PDA

View Full Version : Finding a doctor for HRT

kathydsch
01-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi everyone. Is there a certain kind of doctor I need to talk to about hormones? And where do I find one? What questions should I ask one? Thank you in advance, because I not quite sure about how to do this.

Hugs
Kathy

GypsyKaren
01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
You will need an endocrinologist. I can tell you that you'll have to call around to find one who will take you, be prepared for rejection. You will also more than likely need a letter from a therapist or p-doc stating you've been under their care and you are aware of what you're getting into, that you're TS and such...my endo doc wants a big list of my records over the years. You might find one who's easy, but I wouldn't count on it.

Karen

Scotty
01-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Here's a list of therapists US wide - it's obviously not complete so if you find oen that is "TG-FRiendly" please email anne with it so she can add it to the list.
Once you go through that you'll get recommended to a TG friendly doc so there wont' be the rejection etc - you'll be "In the loop" so to speak. It's a hidden world until you get there.

http://www.annelawrence.com/usindex.html

Stephenie S
01-06-2007, 12:37 AM
I found my therapist from the following list. I could not have been more satisfied.

Once you have a qualified therapist, the rest just falls into place. The therapist will refer you to an endocrinologist who will oversee you HRT. You should also involve you primary care physician in the loop as they will have responsibility for your overall healthcare.

The Standards of Care may sometimes seem like an impediment to your progress, but they are important safeguards to keep you sane and healthy.

Here is the link: http://www.drbecky.com/therapists.html

Stephenie

michelle19845
01-06-2007, 12:47 AM
i am waiting to hear from my psychiatrist on who to go to for the hormones i will be taking.haven't heard yet but when i do i'll let ya know.my doc said it don't always have to be an endocrinoligist to do hormones.i thought it did.but she said it don't.i'm waiting to hear still.

AmberTG
01-06-2007, 03:21 AM
The main reason my primary care doctor at the VA didn't prescribe HRT for me is because she's not familar with the protocols for HRT. That's why most doctors refer you to an Endo, they are not knowlagable on the procedures for HRT. If the family doc has some idea of how to go about it, they can prescribe just as easily as an Endo.