PDA

View Full Version : 11 Guidelines for Self Disclosure in the New Year

melissaK
01-02-2007, 12:04 PM
OK gang. "Telling others" was the theme of one or two New Year's Resolutions. Plenty of the boards threads touch on this issue. And I recently found a book that attempted a summary - "Guides for Self-Disclosure," (from Arlene Lev's book, Transgendered Emergence (2004) I found the book worthwhile. Almost as good as reading these forums . :heehee: . .

So, here's Arlene's list (page 285 of the book), what do you think?

[1] Prepare carefully what you will say and practice with a friend, therapist or in the mirror.
[2] Do NOT overwhelm loved ones with too much information.
[3] Do NOT show up cross-dressed, show pictures of yourself dressed, or show photos of successful surgical options when you are first disclosing.
[4] Be present for the other person and his or her issues. This is NOT about you; it is about supporting him or her.
[5] Prepare for others to be negative, and ask foolish, judgmental or even cruel questions.
[6] Keep reminding them who you have always been to them and that who you are has not changed with this disclosure.
[7] Do not act defensive or present yourself as mentally ill.
[8] Do not pretend to have answers that you do not yet have.
[9] Expect people to be inconsistent and labile in their emotional reactions.
[10] Develop a support network that will assist you through this process (therapist, peer group, electronic mailing list, etc.).
[11] Remember that it took you a long time to address your own gender issues. Do NOT expect your lover, spouse, partner, children, or parents to simply accept it all in one short talk. Coming to terms with transgenderism will take time.

I think the list is pretty darn good. A little long, but pretty good.

I'd tinker with [7] because: not being defensive deserves a line by itself; and, some of us have mental health issues as a side effect of repressing transgender issues, so we can't fully say we are not mental. I'd rewrite [7] to say: "Do NOT act defensive or present transgenderism as a mental illness."

And clearly for [10] I recommend this site. :happy:

Amanda Jane
01-02-2007, 12:33 PM
real life events need real life support / electronic boards are nice for petite support, minor problems and little things / real human stuff requires real human support / i think number 10 minus the therapy deal and the electronic stuff is all you really need

most people who know me know me because i'm like this a lot to most of the time more or less / i would hate to have to dress in a suit to tell them

#4 sadly is true that when we come out we have to support the other more then they will support us

i'm very fond of #2 in all situtions, people give too much information that is not needed about everything, not just this

and its true you don't have to do the mental illness thing / others will be only too happy to do it for you

marie354
01-02-2007, 12:44 PM
I like the list and suggested modifications. I'm going to copy that from your post, if you don't mind, and try to keep these rules in mind as I come out to more and more people in my life.
Thanks bunches.
:love: :hugs: