ,(a west coast chain), last Sunday. A trick I learned from a CD girlfriend of mine, was to take the item's you want to try on, to the men's fitting rooms. Much less stress, and no one seemed to pay attention.

Georgette
01-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I just tried Victorias Secret and the little sales girl asked if I wanted to try them on she even came in to measure me for a 2nd skin bra what luck LOL :rolleyes: she asked if I liked what I was doing and I asked her what did she think I was doing and she said you are acrossdresser aren't you? what could I say and she said OOOOOOOOH to bad you are not more my age we could really have some fun and i asked what kind of fun and she said I could be her life sized Barbie. Where was she 30 years ago.LOL :rolleyes:
Well thats it for tring on clothes and yes sears is another one without attendants. :) :)

racheal
01-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Georgette, you lucky girl you - WOW, now that's a story. Maybe someday, we'll have one like that. Hmmm...

alba68
01-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Never tried yet but tempted.

Felicity
01-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Yes, go someplay out of town if you are worried about bumping in to someone you know, but I recently had a wonderful experience with someone who enjoyed spending her time dressing me up!

Wenda
01-21-2005, 12:40 AM
It all depends upon my frame of mind. My experience, and I can see from this forum, is that a lot of us seem to go through cycles. From September through end of December, I shaved everything every day. Haven't shaved even my legs now for two weeks. bought over a thousand dollars worth of clothes and footwear in October. Haven't bought anything in 2005. Anyway, when I was on the 'high' side of the cycle, I tried on bras, tops, jeans, etc. at WalMart, Zellers (Target in USA), Value Village, Salvation Army and Winners (a factory liquidation store). If you are not looking for the surge of adventure, it is easier to buy something, ensure that it is returnable, and check it at home. I have had some interesting experiences at changing rooms, usually with more 'startled' responses from younger attendants. My GF has me buy her lingerie, because she knows that I enjoy checking out with nice sexy underwear. wenda.

Rikki
01-21-2005, 12:52 AM
I have never tried anything out, Haven't found the right size balls yet. Maybe some day. I have been lucky when buying, cause everything that I have bought has fit.

Rikki

nicki
01-21-2005, 02:38 AM
I was out shopping the other night . I found a very nice ultra low cut waisted jeans at Gap. Never any hassles or problems . At a sale price of 19.00 who really cares . Its all a frame of mind

silkenhose
01-21-2005, 09:17 AM
I have managed to find three stores where they cater to crossdressers. my favorate is one owned by an older women who takes great pleasure in picking things for me. she has clothes, shoes and sexy underthings. I show up in boy close, with panties and hose under and have a great time. she fitted me for corrset...that was fun. one other is a shoe store which caters again to cd's. The owners again r awesome, they have change room and i get to try on my outfits with shoes. nothing like modeling a little frenchmaids outfit in 6" pumps or a little red coctail dress with 5" open toed strappy's as owners and SO comment :o

last one is high end adult store which focuses on girly things for "bigger" girls. again people who work there seem to like dressing me.....however as a very submissive cd, the two girls there do end up putting me into alot of frilly things and seem to have fun with me once dressed :eek:

Ava Mouse
01-21-2005, 03:06 PM
I was in a used clothing store in the U District, North of Seattle. I was trying on a dress there and the zipper got stuck! :eek:

I couldn't slide it down over my hips or over my shoulders... I tried every which way to move it up and down to the stuck point, but no luck.

Great I can hear it now, how embarrasing, "Can anyone out there come take a look at this guy stuck in a cute dress?"

Luckily I had my Leatherman (tm) pocket knife with me, and carefully pried the zipper jaws open a little and that did the trick...

Whew!

In Seattle there are a few used clothing stores that focus on retro style. One is called 'Red Light' and has costumes and clothing by era, i.e. 60', 70's, 80's, etc.

First time I was there, I was going through the dress section and the attendant asked me if I wanted to try anything on! I was speechless!

Later visits I got the courage to do so, and now try on everything before I buy... Trying stuff on also helps me decide if I really want something. I mean, it may look great on the rack, but after trying it on, the desire to own it is gone. Other stuff looks awful on the rack, but looked great on me!

I feel more comfortable trying on stuff in more private dressing rooms. So, there are a few stores I try stuff on in, but others, I wouldn't dare. Not just for my own peace, but so I don't make other customers or owners feel uncomfortable...

