PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad press for CD's?

Chiana
01-04-2007, 02:18 PM
While channel surfing, I came accross some show about girls competing to be chosen as a future model. This show was on VH1. The host was some guy that was a Tele Savalas look-alike and he was sending these girls out to get clothes. He had on a full flowing orange dress, matching jacket over a white blouse. And he was running up and down Hollywood Blvd shouting "lets go girls". "Shop, shop, shop". And he was twirling the dress around like a Flaminco dancer while he was prancing around. Quite a sight for sure.

To my eye, this seems like bad press for CD's. What do you think?

Sharon
01-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I don't think the manner in which one person dresses reflects on anyone, excepting themselves.

JulieC
01-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Depends. Sounds like he might have been making a mockery of it.

Translate to ftm; female host dressed up in combat boots tie, business suit running down a street saying "come on boys!".

I dunno.

It's easy to hate that which is different.

Amanda Jane
01-04-2007, 02:30 PM
i doubt that on hollywood blvd he even stood out

Kate Simmons
01-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Maybe he was just bored.:happy:

Lisa Golightly
01-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Least he's out and about :)

Bethanygirl
01-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I think it is only bad press for the host's sense of style?

anda_mouse
01-04-2007, 04:48 PM
i wouldnt consider it so.

melissaK
01-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Well, let's see if I get this right, a flaming drag queen character is hired as a draw to get VH1 viewers? It'll never work - Kenny Kerr be quiet! You too Frank Marino. Really, places like Lucky Chengs in Vegas have no success at all. :heehee: Wait, YOU watched it. Dang. It might work after all.

And it'll ruin it for us hetero CDers. People will think we are soooo drab - unless we pass of course. Then who will know besides the Shadow. . . . no wait that's about the eveil that lurks in men . . . I think I need to go, I feel a blond moment coming on :heehee:

Amy07
01-04-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm all for free expression as long as the unwilling never get hurt, but I see that television and the internet, especially the internet, lump all the possible "nontraditional" gender groups into one pot. Google "crossdressers" and see what happens......

People in one "group", for lack of a better word, or other get the wrong impression, if you will, of the other groups. I don't want to be "classified" into any group, and think most of you don't either. That's what the television show you brought up does, I think.

CarmenG
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Well my take;
aside from the norm, this subject has appeared since Al Gore invented the internet :rolleyes:
To con the old cliche, you see one, you've seen them all. The unfortunate thing is that this view is so very true. Those of us who choose to stay behind the closet door have feeling of sadness, fustration, and even anger when we see other more " ADVANCED " crossdressers. The flaming gays ones, the exixbitioninst, the " LOONEY TUNE " ones and so on.
My My what is a girl to do??????:heehee:

Angie G
01-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Seemsike bad taste to me :hugs:
Angie

Angela E.
01-04-2007, 07:37 PM
I don`t know.......Sounds like he was mocking us but I would have to have seen it myself to be sure. I agree Angie,bad taste at the least.:hugs: Angela.:cheers: :doll: :cheer:

Sierra Evon
01-04-2007, 07:42 PM
I don't think the manner in which one person dresses reflects on anyone, excepting themselves.

Ditto :happy:

Joy Carter
01-04-2007, 07:43 PM
I don`t know.......Sounds like he was mocking us but I would have to have seen it myself to be sure. I agree Angie,bad taste at the least.:hugs: Angela.:cheers: :doll: :cheer:

Are you sure GG's don't think we are mocking them +? My self I think "mocking" is the most sincere form a flattery.:heehee:

marie354
01-04-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't ever watch music channels anymore, and after reading this, it confirms my decision. I don't think that really would affect who we are. As far as advertising... Very poor indeed.
:hugs:

Andrea Nicole
01-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi,
No one really pays attention to what anyone thinks, says, or does west of the Rocky Mountains. They don't call it la-la land for nothin'.
Take Care,
Andi...

Deanna2
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
The large majority of people have preconceptions about most things - usually in complete ignorance of whatever it it may be. CDing is no exception. I would have to wonder what could be good press for CD's to the ill-informed masses.

linnea
01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
I don't think that it is bad press. I do think, from what you have described, that it may have been mocking. I doubt that it made much serious impact related to the attitudes of the general public about crossdressing. And I don't think that it really matters what the host of the show was wearing--we need to have people stretch our sensibilities.

Jestina
01-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Only time for a short post, but I would like to seee a LOT more of this type of stuff.

I would love to see a hetro crss dresser who looks passable host a show.
Lots of you on this forum look great.
Some better than others, Ericka/Rich,,,every photo/avatar change you look better and better.
And Karen,,,(Oops forgot the full handle sorry been away a while)
Karen: I am just jealous of you,
and then there is so many others that look great, a hetro cd host even a flamboyant one would be fantastic press.

Honestly...Jestina!

Rachel Morley
01-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I didn't see the show but he just sounds like a camp gay guy to me... what's wrong with that? People often (wrongly) assume that gay = effeminate and vice versa. Is that part of what you mean? or was it that he was wearing women's clothes but apparently wasn't doing what cders are supposed to do?

Sorry for being dense :(

Amanda Jane
01-04-2007, 09:48 PM
of course / the option is / go create good press on your own / if not / who are you to say

and the people in ny&cali / they don't call the midwest 'fly over people' for nothing / if you mattered / media would be there / not in nyc&la

janet p
01-04-2007, 10:43 PM
I totally agree with Bethanygirl!! :love:

Diana West
01-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Have you ever seen the play "Chicago?"

The only bad press that exists is for those who would use it against us. Its fodder for them. You'll never change their opinions.
Those who think for themselves would disregard it anyway.
I would say most of the press that is out there is open to interpretation.

You can only persuade someone who has an open mind.

Bad press? Nah. It is what it is. Entertainment.