PDA

View Full Version : Who's been to a salon to get their nails done?

Leslie(TV)
01-23-2005, 12:11 PM
As a nail tech, I had alot of males 'joke' about getting their nails done while I was working. I wonder how many were secretly serious. :D

How many would mind getting their nails done by a male?

Tristen Cox
01-23-2005, 12:27 PM

I suppose it wouldn't really matter, I just prefer a woman's touch ;)

ChristineRenee
01-23-2005, 01:07 PM
I prefer the girls...always look forward to dishin' the dirt with them!:D

Hugs & Kisses,
Christine Renee

Tamara Croft
01-23-2005, 01:56 PM
When I was training at college, we had a salon in the college. It's open to the public everyday. You would be amazed at how many men actually came in to have their nails done, facials but mostly massage :D But men do need educating. When I first met Tammy (she will kill me now) her nails were AWEFUL!!!!!!!!!!! They were bitten, had cuticles that had grown pretty bad on the nails, not to mention dry skin and dry hands. You should see her nails now, they look amazing.... better than mine... her hands are soft and in excellent condition (Maybe she got sick of me slapping her for biting her nails :D).

Tamara x

DanaJ
01-23-2005, 02:29 PM
When I was "working" at that big spa/salon, they had 4 or 5 nail techs working there, all female. I was friends for a short time with a nail instructor, she told me that males usually make a good living doing nails, as most women like a male nail tech.

Me? I only use female techs, same for female massage therapists too. Now that I think of it, I have a female doctor and dentist also. Hmmmm - I also just prefer a female touch, and I have a difficult time doing femme things in front of males.

So - Leslie, how is your business as a male nail tech? Do you do all nail services, or specialize in natural or artificial nails? What product do you use? Do you work in a general salon, or nail salon?

DanaJ

Leslie(TV)
01-23-2005, 04:26 PM
Dana J- Mani's, pedi's, artifical and nail art. I work in a beauty salon. They have a seperate room for nails (the smell) and a pedicure chair by the sinks. I like OPI and Creative acrylics, and OPI polish is in my opinion the BEST!

But I have to agree, I prefer getting MY nails done by a female. :D

Holly
01-23-2005, 04:48 PM
As a nail tech, I had alot of males 'joke' about getting their nails done while I was working. I wonder how many were secretly serious. :D

Had them done by both males and females. Didn't mind either one. Maybe slightly favor the girls. Lots of nail people in this part of the country are Vietnamese. They seem to have a light touch.

DanaJ
01-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Dana J- Mani's, pedi's, artifical and nail art. I work in a beauty salon. They have a seperate room for nails (the smell) and a pedicure chair by the sinks. I like OPI and Creative acrylics, and OPI polish is in my opinion the BEST!

But I have to agree, I prefer getting MY nails done by a female. :DI like OPI polishes too (and Nicole), but my current tech prefers China Glaze and Essie. Have you seen or tried that "Acryli-gel" yet? It combines both acrylic and gel. My tech used that for a repair on me, that stuff worked pretty good too. Yeah, Creative is good, my tech is a Master Tech for Creative.... and she is a gel master! That's what she has me on now, I love her http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/460749/1luvu.gif

DanaJ

ChristineRenee
01-23-2005, 09:03 PM
I like OPI polishes too (and Nicole), but my current tech prefers China Glaze and Essie. Have you seen or tried that "Acryli-gel" yet? It combines both acrylic and gel. My tech used that for a repair on me, that stuff worked pretty good too. Yeah, Creative is good, my tech is a Master Tech for Creative.... and she is a gel master! That's what she has me on now, I love her http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/460749/1luvu.gif

DanaJ Hi Leslie & Dana,

I had the OPI polishes for the first time on my last visit and really liked them. I'll have to ask them about the Acryli-gel on my next visit.

Oh...and I prefer the female techs for all the services they provide.

Hugs & Kisses,
Christine Renee

DonnaT
01-23-2005, 10:05 PM
As a matter of fact. My wife and I visted a nail salon at the mall, Tyson's II, today. She wanted French tips. The tech asked me if I wanted mine done too. I showed her mine were already done, using OPI "Pink-ing of you". She smiled.

OPI goes on so smooth and evens itself out also. Then the "rapid dry" spray set the polish real well. My nails didn't even chip while I was doing the dishes this morning.

Bad news? After we had left, we went to Michael's Craft Store closer to home. My wife broke a thumb nail. We then went over to the Ulta store and got some nail glue to fix it. After that we went to Sam's Club to get groceries. I broke two nails! Oh well, they'll grow back. The nail glue came in handy for both of us though.

Good news? Bought two pink sweaters for myself and one black and one blue one for my wife at Sam's. One is called an eyelash sweater because it is fuzzy, and very soft.

Rikki
01-24-2005, 01:27 AM
I have never had my nails done, guess I will have to have them done someday. I tried to polish them one time and made such a mess of it I sad no more. Someday I would like to get the nerve to go into a solon and have them done.

Rikki

Billie
01-24-2005, 08:06 PM
I had my nails done 2 years ago for Halloween. Nice french manicure with tips. The only employees were men. Had them done at the same time as my wife, she didn't like them, I can't wait for my next chance to have them done. Not many people noticed for the 3 weeks or so they stayed on.

nikky
01-24-2005, 11:43 PM
i have never had a professional mani or pedi. i would love to get the courage to do so but i live in a small town and bla bla bla. i have had girlfriends paint my nails a few times though and i love it. i really should consider the french manicure because i guess people wouldnt notice that much. i would love them so much i would neve want to take them off. i just know it

wendy4335
01-26-2005, 02:58 AM
When my wife goes out of town for more than 4-5 days I usually take vacation time and go to my secret nail salon about 20 miles from the house (being careful not to "bump" into any of our female friends). A Vietnamese gal has done my nails four times, never asks questions and always treats me like she would a woman. I go dressed as a guy and you should see the looks I get when I'm sent to the front of the shop to hold my nails under the fan to dry! I've had a french manicure three times and around the holidays had a cherry red color applied. Only once did my wife mention something as I hadn't gotten all of the white acrylic off prior to boarding a plane to meet her in Arizona...I mentioned I had been helping someone paint and she bought it, but it was heart-stopping for a few minutes. I absolutely adored waking up and seeing my lovely 1/2" french manicure!

DanaJ
01-26-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi Wendy - welcome to the forum! That is great about getting your nails done! May I ask how you get the acrylic off in the first place? Do you always have your natural nails 1/2 inch long? It seems to me if you still had the white acrylic on for a French manicure, since that goes on over the nail tip, that the nail tips would still be on also..... just curious....

DanaJ

Wendy me
01-26-2005, 08:22 AM
i would just love to have my nails done thay grow fast ............but of reasent events
that would not be such a good idear..............................

MichelleH
02-23-2005, 06:18 PM
I've been considering getting my nails done at a salon, not for a special occasion but for everyday wear. Does anybody know if acrylics (or other types) of artificial nails can be done to look just like a natural nail?

MichelleH