PDA

View Full Version : A New Opportunity

Vanessa Sheridan
12-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Just wanted to share this with all of you. Last week I was contacted by a Minneapolis-based diversity training organization that works with Fortune 500 clients and other organizations both nationally and internationally. They were looking for a Subject Matter Expert on the topic of transgender, especially as it applies to the workplace. I was asked to attend a meeting with their CEO, their Director of Special Solutions, and a couple of other significant staff members to talk about possibilities. The result of the meeting is that I've been offered a consulting contract with this organization and will be working with them as their in-house transgender diversity expert. I'll be involved in training, strategizing, speaking (they want to promote me as a speaker for conferences, which will be wonderful), curriculum development, and other aspects of consulting. The first client for me is a major Chicago-based financial organization, and I'll be doing strategic planning as well as a series of trainings for several groups within that company.

I'm excited about the potential for good, especially since I'm going to be involved in initiatives that will touch the lives of many people in positive ways. I'm so happy to have this chance to do work that I love, especially with a well-respected, high quality company like this one. Little by little, change is happening and transpeople are gaining greater visibility within the culture. We're changing the world, sisters and brothers. I hope you'll celebrate with me.

Shelly Preston
12-25-2006, 03:14 PM
This is great news

Whoever decided to ask you deserves a lot of credit

I am so glad you will have a chance to promte transgender people in a positive light

I just hope the message filters down to the less well informed companies.

Vanessa Sheridan
12-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Thank you, Shelly--I hope so too.

marie354
12-25-2006, 03:32 PM
This is really one of the things I'd never had known about if I hadn't found this forum.
What a great opportunity!
:hugs:

Kate Simmons
12-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks for sharing that Vanessa. I'm sure everyone is encouraged to hear that. Thanks also for giving of yourself for this very important work. I know you are a very dedicated person and well, the fact that you love what you do makes it all the better. Education of this nature is just the type of positive work that is needed to show people what we are really all about.I wish you continued success and I for one am very pleased with what you have done already. As you say, little by little the "worm" is turning. It shows though that effort is required to change perception and it certainly won't happen overnight or by itself.:happy: Ericka Kay

Julie York
12-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Well you've certainly got the lingo off anyway.

Good luck.:thumbsup:

(Julie York: Cross gender facilitator organisation representative as it applies to a multicultural workplace environment.)

Eugenie
12-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Congratulations, getting a professional activity that also makes you proud of what you are doing is fantastic.

And indeed, what a progress it is that such a job seems to be a natural activity for large corporations in the Fortune 500...

Perhaps we will invite you in Europe to try to convince European firms to be more "transgender aware". If you don't mind, I'll talk about your activity to ILGA-Europe. Perhaps you could send me some additional material later on when you will be full time in your new job.

Eugenie

Phoebe Reece
12-25-2006, 11:12 PM
That's great Vanessa! That has got to be the best job I've heard of for a TG person. I wish you luck in this venture.

Holly
12-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Vanessa, keep up this wonderful and important work for our community. :hugs:

gennee
12-26-2006, 09:24 AM
That is wonderful, Vanessa. I'm so happy for you. Keep up the good work for our community.

Gennee

:Party2: :hugs:

Sophia Rearen
12-26-2006, 09:26 AM
Ms. Sheridan, are the words "shopping trip" in order? Time for some new business wear? Need a gf to go with ya? Way to go sister!

Alaceann
12-26-2006, 09:53 AM
WoW, that's just so great to hear. I'm so glad for you that I'm sure you'll do a great job there. This can be a big plus for all. Wishing you all the best.:love:

Vanessa Sheridan
12-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Thank you all for your words of support and encouragement. (And yes, Sophia, I'd love to go shopping. Mall of America, anyone?) I'm excited about this new opportunity to make a difference, and I'm not taking it lightly. It appears that I'll have the chance to work with a lot of different organizations and help them develop policies, guidelines, procedures, and training programs that will inform folks about transgender issues. The more we can educate people, the more we'll be perceived as an integral part of the fabric of society and not as freaks or perverts. It's important to put a human face on this issue, and I'm determined to do that as much as I can. Once again, thank you for caring and for being such a great community. I'm honored to be a small part of bringing transgender to the table in corporate America.

Lovely Rita
01-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Wonderful News Vanessa
It sounds like you can really make a difference. I am so happy for you. One thing that excites me more than anything is to know that you Vanessa will be batting for us. It has been a blessing to get to know you. It could not happen to a better person. It is all so good.

You go girl!

Love

TxKimberly
01-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Just wanted to share this with all of you. Last week I was contacted by a Minneapolis-based diversity training organization that works with Fortune 500 clients and other organizations both nationally and internationally. They were looking for a Subject Matter Expert on the topic of transgender, especially as it applies to the workplace. I was asked to attend a meeting with their CEO, their Director of Special Solutions, and a couple of other significant staff members to talk about possibilities. The result of the meeting is that I've been offered a consulting contract with this organization and will be working with them as their in-house transgender diversity expert. I'll be involved in training, strategizing, speaking (they want to promote me as a speaker for conferences, which will be wonderful), curriculum development, and other aspects of consulting. The first client for me is a major Chicago-based financial organization, and I'll be doing strategic planning as well as a series of trainings for several groups within that company.

I'm excited about the potential for good, especially since I'm going to be involved in initiatives that will touch the lives of many people in positive ways. I'm so happy to have this chance to do work that I love, especially with a well-respected, high quality company like this one. Little by little, change is happening and transpeople are gaining greater visibility within the culture. We're changing the world, sisters and brothers. I hope you'll celebrate with me.

It seems that several ladies in this group are taking big steps on our bahalf. It's so neat to hear that people are concerned with more important and significant things than what kind of underwear we have on.

Wau to go and thanks for representing us all!
Kim

Vanessa Sheridan
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi everyone,

Just a bit of an update on the new opportunity I've been telling you about. Last Thursday evening I flew to Chicago with two other members of my new organizational team, spent the night at a Radisson near the client's headquarters, and then participated in a presentation at our client's U.S. headquarters on Friday morning. We were discussing a significant new training initiative centered around transgender/gender identity within the client organization, and things went well.

I have to tell you that it was a unique thrill to be sitting in a boardroom with the movers and shakers of a large international corporation, and all the while I was thinking: "I'm here as an openly transgender person. I'm wearing a skirt and blouse--and I'm being taken seriously as a businessperson! How cool is this???"

After the meeting we flew back home. I've been told that my new organization is going to actively look for ways to leverage my presence with all their clients. We want to become the leading consulting/training company in the area of transgender diversity for business. It's going to be quite a ride, I'm sure. I feel so fortunate to be in this position. If you had told me that one day I'd be getting paid well for wearing a dress and sharing my experience as a transgender person, I'd have said you were crazy--but it's happening, and I'm very, very happy about it.

Thanks for all your support and good wishes. I don't take this opportunity lightly and I know that, at least in some ways and at various times, I'm in a position to represent the entire trans community. That's a huge and somewhat unfair responsibility, one that I feel unworthy of carrying, but I promise to represent us with all the integrity I possess. We transfolk are far too amazing to remain an oppressed minority forever, and I'm trying to make a difference so that we can all work for a living without having to suffer discrimination or prejudice just because we're transgender.

I'll try to post something from time to time just to let you know what's happening. It will take some time to build this up, since my new company has just brought me on board and has yet to really start marketing this opportunity. However, they've assured me that they're committed to doing so and are excited about moving forward in the area of transgender. It's going to be a great adventure, I'm certain.

Amy Hepker
01-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Sounds great for you and a step forward for the rest of us.

Sheila
01-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Vanessa, wishing you all the best in your forcoming ventures

Jess

janelle
01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Good luck dear.
Also want to say thanks for encouraging me to go to the U. of Minn. Human Sexuality Clinic. Shana Hamilton is wonderful. Thanks sweetie.
:love: Janelle

noname
01-28-2007, 03:53 PM
What on opportunity. Congrads. Does this position apply people going through srs, or does it gear twards clothing rights in general?

susie evans
01-28-2007, 04:03 PM
i think you might be suprised how many very high up exect's are crossdressers and they are starting to realize the potential that is in this areana it is still a very
sensitive area as the chairman of the boad is not allowed to differ from main streem practices or philosphy but it will change in time wall street is a lonley and burtell place
just an observation

susie

Sophia Rearen
01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi everyone,

If you had told me that one day I'd be getting paid well for wearing a dress and sharing my experience as a transgender person, I'd have said you were crazy--but it's happening, and I'm very, very happy about it.

There are other ways to make money while wearing a dress. Not sure how legal it is? Check your state laws.:D

Maureen Henley
01-29-2007, 11:27 AM
That's one small step for transgendereds, and one giant leap for mankind - with apologies to Neil armstrong

Melinda
01-29-2007, 11:31 AM
This thread makes me wonder. What are the most TG friendly companies to work for? If that information was available somplace it would go a long way towards helping me decide where I want to work. If there was an open position in my field at such a company I might just decide to apply then show up for an interview dressed. It would be very nice to not worry about getting caught at work or by someone from work. Not that I let that stop me. ;)

Kimberley
01-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Vanessa, this is absolutely wonderful! I am sure you will do wonderfully.

While on the subject, I received an email from one of our members this weekend. She has informed us that she has been made a VP with the bank she works for. As a point of interest, she is 24/7. I am sure she will drop in and start a thread on it herself but the point is, there is hope for change.

Kimberley

Sam-antha
01-29-2007, 03:08 PM
A diversity expert !
Do not forget to match the colours.

Really though congratulations and good luck

~Samm

carol anne
01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
:straightface: Congratulations- to say the least. I'm a minneapolis gal too but have not met you.
I hope you do well.
Carol Anne

SherriePall
01-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Congratulations. And we wish you all the best.

Vanessa Sheridan
01-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Once again, thanks to all of you. It's wonderful to have such support and affirmation. More good news: I got a call from my company VP today. Our proposal for trans awareness training has been accepted and we were awarded the business from the client. That means we're on for training here in the U.S., but also there's a chance that I might get to go to Europe to do some work over there for the client company as well. This just gets better and better! Dreams really can come true.