I've become quite good at picking the right sizes these days. Though, at the beginning, I had to toss about 50% of my stuff out because it was way too small... :(

Sweet Susan
01-21-2005, 03:12 PM
I am absolutely frightened at the idea of trying anything on in a store. One of these days I hope to get up the courage to go to Nordstroms to buy some bras and have the women help me. But I'm not there yet.

I once tried on some dresses in a thrift store, but I no longer buy from thrift stores. Since my wife has given the green light on crossdressing openly in our house, I no longer have the need to "hide" my purchases. Although ocassionally one can find a good buy in a thrift store.

Bonnie-OR
01-21-2005, 03:24 PM
I've never had the guts to try anything on, always seem to be tons of people around. I do as someone here suggested a while back. Carry a string that I use as a measure. Hold the clothing up, and measure it with the piece of string. I have a red mark for waist, blue for hips, and green for bust. Haven't missed my size yet with this method. Thanks to whomever it was that suggested this. Huggs, Bonnie

Bonnie-OR
01-21-2005, 03:30 PM
What a terrifying incident. I would have had a heart attack. Thank God for the leatherman. I guess I better start carrying mine again. Never know when you may need it. ;) Huggs, Bonnie

Ava Mouse
01-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow! Great idea with the string! I'm going to do that! Thanks for sharing it.

I think I'll use pink/mauve/periwinkle... ;)

I've never had the guts to try anything on, always seem to be tons of people around. I do as someone here suggested a while back. Carry a string that I use as a measure. Hold the clothing up, and measure it with the piece of string. I have a red mark for waist, blue for hips, and green for bust. Haven't missed my size yet with this method. Thanks to whomever it was that suggested this. Huggs, Bonnie

DonnaT
01-21-2005, 04:28 PM

You're welcome Bonnie. Glad it worked as well for you as it did Biddy!

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4527

DonnaT
01-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I know that stuck zipper must have almost given you a heart attack Ava.

I use to do it on purpose when I was a teen. I would break off the zipper pull once it was all the way up. I was hoping, consciously, that I couldn't get out of the dress and have to get my mom to help. But, alas, I guess I had some Houdini in me, as I always managed to get out.

sherri
01-21-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but that is an interesting post, Donna. I almost started a thread the other day to talk about wanting to get caught ...

Maddie Knight
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
When I was younger and more convincing I loved going round clothes shops trying on lots of outfits dressed girly.
I would never try on girly stuff while out as a man ( But many times I wish I could ), just don't have the balls.

DonnaT
01-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but that is an interesting post, Donna. I almost started a thread the other day to talk about wanting to get caught ...

Well squint at that needle an start that thread!

Bonnie-OR
01-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Yep, works great, After my plastic recovers from Christmas, it'll work great some more. BTW, how is the weather affecting you? Hear some rough stuff out there. I was stationed in Yorktown for 5 years. Love the area, but humid as HELL in the summer. Huggs, Bonnie

windycissy
01-22-2005, 12:48 AM
I try on clothes all the time, that's half the fun of shopping. I steer clear of stores where a wardress is stationed at the changing rooms - department stores are the best, discount stores are the worst. Once I was looking at a skirt and top at Anne Taylor Loft and a helpful salesperson asked me, "Can I set up a room for you?" I freaked out! If you are afraid to try something on, take it home and see if it fits - if it doesn't, you can always return it, I've done that lots ot times, often in drab the next day - if asked I'll just say my wife didn't like it. The string thing is a neat idea, but even if the measurements are right, a dress can still hang wrong or make you look fat or dumpy - there's no substitution to trying isomething on before you buy it, and it's so cool!

Tristen Cox
01-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Sure I've tried on all kinds of clothes when I was out and about but I always had to return them to their owner before they came back :eek: Ok almost always :D

Emerald
01-22-2005, 02:02 AM
It gets really easy for me, my wife and my self are the same size( size 9- 12 depending). I also have a daughter that will try things on for me in the stores. So i can see what the clothes look like from the out side.

