PDA

View Full Version : Bought an epilator!

DAVIDA
01-02-2007, 10:53 PM
And I must say........OOOWWWEEE!!!!!:(
I can't even imagine what waxing would feel like!
But, after the leg goes numb, it is not that bad. And I really like the results! Smooth! It takes a while too. About an hour per leg. I hope it doesn't take as long next time.
My sister said that it won't hurt as much the next time.
Jean said that it sounds like a weed whacker!
I hope that it is worth the time, pain, and expense.
Love ,DAVIDA

amanda barber
01-02-2007, 11:03 PM
I hope its worth it too, I'm seriously concidering one. I've been yanking hair out with tweezers in a few areas like legs and arms as a test and I like the results, less skin problems, long lasting.

What type did you get? I've been loking at a Braun Silk-epil 5270

DAVIDA
01-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Mine is a Braun Silk-epil 5295 Xelle. About $90.00 at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Glenda58
01-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Works best after a hot shower it opens the pores so the hairs come out easier. Less pain doing mine tonight.

AmyCarter
01-02-2007, 11:38 PM
The first model I ever tried some years back was a braun, not sure of the specifics though. I returned it and in place, picked up an emjoi, then returned that too and picked up a cordless emjoi. I had been using that for a couple years til I misplaced it and then got a panasonic but the redness is more severe with it, then recently I found my emjoi again and the battery's dead so it's not cordless anymore now. Seems almost like I'm going backwards. Should I now try a new braun model again? hehe
My partner helps when I decide to use the gigi wax. It just seems longer to clean up after waxing than it takes to epilate. Though the results are better with waxing and there's less redness, by far. But it's not something you can do successfully on your own.

DawnRodgers
01-03-2007, 03:27 AM
When using an epilator, it is best ifyou always use it and keep your legs (or body) hairless all of the time. It does get easier because the new hair grows in finer and, actually. some doesn't grow back in at all. After using one for over 20 years now I have very little hair on my legs, arms and underarms. Can go months with just a quick shave every now and then.
Love it.
Dawn

Terri Ryan
01-03-2007, 04:59 AM
Hi , bought myself a braun silk epil as a xmas present, haven't tried waxing but i imagine the experience would be similar. rather unpleasant while doing but the results are fantastic silky smooth skin & not as high maintenance as shaving. i'm still tyring to get up courage to do my breasts & stomach, they seem to be a lot more sensitive than arms & legs after tentative attempts but i will persevere.i find after 2 weeks i'm only doing light touch ups on missed hairs every couple of days & this only takes a few minutes, just need to find a way to be able to do my back
love
Terri

DAVIDA
01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I thought I would try it on the top of my head. Just a word on that,DON'T!!
It didn't take long for me to stop that experiment! That was some kind of pain!
DAVIDA

melissaK
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
That was some kind of pain!
DAVIDA

LOL!

TxKimberly
01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
I DOES get easier, and as others have said, less hair, and thinner hair, grows after you have epilated. So it's a win-win. Call me a wimp though, I can not epilate my upper arms or thighs - it hurts too bad for me.
IMO waxing is LES painful then epilating. It takes off larger amounts of hair faster - it doesn't drag the pain out. It's one good size "ouch" and you have a patch of clear skin! The down side to waxing is that it is MESSY!
Kim

marie354
01-03-2007, 09:58 PM
You must be young. After I hit about 40, I started loosing hair where I've always had it, like my legs, and started growing it wildly in places like my ears, nose, and really wild and long ones that seem to grow almost overnight in my eyebrows.
Just wait... It happens to us all.
:hugs:

DAVIDA
01-04-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks Marie!
I looked at your profile. You might be a year older than me, but I don't consider myself "young"!:straightface:
I have experienced all of those symptoms plus a couple that we won't discuss!
Love,DAVIDA

Tara Michele
01-04-2007, 08:52 AM
I found that the Braun epilator was just too painful for initial removal (I have a lot of hair), but after finer and more sparse hair started growing in after a good wax it worked pretty well. My biggest problem was that my leg hair seemed to "snap off" instead of coming out by the roots in many locations, so it ended up being more painful and less effective than shaving and I finally gave up. I hope that you have better luck with your epilator.

amanda barber
01-04-2007, 02:37 PM
I thought I would try it on the top of my head. Just a word on that,DON'T!!
It didn't take long for me to stop that experiment! That was some kind of pain!
DAVIDA

Can they be used on facial hair, or is there a certian type of epilator for facial hair? Or is it just a bad idea alltogether?

cathie
01-04-2007, 03:48 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's the best thing I ever bought. After awhile it won't take an hour each leg but an hour for everything including chest and underarms.

FROCKYHORROR
01-04-2007, 05:48 PM
i second Amanda's Query "Can it be used on the face..?" all the rest i'm happy just shaving but need something to get rid of the beard shadow...so any tips on that area i'd be gratefull to know?

Melinda
01-04-2007, 06:13 PM
I just bought an epilator too and it certainly does hurt like hell in places. Thighs, stomach, armpits and lower back were pretty extreme. I've had to use it every day for 3 days now to get all the hair off. I think it's gone and when I look the next day there are little 1/4 inch hairs everywhere. I can't decide if it's growing back at some kind of magical rate or if those are hairs that got missed the first time.
Oh well, it makes me really smooth and I'm looking forward to the long term effects.

Joyce1702
01-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Count me in as a happy Braun Silk Epil user!

Joyce

marisa
01-04-2007, 08:24 PM
I just did a search on epilator's. The way I see it is that the only difference between an epilator and tweezers is that epilator's have an electric motor. I have no idea how an epilator would feel on the face but I do know what tweezers feel like. It wasn't one of my brightest moments but I decided to pluck my entire face and neck. Where the finished result was great, I'm just not sure the pain and ingrown hairs were worth it. I had tears just streaming while doing my upper lip and lower lip. Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I am really thinking about electrolisis. At least the pain would be worth it.
Marisa

Scotty
01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Hmmm I may be out shopping for one tomorrow evening!!!
definitely worth it, I don't grow hair on my shins or my thighs - my jeans always just rubbed it away. But for the rest, that sounds wonderful!!!

$90 is not bad, look at the cost of razors, it'll pay for itself in just a year.

DAVIDA
01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I just got through doing my legs again. I really like the results.
Sorry, I am not about to try that thing on my face!:eek: