PDA

View Full Version : Non-Negotiable Names

CaptLex
01-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Last night a friend and I were discussing names of guys we would never date, based solely on past experiences with other guys that had those same names (okay, admittedly, we'd been drinking and were a little punchy). For example, I just know I couldn't date anyone that had the same name as my ex-husband, 'cause I've come to hate that name so much. :puke:

So, just for fun, is there any name you dislike so much that it would put you off from dating (or being friends with someone) that shared the same name? This question is open to everyone.

Kieron Andrew
01-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Mark.....a violent ex

Amanda Jane
01-06-2007, 10:11 PM
ok, i'll bite / i don't know about first names / but i would never date anyone whose last name was bush or cheney

Kieron Andrew
01-06-2007, 10:12 PM
ok, i'll bite / i don't know about first names / but i would never date anyone whose last name was bush or cheney
blair.........:roflmao:

MJ
01-06-2007, 10:20 PM
ok for me it would be valerie , reminds me of my ex

RevMoonSerpent
01-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Andrew . Ex fiance that should say it all.

dancinginthedark
01-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Allen. A violent ex & that's the nicest thing I think of to say about the $%^&.

Ellie
01-07-2007, 01:56 AM
For me it is Cindy or Cynthia (crazy ex GF).

I've also not had a lot of luck with Debbie's.

If I got to know someone with those names I would like to think that I could get past my bad experiences but so far I've just avoided them.

Kate Simmons
01-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Not that I can think of Cap. The only ones I'd probably steer clear would be anyone who insists on using two names like "Billie Bob" or "Chester Lee" , etc. and maybe doesn't have many teeth. Although, I do see rednecks as kind of a "special challenge" ever since I saw "Deliverance"(oink, oink):dom: :battingeyelashes:

dods460
01-07-2007, 02:37 AM
Although, I do see rednecks as kind of a "special challenge" ever since I saw "Deliverance"(oink, oink):dom: :battingeyelashes:
Ok I'm going to have nightmares now.
I tend to steer clear of Leannes ie. crazy ex

kerrianna
01-07-2007, 02:37 AM
Not that I can think of Cap. The only ones I'd probably steer clear would be anyone who insists on using two names like "Billie Bob" or "Chester Lee" , etc. and maybe doesn't have many teeth. Although, I do see rednecks as kind of a "special challenge" ever since I saw "Deliverance"(oink, oink):dom: :battingeyelashes:

:lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2:

You crack me up!

http://www.cinefilevideo.com/images/content/deliverance_dvd.jpg

Abraxas
01-07-2007, 03:38 AM
Oh, I don't know. Hmmm. Nothing to do with bad experiences, really-- I mean, I haven't had much experience at all, and none of it (in relationships, anyway, was all that bad. But as for names I don't really like, for whatever reason (or no reason at all) I'll go with Ned, Sam, Bill (although William or Will is fine-- so long as it's not Willie-- I'd giggle too much, haha)... Couldn't date a Bob or a Cody, since those are the names of two of my immediate family members and it'd be a bit weird. And I'm not big on Steve (name of my b*stard next-door neighbour) but Stephen or Stevie is fine.

Fallen Angel
01-07-2007, 04:41 AM
well for staters no cathy's or sheila's" ex wifes"
and never ever no jodi's,zoe's either all are on the top ten
theres a few more but never as bad as these

John
01-07-2007, 05:43 AM
No experience involved, but: 'Chantella'. I'd have to go away and giggle every they where introduced.:heehee:

Or 'Jane'.

Evert
01-07-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't have an ex.

But if I would date a guy one day (and I don't think so, I'm a straight male..) the name would be Danney. For a girl it would be Femke.

Danney and Femke, the bullies from school... It's been 3 years ago and i still hate them.. :Angry3:

pocoyo
01-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Possibly the name of my Mum's ex... or one of mine. But I THINK that I would just see them (the new partner) as a new person and the name would feel different on them anyway. So probably no name would be off limits dating-wise.

Now if you were talking about naming a pet or a kid... then I would seriously avoid many names because of the connection with the names.
When creating a character in a play or a book I am always really careful with picking names incase they make me think of someone with the same name. (Unless I was basing the character on someone, then I'd give them a similar type of name muahaha :devil:).

Abraxas
01-07-2007, 07:10 PM
When creating a character in a play or a book I am always really careful with picking names incase they make me think of someone with the same name. (Unless I was basing the character on someone, then I'd give them a similar type of name muahaha :devil:).

Same for me. I've been told I spend WAY too much time worrying about my characters' names. But I think it's one of the most important decisions a writer can make. Then again, every reader is going to have a different association or opinion about the name.

ZenFrost
01-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Allison, Bridget, and Deidre.

Not exs, just girls I can't stand. Just hearing the names makes my nerves stand on end.

Robin Leigh
01-08-2007, 01:36 AM
The only ones I'd probably steer clear would be anyone who insists on using two names like "Billie Bob" or "Chester Lee" , etc. and maybe doesn't have many teeth.Hey Ericka, I still have most of my teeth. :heehee:

When creating a character in a play or a book I am always really careful with picking names incase they make me think of someone with the same name. (Unless I was basing the character on someone, then I'd give them a similar type of name muahaha :devil:).It's not a waste of time, IMHO, pocoyo. Good character naming is an important part of the storyteller's craft, especially with short stories, where you generally don't get a huge amount of detail about the characters.

To answer CaptLex's question, I may have problems going out with someone with the same name as a certain ex I had back in the 1980s. She had a fairly uncommon name, and every time I hear it I'm reminded of her. :(

My mother and two of my sisters also have unusual names, and I think I'd feel a bit odd having an SO with the same name.

Robin

Dasein9
01-08-2007, 09:43 PM

Ouch! My ex-husband's name is Cheney! (Thank whatever gods may be I never took his name! Oi!)

Lex
01-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Well, I wouldn't totally shun a person just because of a name, but some names make me go blech.
Joshua, because of a kid in primary school who I hated. He had a perpetual aura of slimy-ness and he stuck one of my seashells up his nose.
And probably Paris because I can't stand Paris Hilton.