PDA

View Full Version : More bad press

Theresa(TGirl)
01-01-2007, 03:37 AM
A local channel here in Georgia had a story in their news about two guys who robbed a beauty parlor.

What's worse is that they were dressed as women.

Now talk about bad press, "Crossdressers Rob Salon" doesn't make me feel comfortable at all.

Cheryl GG
01-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Hey Terri....I am from GA....and you know what....aint it funny how the south seems to just make shit up as they go along....they write the news however they think it will draw attention....they dont think about what type of damage it can do to society....just what will make their ratings go up....I have seen this done with gays....blacks(you know some black boy ALWAYS did it)....mentally ill (geesh they love to get ahold of a mentally ill story)....pagans....the south....gotta love em....and its NOT just GA or the south that does this - its world wide....these are prejudices that occur world wide......the south just does it to our faces(ballsy bunch of republicans huh?)....society passing judgment as they choose....without a care in the world of the damage that they do to the individuals they hurt in the process....and for what.....ratings....all for ratings....its nice to know that a persons life is only worth ratings....this kind of shit pisses me off.....and I am sorry that this has happened....aint it great to be a southerner.....and arent you glad we grew up with those good ole southern values and those good ole southern ways.....sometimes I think yes....then I hear about things like this and am reminded of why it is I got the hell out of there when I did....try not to let it get you down....there is nothing we or anyone will ever be able to do about that "good ole boy" way of life thats lived down there.....I think its always going to be like that....chin up...somethings in life we just cant change....we just have to turn and have a deaf ear.....C/

Cheryl GG
01-01-2007, 04:41 AM
***I got a question....how do they know they were crossdressers??? did they leave a note that said - WE ARE CROSSDRESSERS!!!!! or what ??? could have easily been large women.....or manly looking women....I mean dang...come on now....geesh that raises so many questions in my mind....damn what channel was this that aired this? was this TV 5 out of Atlanta???

Theresa(TGirl)
01-01-2007, 04:51 AM
By "TV 5" are you referring to FOX5, if so, yes, and I think they found out when they were arrested, but it's like the news to focus on the "interesting" aspects and leave out details, like the school fights that break out always seem to have some sort of gang relations, odd huh?, and other stuff, I love the south, but it's just the stubborn ignorant people that get on my nerves. Like my grandparents, I mean, I love them, I have to, I can't whole hearedly hate anyone in my family, but it makes me mad to hear her talk all the time about the news, and hearing her say, "ahh, it was a (fill in the common word used to say "black person", hint, derived from the spanish word for "black"), them (same word again)..." I mean, she wants to set a good example for her grandkids, but is teaching them how to cuss, and hate anything different (by grandkids, I'm referring to me and my sister), and also, she doesn't like the idea of Underground Atlanta, or people buying fireworks for the 4th of July and New Years.

PS, most school's definitions of a gang are so vague that if you have two friends you hang out with all the time, and then a fight started when those friends were around, it could've been gang related violence, and they always have to get the law involved with fights now, whatever happened to calling the parents and letting the parents deal with them, I mean, the tax dollars used on the PDs doesn't need to be wasted arresting people for fighting at school, it should be used for arresting the true criminals.

Kate Simmons
01-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Just another example of sensationalism and news people using the media as a vehicle for their personal prejudice or phobia. What has to happen in cases like this is for folks to contact the station and let them know it was done in poor taste, and really what was the point of such a report? So a bunch of old "church ladies" can get together and gossip? You have to put it all in perspective really. I hardly watch TV, I turn it on but don't watch it , just listen. Without the video, you can be more objective and realize it's all about indoctrination anyway. Just LISTEN to some of the news reports and don't watch and you begin to see just how much they try to lead you in a certain direction. A lot of times the video they are showing is not the actual scene and is out of context anyway but the point is to promote a certain perception. Most people believe what the News tells them, thinking people draw their own conclusions. The point is if something seems wrong or we challenge it, we have to let them know. Otherwise they will think they are doing a good job and that's the way things really are. That's just one small way we can make a difference.:happy: Ericka

TVStevie
01-01-2007, 05:35 AM
I saw this yesterday, too.
http://www.ncbuy.com/news/2006-12-30/1013871.html
Unfortunately, we're an easy target.:Angry3:

crossing-the-rain
01-01-2007, 06:02 AM
Hi,remember we can't control someone else mind,they can say what ever they want if that is legal,the problem is how to change their wrong thinking,it's depends on ourself,our fate is in our own hand,I think is time for us to stand up, speak out and take some action to save and protect our all of us in those people who don't understand us in this world !
Anyways,have a wonderful 2007.
Rain.

Joy Carter
01-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Well I wouldn't get too upset over this. We had a local black group protest to the chief of police about so called profiling of blacks by the police. They wanted to know why "black" was always given for a "BLACK Suspect" when a description was given. They said is put them in a negative light for being black. Gee can you hear the description in the paper about a serial rapist or robber. "The victim described the perpetrator as a humanoid from an unknown origin.":rolleyes: Besides, CD's do commit crimes as well as anyone else.

lauraabdl
01-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Terri
I live in GA now and it makes me wonder why they would target CD's and not say the were dressed in costumes or dressed up like? It bugs me I have a hard enough time being enfemme in the closet wish to come out but with press like this whats a girl to do?

Lauraabdl

Chiana
01-01-2007, 10:37 AM
the south just does it to our faces(ballsy bunch of republicans huh?C/

Most of the main stream media personel (print, TV, radio) are liberals. It is their teachers who give them their hidden agenda. In the United States, 87% of all college professors are liberals. I do get irritated at the "slant" or "spin" the media tries to put on everything. I always had the naive concept that their job was to report the news, not create or manipulate the news.

Meanwhile back to the original theme of the thread. I don't know how much they expected to get in their robbery but I think a beauty parlor wouldn't be a big take but I could be wrong. Maybe they were dissatisfied customers who just wanted to get their money back. I am glad they were caught.

Chiana
01-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Well I wouldn't get too upset over this. We had a local black group protest to the chief of police about so called profiling of blacks by the police. They wanted to know why "black" was always given for a "BLACK Suspect" when a description was given. They said is put them in a negative light for being black. Gee can you hear the description in the paper about a serial rapist or robber. "The victim described the perpetrator as a humanoid from an unknown origin.":rolleyes: Besides, CD's do commit crimes as well as anyone else.

The chief should just list the suspects as being "not white, not asian, not hispanic, not american indian, etc. If he said they were tall, would tall people be offended? As for these guys who robbed the beauty parlor, I would think that they are not really cross-dressers but just tried to use that as a disguise so they would be more difficult to recognize and describe to police. I don't feel that it really negatively impacts the CD, TV, TG community as a whole.

Suzie Green
01-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I'll take a different tack and cut the robbers some slack here. Maybe as crossdressers they were feeling the anxiety that many of us feel when we try to purchase clothing, wigs, or makeup and not get all those strange looks. They were simply in the salon, trying to get a 5-finger discount on a few harmless supplies.

Oh, and they were taking the cash register simply as a ruse...to throw the authorities off track! :lol2:

TxKimberly
01-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Hey Terri....I am from GA....and you know what....aint it funny how the south seems to just make shit up as they go along....they write the news however they think it will draw attention....they dont think about what type of damage it can do to society....just what will make their ratings go up....I have seen this done with gays....blacks(you know some black boy ALWAYS did it)....mentally ill (geesh they love to get ahold of a mentally ill story)....pagans....the south....gotta love em....and its NOT just GA or the south that does this - its world wide....these are prejudices that occur world wide......the south just does it to our faces(ballsy bunch of republicans huh?)....society passing judgment as they choose....without a care in the world of the damage that they do to the individuals they hurt in the process....and for what.....ratings....all for ratings....its nice to know that a persons life is only worth ratings....this kind of shit pisses me off.....and I am sorry that this has happened....aint it great to be a southerner.....and arent you glad we grew up with those good ole southern values and those good ole southern ways.....sometimes I think yes....then I hear about things like this and am reminded of why it is I got the hell out of there when I did....try not to let it get you down....there is nothing we or anyone will ever be able to do about that "good ole boy" way of life thats lived down there.....I think its always going to be like that....chin up...somethings in life we just cant change....we just have to turn and have a deaf ear.....C/
don't think "the south" has the market cornered on this at all. I spent 12 years in the Army living all over the country, and its the same everywhere. The news will report things in the most sensational way possible. I remember my wife and I going through the main gate at Lowry Air Force Base and there were about 8 people outside protesting something or other. When we watched the news that night, they had used clever editing to make it look like there were hundreds, and I swear I'm not exaggerating.
Kim

Marcia-B
01-01-2007, 12:01 PM
How about this a new advert for holiday insurance has ladyboys stealing a mans wallet while on holiday and looking in their mirrors at a couple of hairs on their chin.

