PDA

View Full Version : My mom rocks

Calliope
12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
Nobody has supported my transition as warmly and openly as my mother.

Not that we always got on so well. 30 years ago, my mother was busy keeping upset with the Joneses. We struggled a lot - she was driven to see me playing sports and learning karate (i.e., being a 'normal boy'). I was sullen, full of the anti-establishment axioms of the day. I had few friends - which prompted her to sent me, briefly, to a shrink; luckily for me, she was not aware of my afternoons, alone at home, in which I wore her clothes and makeup.

However forcefully she attempted to impose it on me, I could tell she hated her lifestyle. I always thought: 'One of these days, she's gonna tell the old man to stuff it and go off on her own to see the world.' And, around 2000, she did. At 65, she hiked the Appalachian Trail - then made her break. Goodbye job, goodbye husband, goodbye house. She now winters in Mexico, lives out of a tent - a total hippie.

Her own path of self-actualization has been a major source of inspiration.

She just returned from a three-week Mexican beach trip, and was camping out somewhere in the Arizona desert watching the sunset. I told her the news about getting my own apartment - she was delighted. She was amused to hear of my latest passing adventures. And she said, 'I've got this terrific skirt to send you; since it fits me, I'm sure it'll fit you.'

Well, that's pretty damn full-circle, isn't it?

Roberta Lynn
12-31-2006, 12:59 AM
Good for your Mom, Good for you DT

I know this has been quoted on this forum before but it seems like it fits

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting...HOLLY COW! WHAT A RIDE!!!

Scotty
12-31-2006, 01:01 AM
Takes a lot of courage to do that, good on her!!

And yep, she sounds cool!!

My mom is pretty cool, one of these days I'll break it to her.
We've climbed mountains before, skiied together, that kind of stuff.
I race boats and she thinks that's cool, she even tried it once but went swimming after she flipped it.
She asks why I won't go swimming with her, well it's like this mom....I'm either wearing a bikini or you get the picture. ... can't hide them anymore, it's too obviouis :D

Mom's can e cool....glad you got a cool one!

Kate Simmons
12-31-2006, 01:04 AM
That's great DT. Like you said, your Mom rocks. Works for me.:thumbsup: :happy:

melissaK
12-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Quite the lady you have as a mom. What an inspiration to be pursuing adventures at 65! And a wizened adventurer at that - camping out in AZ in winter months is dreamy compared to summer - (with some elevation driven exceptions). :heehee:

Lovely Rita
12-31-2006, 01:43 AM
Wow Daytripper
That is fascinating and beautiful. Moms can be so great! They are my heroes. My mom used to let me hang around the house in pantyhose when I was a kid. She was always supportive and nurturing God rest her soul. You could write a book about your mom.

Hugs

Bobbie cd
12-31-2006, 01:46 AM
Day Tripper,

That is so cool. How wonderful for you to have such a mom.

And the bit about the skirt is just too rich. LOL, like you said,
full circle!

tall_brianna
12-31-2006, 02:58 AM
What a treasure! Keep her ;)

TOJ,

-b

kerrianna
12-31-2006, 03:42 AM
Yeah dudette, your mom does totally rock!
:love:

SusanTL
12-31-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi Daytripper.

That is so cool. I am so happy for you.

Hugs - Susan

Angie G
12-31-2006, 07:54 AM
Well DT you have a cool mom thats great:hugs:
Angie

Penny
12-31-2006, 08:04 AM
Sounds like your mom is, and is getting, a breath of fresh air.

:hugs:

Penny

Shaz
12-31-2006, 10:41 AM
dude that's an awesome story !!
rock on mum, goes to show your never to young to start again :P

TxKimberly
12-31-2006, 10:54 AM
My wife's grandmother lived a life much as you describe your mothers. Everyone talked about her like she was nuts or something for living in tents in the dessert, but you know what? She was HAPPY! Deep down, where it really matters, she was a happy woman that enjoyed her life watching the sunrise and sunset in the clear air. You know, I'm feeling inspired. Hold on, I'm gonna go sell the house. . . I'll be right back . . .

Bethanygirl
12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
It sounds wonderful! My mother is long gone, but I can only imagine how special it would be to share your life with an understanding and loving mother in it. I hope you know how lucky you are honey. :thumbsup:

S. Lisa Smith
12-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Your Mom sounds super! My Mom is very supportive, but couldn't be more different. She loves to shop, loves "civilization" and its luxuries.

marie354
12-31-2006, 06:56 PM
You've got a super mom DT. Be thankful, not all are that understanding.
WOW! Fantastic! And a skirt too.
:hugs:

Sarah Rabbit
12-31-2006, 07:02 PM
Thats excellent DT..My mother is fully accepting of Sarah. The only thing she regrets is by the time she knew of Sarah, her health had failed to the point where we never got the chance to share girly outings, like shopping and the such. I hope you and your mom will take that opportunity, we missed:happy:

Sarah R. :bunny:

Missy Anne
12-31-2006, 07:40 PM
DT,

What a cool mom! Hope you both can get together for outings someday!

Missy Anne

Jenna1561
12-31-2006, 08:05 PM
DT,

I agree, Way Cool Mom!

Jenna

Missy Anne's GG
12-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi DT,

It's so nice to have such a supportive and inspirational mom. I bet you can't wait to get the skirt!

Hugs,

Missy Anne's GG

michelleliz
12-31-2006, 08:30 PM
You never know what you can do untill you set your mind to it. Good for the both of you

Michelle Liz