PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Value Village

sandra-leigh
12-27-2006, 01:19 AM
I did the boxing day run of a large shopping centre in my home town, and what I found was mostly more of the same stores that I have back home. I did not go into the classy boutique district, though -- my pass by those the other day convinced me that if I did happen to see anything in those classy stores, I wouldn't be able to afford it!

After the disappointment (and large crowds), I bussed over and dropped an xmas present off at a friend's. And what do I see at the corner where I have to wait to go back? Why, it's a Value Village :D

Anyone who has gone into a Value Village knows that it is always a crap-shot -- you might find row after row of crap, or you might happen to find something nice at an amazingly low price. It's a good way to kill an hour, looking for the golden straw in the chaff.

I must have been borrowing against my karma today, because I found two skirts:

a brown full-length leather-like PVC skirt, size 15, about $C13
a black mid-length size 20 Danier leather skirt, about $C25

The full-length PVC is a bit on the tight side at my current girth, but I'll either lose weight or find someone who wants it.

The mid-length true leather skirt is slightly too big -- it tends to slip down past my hips. Nothing that a minor alteration won't fix (or a good belt.)

As anyone above size 10 probably knows, it is quite hard to find even a decent full-length even in PVC: the consignment store owners tell me that very few of the larger PVC or leathers come in, and the few that do sell within a couple of days. And, since I'd been in Danier earlier today, I know that the retail Boxing Day price (about 30% off) for the mid-length true leather I found is $C200 -- so the leather one was only about 1/10 of the original retail price.

Some day I may get the local leathersmith to make me a form-fitting full-length leather skirt, but in the meantime I can enjoy my finds.

NB: the skirts were both misfilled by size, and leather sizing is always a bit odd, so if you Value Village, be sure to search the entire row.

Angie G
12-27-2006, 05:33 AM
good shopping tess :hugs:
Angie

Victoria-Marie
12-27-2006, 01:49 PM
I often go to Value Village, and I have found many fitting items there.

It is true that you have to go through a lot of crap, but there are some jewels hidden there.

Value Village in Canada is called Savers in the US of A and in Australia (http://www.savers.com/main/).

Erica Lauren James
12-27-2006, 02:57 PM
I Love Value Village, I usually spend an hour to an hour and a half looking through the entire ladies section then another hour trying everything on.

Do this in boy mode most of the time but in Kiera mode once in a while.

My red outfit that I'm wearing in my avatar is from there.

Kiera

Jestina
12-27-2006, 03:07 PM
I also love Value Village.

Just a tip, in the years I was involved in social work I worked with a number of food and clothing banks.
I noticed that the best clothes and the NEWEST clothes turned up starting in mid to late January, same for "Goodwill", "Salvation Army" and "Value Village".

Reason? unwanted or uneeded Christmas gifts as well as purging to make room for new stuff. The turnover lasts until sometime in February.

This has proven consistent in the Toronto area at least for the last 20 years.

So gurls...get ready...two weeks or so untill SHOPPING TIME!!!!!!

Theresa(TGirl)
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Oh yeah, Value Village, gotta go to one eventually, might find some nice stuff. Who knows?

Katrina CD
12-27-2006, 04:49 PM
We don't have Value Village in the Midwest, not that I know of anyway. We do have Goodwill & Salvation Army. Which one is usually better for nicer lower priced items?

Karen Francis
12-27-2006, 09:30 PM
75% of my wardrobe is from various Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other thrift stores from all over the USA. And as was mentioned earlier, it is a total crapshoot. But if you have the time, and desire there is gold in that there hill...Best thing about it: dressed in drab, no one seems to care what you are trying on...If you buy it try it on at home it doesno't work out-wrong color shape, style whatever you don't have much invested, you drop it in the bin a few days later and you let them sell it again, you help the organization out.
Best way to explore what really looks realistic on you, if passing is important.

Highest quality selection seems to parallel the demographics of the area. Lousy selection, poor quality labels in poorer neighborhoods which also get picked clean by locals who really need to shop there. Don't know about timing, fresh inventory after christmas etc. will check that out

sandra-leigh
12-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Best thing about it: dressed in drab, no one seems to care what you are trying on.

That is consistant with my experience at Value Village; I do not get the slightest funny look when I show up at the dressing rooms with a pile of obviously femme clothes.

The Salvation Army and Goodwill here are much smaller -- the Value Village are like department stores, and the Salvation Army are closer in size (and feel) to a family-run hardware store.

sandra-leigh
12-28-2006, 03:07 AM
a brown full-length leather-like PVC skirt, size 15, about $C13

It's already had an outing :D

It was about -11C (== 11F) outside, but with a pair of tights, the ankle-length skirt was not cold in the brief times I was outside.

I didn't get any remarks at all about the skirt, so it must have blended well enough. A guy did ask me what I was doing there, but he had me confused with someone else. (No, it wasn't a "What's a nice girl like you...?" line!)

No matter how I dress, no matter which wig too, the people who have seen me a couple of times in drab seem to have no problem recognizing me dressed, even across a room that is not well lit. It's not like I have a big nose or a cleft chin or some other feature of distinction.

Theresa(TGirl)
12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
......Best thing about it: dressed in drab, no one seems to care what you are trying on......

They probably think you're going to a costume party and don't want to go to Party City to buy a costume and your helping out some friends with similar builds.

sandra-leigh
12-28-2006, 11:56 AM
They probably think you're going to a costume party and don't want to go to Party City to buy a costume and your helping out some friends with similar builds.

Did you forget to put in the sarcasm emoticon? :o

In the VV that I've been to, I doubt the clerks had any illusion that the clothes were for anyone other than me. A "guy" going to a costume party doesn't spend 30 or 60 minutes picking through the stock and trying a few select things on -- he looks for the first reasonable looking thing, and asks someone "Do you think this would fit someone about my size?" rather than try it on directly.

The VV people around here know that I'm trying on for me, but their minds are on other things too much to care.

june58
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
I luv value village. Live in the twin cities and my wife and I go there quite often and have found some great buys. A lot of my wardrobe has come from there. Luv their prices, but have to take time to look. I think better than salvation army or goodwill.

Sierra Evon
12-28-2006, 03:36 PM
I shop alot at VV, also have found many good quality items, most of my current wardrobe is from VV, I know all the good name brand items well , and can spot them a mile away , howere I do feel that even tho its still thrift stuff its still can get expensive , I recently went to VV, just before X-mas, spent 45 $, but got alot of cute clothes for winter, and casual wear, still a good deal , for a girl on a budget, ( like moi ) I'm a quality treasure hunter!!

pinkpanther
12-28-2006, 04:41 PM
I live in Western Canada and shop in Value Village every opportunity I have. I have been fortunate enough to purchase 2 leather skirts, 2 leather pants, women jeans, leotards and many pairs or ballet flats at various VV locations.

Theresa(TGirl)
12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Maybe my reply did seem a bit sarcastic, didn't it, ahh well.