Emerald

Gail Evans
01-22-2005, 05:29 AM
I haven't yet tried on skirts or dresses, but always try on my slacks and blouses before buying. The change romm attendants do look a bit surprised sometimes, but what the heck, who cares. :)

Rebecca Jeanne
01-22-2005, 06:27 AM
An interseting link on store policys

http://www.chicagotransgender.com/shopping-nationwide.html

I've found that I get a feel for the store and either shopping enfemme or drab I've always been treated nicely. Most notably Talbots, Pendleton, Nordstrom and Victoria Secret

paulaN
01-22-2005, 07:43 AM
yes I have tried on clothes in the dressing room, only a couple of times. what a rush. I am getting a little more bold with age so I think I'll have to do it again. my last trip to good will was about 60% keepers.just on size alone.was not out much 3 or 4 bucks per item. I love the string idea. but ya just cant tell untill it is on ya.

LaceyNicole
06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
what i used to do was grab 2 pair of jeans(mens), then go though the womens section and pick out up to 3 items and place them between the jeans, hangers out so the hangers could be seen, but the clothing could not, and i never had a problem geting into the mens dressing room, don't try for more than 6 items total. i've also done that at gordmans, shopko, and target.

another place to try is if there is a dressbarn near you, they are cd friendly, and very helpful, last time i went there i couldn't help but spend 160.00, and they let me wear one of the skirts out of the store, customers were all polite, and attendant told me to come back whenever.

heathr1
06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
security cameras and there are fewer customers around.

Once went to Matalan, here in the UK and picked up a skirt. Two saleswomen, in the distance were staring at me and I immediately left the store.

I've never returned, but wish I'd approached them and said 'Would this suit me with a boob tube?'.

Cathy
06-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I love shopping at Kohls. I have never been checked going into a fitting room and their colths are great.

Jerry
06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
I've never tried anything on in a store. Probably never will.
But, as long as you are buying and have the gumption to do so, have fun! If a retailer doesn't want your money, go where they do.

Jerry

Jeri Kay
06-10-2005, 06:32 PM
;) +? I never try on things at WalMart.Too much waiting.
I'll say it again.There are some really nice things at thrift stores;Goodwill and Salvation Army,and the dressing rooms are uni-sex.Most of them have half price on Wednesdays.
In most stores I pick what I want in the ladies dept. and take it to the mens dressing room.Nobody pays me any attention.

NEVER PLAN.JUST LET IT HAPPEN!!

uknowhoo
06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
The first time I did it I was nearly terrified, but anymore I'm just kinda nervous when I go into a dressing room. I'm definitely into the thrift stores-- all kinda different clothes, easy-to-use dressing rooms, and cheap -- what more could a girl ask for (well, they are a bit thin in the lingere dept).

Crystal Harmony
06-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I was in a shop today called cruise and david jones and both times they asked me if i wanted to try them on,i was so shocked its never happen to me before,i didnt in the end but it felt nice to be asked(i was with my gf)maybe my nails gave it away or something. :)

Annabel Girlie
06-15-2005, 10:51 AM
In the UK I have found the girls at Ann Summers to be wonderful for letting me try things on. I have been to 3 stores and had the same very positive response. Using a tip I learned here in the forum, when asked what size 'she' is, I reply "ooh, about my size really" - at which point they have all asked "are they for you?" When I have said yes, they always offer to let me try them on - including the panties (as long as I have something underneath!)

I do tend to go to the stores at quiet times!

I think Ann Summers staff are wonderful, and I love their sexy undies!

Top marks to them

Love

Annabel

Katie Ashe
06-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Walmart I tried on many bras and finally bought my first, Old Navy I have tried on Skirts there. Everywhere: Shoes shopping is such a rush :D

Katie

Katrina
06-15-2005, 12:33 PM
The only places I have tried on clothes is at Deb where I asked the girl working there if I could try some hot pants and a cute pair of shorts, and Sears where nobody was working the fitting rooms and I tried on a pair of girly jeans in the mens fitting room. I have tried on shoes at DSW, Target, Ames (loooong time ago), and Bradlees (loooong time ago also). The ones a long time ago, I was really scared since I was still young - 19 or so at the time. The DSW was kind of a rush and there were a bunch of people around when I tried them on at Target (I bought a pair of loafers and a cute pair of flip flops). I'm going to get stamps at the grocery store now, and I'm wearing the flip flops. I'm in drab mode :(

Alayna
06-16-2005, 02:21 AM
I usually do it in Ross, and department stores. I get mixed results in the dept. stores though - Lately I've been denied a few times. A month ago Foley's had a lingerie sale and I asked one of the sales ladies if I could try some things on. I had 2 chemises, a long summery satin gown (ombre color - the kind that changes colors as you go down the fabric:D), a teddy and a short robe. No small order here, and most guys don't obsessively check the racks for an hour, holding a load of satin in their arms. I was alone too, so it was pretty obvious!

