PDA

View Full Version : Triathlons as an Excuse to Shave

danam
01-03-2007, 12:12 AM
Anyone taken up bike riding or triathlons as an excuse to shave your legs? After all, it is a perfectly acceptable way for a straight guy to shave.

I've been getting a lot of peer pressure on this forum to get rid of the fuzz on my legs. :o Maybe I should get into triathlons, swimming, or biking, so I can shave? :cheeky:

Yes, of course, I could tell my SO about my desire to wear her clothes--yeah, yeah, that's the right thing to do...etc, etc. But it will be an altogether unpleasant experience, and I'd prefer to put that off for as long as possible. So maybe I should buy a bike and ride a lot so I can shave my legs? :tongueout

Scotty
01-03-2007, 12:17 AM
You don't need an excuse, just shave them and well, either she'll like it or she won't and you'll know ??

Having not faced that issue I'm not sure, but I just shave mine and to heck with what the public thinks :)

I'd say just do it unless your wife would have issues with it, another girl here shaved her legs and her wife liked it, so ya never know......

rye_ginger
01-03-2007, 12:32 AM
As a swimmer and a cyclist I can say that you have to be extremely competetive to legitimately need to shave your legs. People in that walk of life would unfortunately label you as a poser. It's a weak excuse; just tell her you thought it would be sexy to shave and see if she likes it. Maybe start with other body hair too gauge her reaction.

Joanne_'jojo'
01-03-2007, 01:20 AM
As a former triathlete, coming from a cycling background. I have to say "Go for it!".

You know the actual reason that most cyclists give for shaving, is that it reduces road rash should you be unfortunate enough to unceremoniously come to rest upon the pavement.
No hair to get yanked out at the root whilst sliding on the asphalt. This one could work.

The second reason is that it makes the teams masseur's job easier, but you'd pretty much have to be professional to get a post ride massage.

The other reason is it looks just so darn cool.

I've shaved my legs pretty much since there was hair there to shave. Now I wax or use cream, would love to get them professionally waxed, maybe a birthday treat :)

Joanne.

trannie T
01-03-2007, 01:26 AM
I gave up excuses quite a while ago. I shave my legs, nobody ever makes a comment about it, if they were to I'd say something like, "I like them this way."

ABJanel
01-03-2007, 04:09 AM
I have very little body hair so I havent a clue how people would react if I started to suddenly shave. but I think not just in swimming or cycling people shave, anyone serious about any sort of exercise might also want to shave...show off those "shapely" muscles..:heehee:

Sedona
01-03-2007, 08:09 AM
As a swimmer and a cyclist I can say that you have to be extremely competetive to legitimately need to shave your legs. People in that walk of life would unfortunately label you as a poser. It's a weak excuse; just tell her you thought it would be sexy to shave and see if she likes it. Maybe start with other body hair too gauge her reaction.

I tend to agree. If you don't have lots of training miles under your belt, and the body to match, this particular excuse for shaving won't hold much water I'm afraid. But, the bright side of it is, you get to go buy a new bike, or pool membership, and get some great exercise for your heart, mind, and body, then shave to your heart's content this coming summer.

Danam, I know what you mean as far as the peer pressure on this forum. It's often easy for some to say, "the heck what anybody thinks, shave yourself, dress completely, including makeup, and walk into work/school proudly declaring that you'd like to be known as ______ from now on." I for one, go hairy for perhaps eight months a year. The other four months, my girlfriend lets me get away with varying amounts of body waxing and shaving.

Compromise is the key, but I do have to say, that if you are in love with your SO, and see plans for the future, you'll want to build up the courage to tell him/her of your CDing.

Good luck,

SherriePall
01-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Seems like a lot of work and sweat just to be able to shave. We have to think of reasons that require less work. Maybe like contacting the dreaded CrowDyno disease which causes us to shed bodily hair.

darling_felicity
01-03-2007, 08:22 AM
What is the reason that makes it dodgy for men to shave their legs? In a tru;y equal world it shouldn't matter- but it does. I've just quoted hygiene as a reaon for shaving my ass and balls and in-grown hairs for shaving my ankles. I have just returned to cycling- soon all will be silky and smooth- and I will be even more of a girl!!!! Yahoo!!!!

Sedona
01-03-2007, 08:44 AM
What is the reason that makes it dodgy for men to shave their legs? In a tru;y equal world it shouldn't matter- but it does. I've just quoted hygiene as a reaon for shaving my ass and balls and in-grown hairs for shaving my ankles. I have just returned to cycling- soon all will be silky and smooth- and I will be even more of a girl!!!! Yahoo!!!!

True, there is a double standard, and it can be a bummer I know. But, things like this vary wildly by region. What's going to fly with an average girlfriend in West Hollywood isn't going to float with the same in St. George, Utah or Fayette, Alabama (yes, I've been to all three places).

bikini02
01-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I swim every day, but I have not shaved my legs completely I'd like to but I fear that my wife and children would not be supportive. Good luck with your decission.

Emma England
01-03-2007, 08:58 AM
It's your body, so shave if you want.

Why do you need any excuse?

Hair on legs (or any other body part) now serves no purpose.

Our ancestors may have needed it for protection, but that no longer applies - besides the hair is not long enough for that anyway today.

You shave your face to look and feel nicer. The same applies to your legs.

suzy
01-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Dana,

I say yes..... go bicycling...and shave... run and shave...dance and shave... just exercise and shave... both will make you feel and look much better!!!:love:

b_hewish
01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
if you swim thats a good excuse because shaved legs help you move though the water faster :thumbsup:

Amanda Jane
01-03-2007, 10:15 AM
that seems like a lot of work

Suzie Green
01-03-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm a long time cyclist, a triathlete, and a 2-time Ironman finisher...and I've been shaving my legs for 30 years. You can use it as an excuse, but really, I've never noticed anyone paying that much attention to my legs because they were shaved. Lot of body builders do it as well, and even some general fitness junkies. Personally, I'd just do it for the satisfaction it gives you that you are looking your best. I like having shaved legs. I think they are easier to keep clean, even though there is a bit more maintenance! :rolleyes:

cathie
01-03-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm a very serious cyclist and tri-athlete but it's never been my excuse. I've just liked smooth legs. Hair looks dirty especially after sweating.

ToyGirl
01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
worth it just for the lycra !

JoAnnDallas
01-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I shave my legs, arms, chest, and underarms. I have never hid it from my wife and she has not even noticed. I have gone out wearing shorts and t-shirt and no one else seems to notice.

So I saw go ahead and just do it. I bet she will not even notice.

Casey Morgan
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I've been getting a lot of peer pressure on this forum to get rid of the fuzz on my legs. :o

And if we all jumped off a bridge wearing blue satin ballgowns, would you do that too? You have to do what's right for you. If you didn't feel that pressure to shave, would you? If not then don't do it.