PDA

View Full Version : Overnight at hospital - they're bound to notice :(

StephanieCD
01-20-2005, 07:44 PM
As I pack my bags to head off for an overnight sleep study it occurs to me that my legs are shaved! Red and bumpy but shaved, nonetheless.

This very well could be a strange encounter for me... what if they want to put sensors on my thighs or something... now that I mention it... ;)

But, really! I'm suddenly feeling much better and don't so much need to go to a sleep clinic.

Wish me luck!

racheal
01-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Good luck Stephanie. They shouldn't put sensors near your thoughs, they will place then on your chest (heart monitoring) - vital signs, etc. I have had this done - once had a chronic sleep disorder, but now I am back to normal. Hmm, I wonder what 'normal' really means though? Relax and you will hopefully have a nice sleep this evening.

StephanieCD
01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanks Racheal :) You made me feel a lot better! Off I go.

Ashleigh
01-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Good luck and just relax. They won't be interested in areas that low.

racheal
01-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Thanks Racheal :) You made me feel a lot better! Off I go.

We will all be here when you get back. Party on girl! :)

racheal
01-20-2005, 07:58 PM
I had a sleep study back in november. I had shaved leggs and a nice red on my toe nails. If the guy noticed he gave absolutely no indication. I doubt it will be much of an issue and I'm willing to bet that they've seen it before. There are lots of men keeping their legs shaved. :)

If you are still a bit worried wear pj's that have long pants...

Yes, that's a good Point Erica, long PJs work as well, just as long as the don't look.... Well, you know... :)

Steffie-Lee
01-20-2005, 07:59 PM
In my travels around the world, I have seen men who had no body hair at all, I have also seen women who if they didn't trim it a bit, the hair on their legs would cover their shoes. Shaved legs are no big deal. Go for the sleep study. If you don't you could stop breathing some night in your sleep, and die. I lost a good friend that way. :)

Sierra
01-20-2005, 08:28 PM
It could be a chance to expess a bit of your feminine side and show the finest pretty things you like to lounge around in. ;)

Tristen Cox
01-20-2005, 08:35 PM
"Why doc? I thought you were going to shave them anyhow so I thought maybe I'd get a discount?????"

Holly
01-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Steph,

Sweet dreams!

racheal
01-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Discount? Do I hear a 'sale'? :) Let's shop!

Wendy me
01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
girlfreind you will do fine......had that done 6 years ago......good nite sleep tight.....

Rikki
01-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Hope you took your pjs and not your nitie. I hope all went well for you and you don't have to wear that mask thing to sleep with.

Rikki

Helana
01-21-2005, 04:18 AM
No worries, people working in hospitals see wierd and wonderful things almost everyday and finding men wearing lingerie etc under their clothing is a frequent occurance. Shaved legs are nothing, they will not even notice or care to bother asking why.

I had a boil on my belly which needed removed at the hospital. My entire body - arms, legs and chest and belly were all shaved and it was noticeable because there was stubble and nobody blinked an eye. They really don't care, trust me.

racheal
01-21-2005, 07:55 AM
We are all waiting with anticipation to hear how your overnight trip was - Let's hear all about it Stephanie. I'll try to wait patiently for your story. :)

LindaTS
01-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Been there, done that. They never get that far down. Besides, I keep my body completely shaved and my doctor has seen every square inch of me. He's never said a word about it. Oh yes, he knows my boobs are growing too. Still, not a word.

StephanieCD
01-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm back! (had to visit the 'rents on the way back)

A grand total of 4 strangers (3 females, 1 male) touched my legs at one point or another. They cemented wires to my shins to look for restless leg syndrome. I almost died when the doctor came in and said "are you wearing any lotion anywhere on your body?"

"Yes. My legs."

He then told me I'd have to wash them and demonstrated on himself where the sensors would go. I must have been 20 shades of pink! Later, all washed up, I sat in a chair while I was wired up with dozens of sensors and other gizmos... the whole while, my fuzzy black pajama pants (worn to conceal) hiked up over my knees... strangers walking by in the hall and everything.

One lady flinched for a second but other than that - nothing. It was oddly liberating. I later wished I hadn't worn the stuffy and uncomfortable pajamas I did and toyed with the thought of wearing something like this:http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodlgvw/V235411.jpg

I'll probably have to go back for another study they said... now that would be something.

racheal
01-22-2005, 07:39 PM
That may turn some heads Stephanie - I am glad that all worked out for you. Next time maybe? :)

StephanieCD
01-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Hey, I'm proud of myself for not freaking out about it. A small step for man, one giant leap for Stephanie.

;)

SilkenPrincess
01-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Hey Stephanie, I think you look pretty good in the jogging outfit!

StephanieCD
01-22-2005, 09:42 PM
If only!

StephanieCD
01-22-2005, 10:03 PM
I know I won't but I'll be thinking about it all night! Probably get diagnosed with something because of it ;)

DonnaT
01-23-2005, 12:21 AM
See nothing too it.

I thought about letting you know they would attach sensors to the legs. I have sleep apnea and they put them on my legs. But I didn't want you to be nervous ahead of time.

Guess what though, when they took the sensors off, it hurt like hell pulling on the hair. You were lucky, believe it or not.

Wenda
01-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Good job, Stephanie! I spent overnight in the e-ward back in the autumn, and made some jokes about my chest being pre-shaved for the e-cardio things. Nobody in the hospital cared. I could have had my toes painted flourescent purple, and I doubt they would have commented. Relieving and a bit disappointing at the same time. wenda.

StephanieCD
01-23-2005, 03:03 PM
I figured as much, Donna - thanks for sparing me ;)

I figure doctors see it all. I almost said "I bet you get all kinds" when they hiken my pant legs up. It was easier to keep quiet about it though.