Diana West
01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I used to be a reporter. Yes, sensationalism sells. And yes, many reporters tend to be liberal.
But the problem are the conservatives in the media. Editors, managing editors, publishers, and up tend to be conservative businessmen without a sense of anything but pursuit of the all-mighty dollar.
Don't think for a second that a "liberal" reporter wrote that story without a "conservative" editor giving it a twist to spice it up.
I once got chewed out for writing a "positive" story and another time I was berated for writing too much "news and not enough fluff."
Twice I was trying to uncover corruption in a small town, but I was told to drop it. The reason: "There's too small a readership in that town. Nobody would care."
So it's not the liberal media you've got to deal with.
It's the conservative businessman who is convinced the public are morons.
Sorry about the rant, but I've got very strong opinions about the current state of the media. None of it positive.

Kate Simmons
01-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I believe you Janis. Having been a reporter, you know how it works. Besides, if it's in the News, it has to be true, right? Easier to believe what you hear rather than think for yourself. Knowing this, those that have the power use it as a platform to further their own ideas and agendas. Don't get me started though, I could rant about this all day.:rolleyes:

Diana West
01-01-2007, 12:41 PM
I believe you Janis. Having been a reporter, you know how it works. Besides, if it's in the News, it has to be true, right? Easier to believe what you hear rather than think for yourself. Knowing this, those that have the power use it as a platform to further their own ideas and agendas. Don't get me started though, I could rant about this all day.:rolleyes:

All you have to realize is their agenda is how to make more money.
And I couldn't tell you how mnay times mistakes are made in reporting (most of the times legitmately) and reporters are "told" to go ahead with it anyway.

Alice Torn
01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Both the far left , and mainstream media, and some of the right wing, have wanted to run our minds, for us. Madison Avenue, constant mind control advertising, also. Before radio, and tv, one might have encountered more commom sense, and less dumbing down, of the masses. Capitalism with no conscience, is not good. Lucille

Cheryl GG
01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
The south by no means has the market cornered....by no means....and as far as republican vs liberal.....everyone republicans - no not all....majority yea....geesh get a grip.....I am southern....okay....I grew up with this back woods way of thinking....at least they do it out right to your face....guess thats what makes most of us southerners call em like we see um......was not a declarative statement.....was just an overall personal point of view.....who is the enemy here???

Amanda Jane
01-01-2007, 04:22 PM
as long as you are not the kind of person who other would mistake for a beauty salon robber / and how dumb is that, rob banks, they have money / then what does it matter

all news and reporting has a bias if it is written by humans / so read everyone / belive no one

telawilson
01-01-2007, 04:29 PM
As a former journalist, I thought I should comment on this. The reason it was reported as such is because it's unusual. You'll never see a headline reading "Average White Guy Robs Bank." There's nothing to distinguish him. The old cliche was always "If a dog bites a man, that's not news. If a man bites a dog, that's news!"

Amanda Jane
01-01-2007, 04:47 PM
case in point - the savings and loan scandel / just keep moving on, nothing to see here

Calliope
01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey, could be worse.

Crossdressers have never started a war.

And there's been some kind of war every year since time began.

Kate Simmons
01-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Never started one DT but I'm sure we could finish one if necessary.:happy:

Amy Hepker
01-01-2007, 08:09 PM
This is exactly what I have been talking about. Bad Publicity, We don't need this. We need to make ourselves look good. We need to express to the people that these were not crossdressers, they were robbers in dresses.

Amanda Jane
01-01-2007, 08:17 PM
while i'm sure that the cd community does not need it / i'm quite sure no one in the cd community encouraged him to do it either

TxKimberly
01-01-2007, 10:29 PM
. . . it would be a wedding dress shop, and I'd need a BIG truck becuase it wouldn't be the cash I would be after! LOL

Kim (Shhh . . . you didn't see me and I didn't say that)

Diana West
01-02-2007, 01:14 PM
As a former journalist, I thought I should comment on this. The reason it was reported as such is because it's unusual. You'll never see a headline reading "Average White Guy Robs Bank." There's nothing to distinguish him. The old cliche was always "If a dog bites a man, that's not news. If a man bites a dog, that's news!"

True, it is unusual to rate a story BUT a more accurate headline would have been "MEN IN DRESSES ROB SALON." That makes it sensationalism.

Another consideration, which being a former journalist you may be aware of, is space. "CROSSDRESSERS ROB SALON" takes up less space and is less wordy.
So accuracy and integrity was sacrificed for space and sensationalism.

janedoe311
01-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I am sure they would have attracted attention!:heehee:

So being dressed up as woman makes sense.

I am sure it is not occur to the news media.