PDA

View Full Version : Eyeglasses! Suggestions??

cemab4y
01-05-2007, 03:02 AM
How do you girls use/cope with eyeglasses? I have a prescription, but I see reasonably well without glasses. I prefer to wear glasses, when I am driving, and when I go to a sporting event (like horseracing).

Do you wear "feminine" frames? Seems to me, that frames with light colors, rhinestones,etc. would enhance the feminine illusion. Even "fake" lenses, with no prescription, are sometimes worn as a disguise.

I have been thinking about taking my prescription down to Lenscrafters, and ordering a set of "femme" eyeglasses. Have any of you done this? How do the salespeople react, when a male goes into an eyeglasses shop, and orders a set of feminine eyeglasses?

ToyGirl
01-05-2007, 03:20 AM
long as they suit your face it shouldnt matter. I had no issues buying female glasses in 'boy mode'

GINA-CD
01-05-2007, 03:24 AM
I have the same problem as you, but I haven't had the time to have them made with my prescription. I don't think there's a problem at all.... I even think it's a great idea because sometimes that might help you to accomplish the perfect look, say for example the Executive Assistant... sexy with her glasses.... :winking:

Rebecca_Annette
01-05-2007, 04:03 AM
I don't have that problem I wear contacts and they are more or less 'asexual'

Rita Knight
01-05-2007, 04:28 AM
Hi Cheryl,
So long as you have your prescription and know how to measure your face versus eyeglasses size, I would recommend trying: http://www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com/ I myself know that for me the first number in the glasses size must be at least 52mm. The great thing about them is that I pay about $45 for a pair of glasses with lenses and delivery. This is where I get my drag style glasses. Also check their Ebay listings, there are frames there that are not on the main website. If you have questions, do call them.

Tracy_Victoria
01-05-2007, 04:53 AM
I have numerous pairs of ladies glasses (see my avitar) which I use when dressing, and I have near 20/20 vision. To me the glasses are just another part of my arsenal, in the illusion of trying to looking totally different. Also people don't expect people to be wearing fake glasses for the effect, ie most do so out of need over using them as a fashion accessory.

I've bought most of mine from charity shops, Ebay, and in the UK even car boot sales. All are fitted with clear plastic lenses. the demo clear plastic ones they come with are more than good enough if you don't need a prescription to correct your eyesight.

Some times the demo lenses come with printed logos on, but these can be removed very easily 99% of the time with some spirit cleaner, ie white spirit, meths, or even nail varnish remover. if you get some that don't come of easy (and I got 3 pairs recently) where the ink would not budge, you can use a low abrasive polish to clean the lenses and polish off the ink, or polish out any scratches as well. (in the uk Tcut does the job well) but it a lot of work, so be warned.

Also if you really need to replace them or have frames and no lenses, pop along to the Optician and ask if they have any old ones spare, as all they do is throw them in the bin.

ArleneRaquel
01-05-2007, 05:42 AM
I have gotten to that stage in life were I go to the optometrist totally enfemme,they know me and know the type of female lenses, color , design, that I like.I have gone enfemme on my last two visits. It is a Pearle Outlet. I have about a dozen lady frames and prescription lenses. To my way of think a girl needs as many types of frames as she does outfits, and moods. I find that glasses can be a great fashion accessary, especially for that of us ladies who are mature. Trina

Robin Leigh
01-05-2007, 05:51 AM
I always wear glasses in boy mode, so not wearing glasses is a disguise for me. I usually wear disposable contact lenses when I dress, but my glasses are sufficiently gender-neutral if I do decide to wear them instead.

In my early days, I used to go out without glasses or contacts. Scary!:)

Robin

susie evans
01-05-2007, 11:23 AM
i go to lens crafters it takes about 1 to two hours and your on your way i usualy shop in the mall while there being made :thumbsup:

Melinda G
01-05-2007, 11:50 AM
I have contacts to wear when I'm dressed. But if you have your prescription, go to www.39dollarglasses.com and order anything you want. I have ordered 4 pairs of glasses from them, and I am totally satisfied. The markup on glasses at the optometrists would blow your mind.

vbcdgrl
01-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Like you, I wear glasses in drab mode, but can see pretty well without 'em. Actually, my distant uncorrected vision has improved over the years. When en femme, I don't wear my glasses, but carry 'em in the car "just in case". The frame style is masculine, so they would look weird if I wore 'em en femme. I do carry a pair of cheap femme style sunglasses which I wear when driving en femme in the daytime.

Vikki

suchacutie
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I wear glasses as well, and unless your prescription is unusual, it is likely that the over-the-counter glasses in most drug/grocery stores will work for most situations. Those glasses range from "guy" to neutral to "girl", and if you don't like them in the long run not a lot of money has been spent.

tina

Di
01-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Go on...buy whatever catches your fancy no one will bat an eye....they are on commision...and a sale is a sale......we never thought a thing...and it happens alot more than you think...so go on...have fun.....let us know what you decide on.

