PDA

View Full Version : Buying a bra...

Tricia_cd
01-05-2007, 04:11 PM
I have found it very difficult to determine what size bra to wear. I bought a 40C but it was tight across the chest, and the cups were stretched taught as well. Made it difficult to fill the cups with cotton. I guess all those weights I lifted are coming back to haunt me now....LOL.
Any tips on how to buy a bra? I don't want to buy those gawdawful Wal Mart old lady iron jobs, with the 6" straps either....
I am still a tad shy to ask for the change room, with 3 bras in hand.....(laffing).

I wear a large golf shirt, chest is about 40" 42-44 fully expanded......

HELP!!!

Thanks,

Tricia~~

Helen in OK
01-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Tricia,

I am close to your situation. My chest measurement is 39. Originally I bought 38 C bras and they fit and worked ok, but the amount of skin bulging over the top of the bra band bothered me. I then purchased a 40 C and it fits also, but still has too much bulge. I think I try a 42 C bra, next. If this works, then I won't have to follow the chest measurement + 4" +1" if the result is odd (of course it is going to be odd, I have a male body:D) and get a 44 C bra.

The 40 C bra I purchased is an exercise bra, only about $10 US from Target.

Hope this helps.

Helen in OK

Lanore
01-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Someone may have already suggested this. When you pick out the bras you want to try on, pick up a golf shirt and when you go to try it on, take your bras in with you. Don't act like you are stealing something, just go in and try them on. That may help take away the pressure.

Lanore

Stephenie S
01-06-2007, 10:17 AM
OK Trish, you have a 40 and it's too small. Buy a 42 and try that. If you leave the tags on you can bring it back. Or try a 42 and a 44. There is just NO substitute for trying them on. I have sometimes brought 6 or 7 bras back after trying them on. There is no way I can tell you what size bra to buy over the internet. You have to try them on. Bras come in hundreds of styles and sizes (make that thousands). This is because everyone's body is a bit different (Duh), and everyone has different ideas of what they want in a bra. Ya just gotta experiment.

Now, there are many size charts and instructions for measuring on various shopping sites. Try "One Hanes Place" to start. These instructions will only be usefull as a starting point, though. I would also look for a good quality bra from a good quality manufacturer such as BALI. Victorias Secret unfortunately does not carry bras in large sizes. I think their largest is a 38.

So get out there dear and buy, buy, buy. It's fun too.

Lovies,
Stephenie

rorylm
01-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I have found that Lane Bryant stores are pretty accepting of crossdressers. I had a good experience with the store in Northgate Mall in Durham, NC. The saleslady there took me into the dressing room, measured me and then brought me several bras to try on. Found that a 46C was the most comfortable for me.

Give them a try.

BTW I did call them first to see if they were CD friendly.

Billijo49504
01-08-2007, 09:12 PM
You will find that most Lane Bryant stores are D friendly, but some don't know how to fit a bra on a guy. But they will try and then give you several to try on. That is the deciding factor. If it feels good, it probably is right..BJ

jennifer easton
01-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Trish we have the same thing workin trouble is the bras in our size , I'm a 42B wich is almost unatanable in anythig but grandma bras, a C is to big and a 40B is to tight, I went to a 44B and have found some sexy ones in this size, so what I'm saying is you just have to keep looking till you find your brand and style, see buy the time GG get are age they have found what works for them it's called growing up, we have to jam 20-30 years of tril and errors in to 2-3-4 years! geeeeeeeeeees I'm rambling xoxoxoJennifer

Rachel Morley
01-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi Tricia,

Am I right in thinking that you want a bra that you can wear under your clothes in boy mode? I say this because you said that you wear a large golf shirt.

IMHO it's fairly easy to wear a bra under your clothes without detection. Here's what I suggest.

1) Pick a bra that is a seamless micro fiber stretch type that also has thin straps and no little buckles in the back or lace edged cups. Pick one that that stretches across your pectoral muscle rather than one that has a shaped cup.

2) Choose a loose fitting, preferably dark colored shirt in cotton.

3) Try not to bend over or round your back too much. There's a slim chance that where the band hooks in the back will show a small bump if you do.

However, let's be honest, you can get away with such a lot without anyone noticing at all. I personally do wear a micro fiber type, but I don't follow my own advice about lace or buckles. Some of my favorite bras, that I wear all the time, have lace cups and buckles showing little bumps on my shoulders. Also, I don't always wear dark colored shirts. I wear what I want to wear and even find that a slightly showing bra strap through my clothes is never actually perceived as a bra strap by anyone. People only see what they want to see, at least, that's to say I've never had any problems.

Good luck.

Stephenie S
01-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Dear Angel,

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you about people noticing your bra straps. If no one is saying anything they may just be too polite to mention it. I do not wear a bra to work (don't really need one yet) but I wear a cami all the time, every day. My camis have small buckels on the straps in back to adjust the length of the straps just like bras do. Yesterday one of my co-workers said, "You know, we all know you wear a cami." So there went my discretion. No one had ever said anything before and I have been wearing them since it started to get cold, probably arround early October.

BTW, I really enjoy wearing a cami. It is soo soft and gentle, protects my tender nipples, and it is getting me used to the feel of shoulder straps all the time. The girl who said that to me also said, "Don't worry about it, I wear one too."

Lovies,
Stephenie