PDA

View Full Version : Zip! Zap! Eeeeyow!

Teresa Amina
01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
My third session of beard removal was today at American Laser Center in Grand Rapids, Mich. The new laser unit has arrived, specially built for American Laser, using their combo of light and rf waves to zap the hairs. Set slightly higher than last time on the old unit the difference was noticeable from the start, even the greys feeling the pulse, and the odor of burning hairs accompanied the sizzle feeling as they died along with their darker kin. And today I found my pain threshold. As we moved from the never thick cheeks to the chin it became rather uncomfortable. But "no pain, no gain" and I toughed it out. Until the upper lip, that is! A nice thick nest of dark hairs just under my left nostril exploded in a little too much pain:eek: Eeeeyow! :eek: I had her turn it down a bit for the last few pulses down the right side. But, hey! A couple hairs from the Owie area popped out immediately! Very cool (actually very Hot!:D ) Halfway through now, and I should see some good clearing from this time if the sensation is any clue.:happy:

Rachel Morley
01-04-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm having laser hair removal at the moment (I have my forth session in a few weeks time) and your story sounds just like mine.....a painful hot spiky feeling that is worse on some areas of the face (especially upper lip) than others but in the end all the pain will be worth it if those pesky hairs are gone for good and I get less shadow under foundation. :happy:

Regina
01-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Congratulations!... and keep going! you will like the results as you progress through the treatments, i finished my eighth treatment this week, as your beard thins out you feel the zap a little less it's still painfull but not nearly as much like when you were first starting out with a full beard.

Regina

Sally24
01-07-2007, 09:38 AM
I feel your pain! Any kind of work on that upper lip is sheer pain. I am doing electrolysis and it's the same with that as the laser. I've toughed it out so far but might use the topical pain killer if it gets too much for me in the future.

It's worth it though! The other day I tried just lipstick and mascara while I was dressing at the house and it was almost good enough to go out in! When I go out now, I just get a close shave and put on light foundation. It has really helped my look and I can't wait to get to the point of no shaving!

Keep your eye on the goal.

Sally

these are just with very light foundation

Amy Hepker
01-07-2007, 10:21 AM
I always wondered if it wasn't a little painful. Maybe they should use laughing gas like the dentists. You know I don't know why they don't use it more often, like at the hospital. That is a real good question in my book. I guess they just think that if you are injured you should just endure the pain. I myself don't like pain.

ToyGirl
01-07-2007, 12:32 PM
i found it wasnt to painfull , certainly uncomfortable , but i'd take laser over the dentist anyday.

To simulate the procedure , put on some safety goggles , lay on your back , burn some hair with a lighter and flick yourself in the face with a large elastic band.

*Repeat for 30 minutes*

marie354
01-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I really hate shaving my face 1-2 times a day and have thought about doing something like this. Is it affordable to the average joe/jane?

Kate Simmons
01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
In a word Teresa--Ouch! I know you dislike shaving but you have such a nice beard when you let it grow. Whatever makes you happy though, you are my friend. I feel you are a better woman(or man) than I am for being willing to endure that though.:hugs: :happy:

Jena11
01-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, good luck on the rest of the treatments. I have not had much issue. but I did hear that American Laser can remove the greys, which I never knew I had until after a few laser treatments. I have a few stray black hairs but that is all that is left now. and of course a few more hairs by the nose and the bottom lip. They seem to be a problem area for everyone. I am going to to to an American Laser center and get the greys gone. I can not wait. by the way I have had 11 treatments on my face and neck. Jena:o

Teresa Amina
01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Is it affordable to the average joe/jane?

Not too bad, and they have payment plans like everything else nowadays. Works out to something like $300 a session and they will touch up the stragglers for two years after.:happy:

MarieTS
01-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Girls, did you have to let your facial hairs grow out to certain length in order to have them zapped?

Teresa Amina
01-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I feel your pain! Any kind of work on that upper lip is sheer pain.

Luckily that's mostly dark, along the jaw and cheeks are many white hairs which will probably survive and need the Electro'. Laser is a good start, thins out the easily killed ones and will reduce the number of hours needed for the pesky whities. Ooooh! And I had a coupon for 10% off!:happy:

Girls, did you have to let your facial hairs grow out to certain length in order to have them zapped?

Actually you have to shave them close for the laser to get them. They spread a gel on your face first then get zapping.

In a word Teresa--Ouch! I know you dislike shaving but you have such a nice beard when you let it grow

From your Eric pictures I'd say yours would be much better if you grew it out for a month. But that's not where either of us are at right now. The beard was too much of a wall to hide from myself behind.