JoAnnDallas
01-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I don't wear glasses anymore. I had MonoLazic, but I still need reading glasses when I need real close up stuff, like looking a circuit board. For normal reading I don't need them. I went down the local drugstore and bought a pair of real low powered reading glasses. The only ones they had that were real low power was a pair of ladies reading glasses. Wife thinks they look cute on me when I do use them. Otherwize I have three pair of Polar Sunglasses that the eye doc gave me. They are unisex, since he gives them to all his patients. They are a wrap around style and really helps hide my face some when I'm out enfem.

Cyndie
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
I have worn glasses everyday for the past 48 years, so they are a part of me. The last time I got new glasses I bought some gender-neutral ones. They are the same as my wife's only in a different color. I did buy feminine glasses once. When in with my perscription, picked the frams, had them fitted, went back paid my money, took the glasses and no said a word about the sytle of frame. They were cheep and I broke them, so they are gone.

My thoughts, if you got the $'s, go buy the glasses.

TTFN
Cyndie

EricaCD
01-05-2007, 02:13 PM
As you can see, I wear glasses in most of my photos. I went down to LensCrafters and told them exactly what I needed; they could not have been nicer. I went in guy mode, figuring (correctly) that the main thing I needed to find were frames that suited the shape of my face.

(If you are morbidly curious as to details, if you go way back my blog to probably the 15th or so entry, I wrote all about the experience.)

Online eyeglasses retailers are perfectly fine, and often MUCH cheaper, but you really need to have a super-clear idea as to what you are looking for.

Good luck!
Erica

Marcie Sexton
01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I just got my new prescription and when they showed me the frames, I ask for unisex frames...

The poor dear was taken aback, but then I produced a page straight out of LUCKY...They carried those frames and said she didn't realize they were classified as unisex frames...covered all my concerns...

Ask you'd be surprised what is carried in the line of unisex frames...

Mitzi
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
The first two pairs of femme glasses I bought were from an optometrist who advertized in a tg oriented magazine. I went en drab, he picked the frames. I didn't think they were very flattering, but when en femme, they really worked well. Guess he knew what he was doing.

I've gone out en femme a lot, but still feel uncomfortable buying things like glasses where I have to give personal info. The last pair, the ones I'm wearing in my avatar, were purchased online from Zenni Optical. Wasn't sure whether they'd work, but for the price, what's to lose... Well, they turned out just fine! But as Rita says, you have to know the measurements for the frames.

I did go to a Lenscrafters en femme beforehand, just to try on different frames, but with no intention of buying. Don't know whether they read me or not, but treated me like any other customer.

Mitzi

Deidra Cowen
01-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I don't need them but wear them to get my 'middle aged chick' look going when I am in da mood for that. Believe it or not I got the ones you see in my avatar at a thrift store for like five bucks! That and my fur coat I got at the Thrift are my all time fav bargins that I have gotten.

But on a more serious note like others are saying just go to lenscrafters or a place like that if you need the lens calibrated for your eyesight.

Elizabeth Anne
01-05-2007, 10:44 PM
I have had two different pairs of femme glasses. The first pair I just had my prescription duplicated with frames I picked out at Lenscrafters. The pair I have now I went in & told the lady who is the office manager/assistant to the doctor that I always deal with for my male glasses that I was a crossdresser & I needed some female frames. She was super & we tried on several frames till we found the right ones for me. I actually let her make the decission which ones looked the best.

Lanore
01-06-2007, 06:26 AM
My glasses are all womens frames. I like the womens styles and colors. You just have to make sure they fit your face. I prefer large frames. I just feel comfortable buying most anything these days.

Lanore

Joy Carter
01-06-2007, 06:31 AM
I had an exam at Sears then ordered mine on line for eighty bucks. They look and fit just fine. Sears wanted five hundred bucks for glasses.

Mn.Marilyn
01-06-2007, 08:02 AM
I just ordered a pair of glasses from 39dollarglasses.com they will be here next Wednesday the10th. I will let you know how that works out. The price was much less than going to a optical store. You will have to know your precription.

Carroll
01-06-2007, 08:07 AM
most of my glasses are more of a femm look than male, but since that has been my style for some long nobody thinks twice about it

sue ellan
01-06-2007, 08:56 AM
i went to walmart and ordered glasses with ladies frames. they were very nice. the eye dr did'nt ask any questions and helped me pick out frames. they look nice and help me look like a girl. hope that this helps.
sue ellan

life is like a roll of tp. the closer to the end the faster it goes.

Alysin CD
01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I went into the eyeglass store, picked out a sunglass frame & the most feminine frames they had & gave them my prescription. They never batted an eyelash. It's all about the sales.

Alysin