Anyway, I had the gown on and was checking the fit, when the other sales lady barged in (she was collecting hangers and stuff). The lock on the door was broken and I knew it from the start so I wasn't offended that she walked in on me - I knew it was a possibility but quite frankly didn't care.
So the lady started lecturing me on how I shouldn't be in the womens' dressing room and should take my stuff to the men's department, so I told her the other lady had no problems with it and they were getting a sale because I wanted to make sure they fit. I ended up buying a chemise and the robe.

I don't mind if stores have a problem with men using the womens' dressing rooms. I ALWAYS check, and usually don't even attempt it if they are busy and the rooms are occupied frequently. I don't have problems with people seeing me carry an armload of lingerie into the dressing room either, but I'll be damned if I walk across the store into the men's department to do it! I gotta draw the line somewhere:thumbsdn:. Besides, guys usually get more freaked out about that kind of thing than girls, like their sexuality is challenged if they let me in:rolleyes:

pantylover1
06-16-2005, 07:00 AM
A few weeks back I bought my first pair of 1.5in heel sandels at payless wow what a rush. Couldn't have done it without the help of my sisters on this site. So much support here. I was in my boy clothes at the time.

Hugs & Kisses Bernice P :D

malecynthia
06-16-2005, 02:13 PM
As I am always obviously a man in public and never wear a wig or make up, skirts and dresses are out of the question. Being over six feet tall and having long legs (34 inch inside leg), the only place I have found that stocks ladies trousers to fit me is the Long Tall Sally chain. They have trousers up to 36 inches and rather than buy online with the risk of them not fitting, I phoned up my nearest branch and asked if they would have any objections to a man trying on some ladies trousers, Having been assured there would be no problem I plucked up my courage and paid them a visit.
I explained to the two female assistants that I wanted a pair of trousers that were closer fitting than those available in menswear shops and one of the girls selected a pair and guided me to a changing cubicle. The first pair I tried on were not a good fit, so I emerged from the cubicle, still wearing them to show the girl what was wrong and she went off and brought another pair over. This process was repeated a couple of times until eventually the third or fourth pair fitted perfectly. getting back into my men's trousers I took the pair I wanted to the cash desk, paid for them and left.
The girls couldn't have been more helpful and apart from some smiles between them, no comments were made about me wanting to wear ladies trousers.
On that occasion I was completely in drab, but since then my wife has been taking a more active role and I will shortly be going back for a pair of hipsters. For this adventure, my wife has decided I should wear dangly earrings (Yes, she took me to get my ears pierced since I got those trousers), my side zipped trousers and a top that enables my bra to be seen at close range.
I am nervous, but excited at the thought of being identified more positively as a cross dresser. Do many others get a buzz from being embarrassed by their partners in this way?
Cynthia

gender_blender
06-16-2005, 05:06 PM
I can't think of a single female clothing store in which I haven't tried on clothing. This includes: most bridal shops in the area, Deb stores, Aeropostle, Weathervane, JcPenny, Sears, Walmart, Kmart (I obeyed the female dress code while working there as well), Filene's, Wet Seal, Frederick's of Hollywood,...

Charlie

jjjjohanne
06-17-2005, 05:28 AM
I have tried on clothes in several stores. It is a great experience to have a woman help you select clothes. Some are very supportive and nice. All of them talk too loudly! I'm always trying to shush them. They normally say, "Ow, noone cares."

Warning: Once you do this, you may become addicted. I first tried on clothes in order to aquire a halloween outfit. After that, I keep going back to stores and trying on more... I am deeper now in CDing because of that than I was before.

Christine1960
06-17-2005, 10:50 AM
In a similar vain to shopping and trying on cloths at a women’s store, I have been looking for a job lately; and I have applied (in drab) at all those chain stores for large sizes that you ladies said were CD Friendly. :D Just filling out the application, listening, looking, and speaking to the clerks was a rush in and of itself.

I even filled out an application for a shoe store which specializes in large size women’s shoes. ;)

I thought that why not just look at women’s cloths why not actually work at a large size woman’s fashion store. :p

Hugs
Christine